Author Topic: Baking on my 1/4 inch steel plate  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
Re: Baking on my 1/4 inch steel plate
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
I forgot to mention, I used Pizzzagirl's Lehmann NY Style Dough REcipe.  The dough was wonderful to handle.  I loved it!
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
Hi Regina,

I did not see this post until tonight.The pizzas are looking fantastic! Keep up the great work!.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Hi Regina,

I did not see this post until tonight.The pizzas are looking fantastic! Keep up the great work!.
 :)

Thanks Bill,

I hope to have better success tonight though.  I have to play around with the temps, time and position!
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »
I made 2 pizzas last Friday.  I kept the 1/4 inch plate in the same position.  I heated the oven longer but could not get additional heat from the plate.  The end results were a bit dissapointing.  I didn't get enough crispness on the bottom of the crust without cooking it for a lengthy time.  I will have to do more experimenting or maybe go back to my stone.  It seems to cook more thoroughly but takes a long time to heat up again for the second pizza.   :(
Regina

John Muir

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Regina, that looks pretty good.  I did some experimenting myself and decided not to get too hung up on time.  As you guessed it is mainly trying diff temps until you find one that doesn't burn the top, but gets a good crust on the top.  One thing I picked up was that even when the top broiler went off, it still has a lot of heat and can lead to a burned top.

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
Regina, that looks pretty good.  I did some experimenting myself and decided not to get too hung up on time.  As you guessed it is mainly trying diff temps until you find one that doesn't burn the top, but gets a good crust on the top.  One thing I picked up was that even when the top broiler went off, it still has a lot of heat and can lead to a burned top.

barryvabeach, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the cooking time.  Are you still cooking on a steel plate?  I may try lowering the plate in the oven and like you say, not get too hung up on time.  Then I could turn on the broiler for the last minute.  I don't want to give up on it yet.  Have a good day.
Regina

John Muir

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
I baked 2 pies on my steel plate on Friday night using http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14486.msg148739.html#msg148739 as my recipe.  I moved the plate to the lower position in the oven and as suggested, didn't really keep track of the time, just watched and when it looked right I put it under the broiler for a very short time.  The pies came out really good.  I probably could have shortened the bake just a bit.  The underside was spotted and crisp.  The rim was perfect with some chew.  I did not take any pictures.  But I am very pleased with the results I got.  I liked Bill's recipe a lot and my husband said don't change it! :pizza:
Regina

John Muir

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
Regina,  glad you got some good results.   I haven't used the steel plate lately because it has been pretty hot, so I am using the grill instead.  I use a corderite stone and get some good results, though this last weekend the first pie had a great bottom, and the second one not so much, I think the stone may have given up too much heat to the first pie, and I didn't give it enough time to recharge , so I am thinking of going back to the steel plate on the grill.  My problem with that is determining the right temperature to get the bottom crispy, but not burnt or stuck.  The corderite can get to 600 and it doesn't burn the bottom because the heat transfer is not as efficient as the steel - I haven't found the highest temp at which a pie won't stick and burn within a minute or two, but I am guessing somewhere around 550 to 575 when using a grill with the burners on.

pizzapan