Author Topic: Help my takeaway  (Read 2975 times)

Offline pizzanmovie

Help my takeaway
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:31:26 AM »
Hi All,

What I am doing so wrong with my pizza takeaway, we just never seem to get much business, its been the same for two years now. We operate in a town of 28,000, there is three kebab shops that sell pizza and a Dominos. I donn't think the kebab shops pose to much competition but the big guy does. Are pizzas taste great, we get plenty of compliments and repeat customers. We are open 12:00 till 10:00pm, we are locate on a main road with lots of vehcle traffic but little foot traffic and have parking outside the front of the shop. The shop looks smart and clean. We provide free delivery and are usually there in 30-40mins. Our prices our competative and we do Buy One Get One FREE deal. We also provide free movie rentals with orders. We market with menu drops, email out weekly, direct mail to existing customers monthly and use our facebook fanpage daily. Customers can order and pay online.

We have been scratching our head for ages now and just can't put our finger on why we are always so quiet.  ???

Any help appreciated.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Help my takeaway
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
My kids school has dough night, and they put a note in with the kids binder (the binder must me signed by a parent every night)  On a given night when you call an order a pizza and tell them the elementary school name, a portion of the sales go back to the PTA for that school.  Maybe forget the free pizza and use some of that money to give back.

It seems once there was a competetion amongs the classes.  Same premise as before, but insead of giving money back to the school, the pizza place gave the winning class (those who had ordered the most pizzas on dough night) a pizza party at the school for lunch.

Most of the pizzas were cheese only for $5 to $7 add a topping for a nominal charge.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PaultheThird

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
Its difficult for small businesses to compete directly with large, well known, and well capitalized competitors.  You certainly can't match their advertising spend and competing on price is generally a losing proposition.  This generally means you need to be more creative. I like the free movies. If the buy one get one offer is not effective, I would lose it as it devalues your product.

Here are some ideas:
1 Focus on proactively getting people to try the product. This means you go to them as opposed to waiting for them to come to you.Bake up some free pies for the fire department, school events, or police/ government officials.  Perhaps bake up a couple of pies and run them to neighboring businesses.  Go to where the customers are (community events, schools, businesses, wherever your customers are)What ever you do, you've got to get people to eat the food. Make sure to leave your info and you might consider leaving a coupon to seed the first visit.
2. Know your competition. Who are the players? Who is doing the most business? Why? Have you tasted their product or visited their establishments? Why are people visiting them and not you?  What are they doing better than you/ worse than you?
3.Set goals and   try a lot of different things to achieve them.  Be willing to get rid of what doesnt work.  How much money do you need to generate in order to make this worth your while? How many pizzas do you need to sell in order to get to that number? Whats breakeven?  The point of all this is that it focuses you and your team on whats important.

Good luck!

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
Send out some of those full page ad's out to everyone in the mail (with a great deal on a one item large and small for $5 and large for $6.99). Include a fantastic pepperoni pizza picture of one of the ones you sell. The place around the corner from me does this. I always go back... :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
Oh, and a good mozzarella/provolone cheese combo is a must! :D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline PaultheThird

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
Great point Trinity! I often try out BBQ places because of how good the food looks in advertisements.  Just make sure your food tastes as good or better than  it looks!

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Thanks for motivation guys,

Buy One Get One Free is hard to get rid of when every pizza place in town is doing it. Trying a new tactic when our new posters arrive. Small pizzas and a happy hour special just to lure people in a try our pizzas.

It still is frustrating, we get compliments on the movie idea, compliements on our online ordering, delivery speed, facebook page and are pizzas have such a good reputation and they are smelling so good in the shop right now.

We will see what our small 'PizzaFix' stratergy does.

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
As with the buy one get on free, if all our comptetiors are doing it and doing for a couple of years now(i guess we are in 'pizza wars') I will have to keep doing it, but I will gradually increase the price of the pizzas.

I do feel that many people do not want two pizzas all the time, so I am going to push one pizza deals and go for volume as opposed to high order value.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »
One thing that bum's me out is the 'buy one get one free thing'... I just want 'one' at a great price. They do this with the 'lunch-time special' where I go.

OT... Same thing goes with Krogers and their bogof  beef pot roast sales... Grrrrrr

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
good point trinity, i think most people only want one pizza. It reminds when I worked in grocery and our manager made a deal of BOGOF on a pack of 24 yoghurts that were going out of date, who on earth wants 48 yoghurts need the end of date.

Single pizza deals is the way!

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
Look what I just dug up... :P

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,984.0.html

Bambinos is my quick fix place. (yum I like it like this). And Gino's is the King of Pizza In Toledo. :D

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
Thanks Trinity

tomorrow I'll post pics of our pizzas, we are so proud of them.

Our 'Godfather Pizza' has salami, pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, mushroom and peppers. It is ridiculously good.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »
Can't wait to see. :)

Post up a nice pepperoni pizza too! :D :pizza:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
i always recommend anonymous customer comment cards.  you'll never get honest feedback face to face.  give a free drink voucher for their next visit if they'll fill one out and drop it in a box. 
bill

PaulsPizza

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Thanks Trinity

tomorrow I'll post pics of our pizzas, we are so proud of them.

Our 'Godfather Pizza' has salami, pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, mushroom and peppers. It is ridiculously good.

I think I speak as a whole forum when I say...'we are really,really looking forward to this picture'
Sounds greasy/veggie ummm.... :-)

PaulsPizza

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
PizzanMovie dude...can I post pics of the pizza I had from yours?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:17:18 AM by PaulsPizza »

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
Got camera today, so I'll be snapping pics tonights!

@paulspizza - Sure post pics of ours, how was the pizza? honest feedback really required. Thanks.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
Waiting for the 'tada' picture. :pizza:

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Get snazy and try a shot of taking the first slice out of the pie with the cheese stretching out. 8)

Take pic's with flash on and off. ;) Can't wait to see! :pizza:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:07:59 AM by Trinity »

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
Godfather Pizza before cooking :)