Author Topic: Mom's Pizza Recipe  (Read 2279 times)

Offline BrandnamePizza

• I Love Pizza!
Mom's Pizza Recipe
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:13:13 AM »
This is the recipe that my mother passed on to me...

For the dough:
4 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil

Pour the water in a large mixing bowl then add the yeast. Stir until the yeast is completely dissolved. add the salt and oil. Gradually mix in the flour until dough forms a dough ball but is still tacky, I guess this would be about 65% hydration. Place dough on floured counter top and knead, want , desire, love the dough. Place dough back into cleaned out mixing bowl. Place kitchen towel over the bowl and let rise for about two hours.

When dough has risen... preheat oven to 450 degrees. This recipe makes two 12"-16" pies. (When I make it I triple the recipe and make six pizzas ;D) Pour oil on center of pizza pans. Spread oil to cover pans. Cut dough in bowl in half and make two dough balls. Place dough on pans. Start to flatten dough. Flip dough over to cover in oil and flip over again. Flatten dough to edge of pans. Top with choice of sauce and toppings. Cook for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Rotate half way through cooking time.

My toppings are pretty simple. For the sauce I just use Hunt's tomato sauce. Then, mozzarella cheese. Next is oregano and then sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.

I don't use a mixer for mixing the dough, just a spoon. I actually don't measure out the flour either, I just slowly add it when mixing until it gets to a point that it's tacky enough to just stick to spoon and fingers that are lightly coated with flour. More flour gets mixed in when kneading (not to much, though). Sometimes after the dough has risen I'll punch the dough and let it rise again for a lighter crust. The finished pizza has a thinner crust that is nice and crisp.

Some of the ingredients I use: I use Fleischman's rapid rise yeast packets. Regular unbleached flour (though now I'm going to pick up some King Arthur flour). The oil I use is canola oil, sometimes I use extra virgin olive oil. I have been using Sargento's cheese but I am looking for Grande cheese to try that out. Hunt's tomato sauce for the sauce and Kraft Parmesan.

I'll try to get some pics up soon. I know my brothers and I took step by step pictures several years ago when I visited my mom. If I can't get those than I'll take pics the next time I make it.

Offline BrandnamePizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mom's Pizza Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 07:49:53 PM »
Well finally got around to actually taking and posting the pics... I guess they would be in the category of Chicago style thin crust. At least from the description of this thread... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1320.0.html

Here is the first one...

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Kahhon/pizza.jpg)

After devouring that one... here are the other five I made that night...

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Kahhon/pizzas.jpg)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: Mom's Pizza Recipe
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:09:42 PM »
Thank God for Mom's. Your recipe is very close to the one my Mother handed down. Looks great!