Author Topic: Miss. Man Brings Home 150 Pizzas From Mass. Restaurant  (Read 2056 times)

Offline PiedPiper

Miss. Man Brings Home 150 Pizzas From Mass. Restaurant
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »
This news clip made me chuckle, maybe he should of tried to learn to make it himself at pizzamaking.com

http://www.wapt.com/news/28868786/detail.html

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Miss. Man Brings Home 150 Pizzas From Mass. Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »
You can tell by the look in his eyes that he is SERIOUS about Town Spa pizza.  If that isn't pizza obsession, I don't know what is.   :-D

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
It is a unique pizza,  and the only one I have ever seen list MSG as an ingredient.  I cant figure ourt if its in the sauce or the crust.  It did make me think about using MSG in a dough though,  I am sure it would kick up all those bready flavors.  -Marc

scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Someone really needs to give this guy a link to this site.  If he took the time he put into planning and making this trip into actually learning how to make pizza, he could be baking these pizzas in a matter of months. Oh, and there's no WAY a re-heated frozen pizza will be better than something that he re-engineers and can consume fresh.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
Craigs list ad in MS ---  NY style pizza direct from Boston available locally for a limited time  $14 ea !! (complete with MSG) 75%  markup not bad eh? compared to the Malnatis prices right?
oh just kidding not really a CL post but I didnt look either  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »
marc, the accent (msg) is in the sauce.   Its actually more common in pizza sauces than you may think, especially greek bar style pizzas.   I hope this guy is going to be ok....150 pizzas made with bromated flour and MSG a year can't be a good thing. 

scott123

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
I hope this guy is going to be ok....150 pizzas made with bromated flour and MSG a year can't be a good thing. 

Seriously?  Considering that our bodies generate a form of MSG and bromate packs the carcinogenic punch of going outside, I guess we're all in trouble, right? Do you get worried when you see people eating tomatoes?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
I think he said he had 9 or 12 kids or something like that, so he's probably not eating it all by himself.  I wouldn't be surprise if he made that trip 2-3 times a year.  

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
Seriously?  Considering that our bodies generate a form of MSG and bromate packs the carcinogenic punch of going outside, I guess we're all in trouble, right? Do you get worried when you see people eating tomatoes?

Yeah, I have heard that MSG isn't really that bad for you.   I was just sort of joking around with my post, but.....

this is all news to me about bromate not being harmful.   can you elaborate?   what does it have to do with going outside and tomatoes?  

Maybe I am crazy, but being a known carcinogen I have been trying to avoid it.    I sure would love to not have to avoid it though,  so please fill me in with your take on this.     
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:18:34 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
also, sorry to take this thread away from its purpose...feel free to pm

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
Yeah, I have heard that MSG isn't really that bad for you.   I was just sort of joking around with my post, but.....

this is all news to me about bromate not being harmful.   can you elaborate?   what does it have to do with going outside and tomatoes?  

Maybe I am crazy, but being a known carcinogen I have been trying to avoid it.    I sure would love to not have to avoid it though,  so please fill me in with your take on this.     

I think he is referring to the radiation outside (solar and other) being a carcinogen and MSG naturally occurring in tomatoes.

It will be tough to avoid carcinogens if you love pizza. The benzo[a]pyrene in the char is highly carcinogenic and mutagenic... not proven to be dangerous in the levels found in burnt bread though I doubt pizza has been studied. Bromate, on the other hand, is only classified as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

CL
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

scott123

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »
I think Bromine/potassium bromate and MSG are both harmful to human health, I wouldn't  knowingly put them in my food or  serve it to my customers. My understanding is that halogen's (bromine/bromate) displace iodine in the thyroid.

http://www.iodine-resource.com/potassium-bromate.html

MSG is a Excitotoxin.

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/docs/item1225

scott123

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »
Grimaldi, I really have no problems with people that get high once in a while.  I don't do it myself, personally, but if people want to occasionally relax in that manner, all power to them.  It's when they start toking every single day that you start to see problems.  Not for everyone, mind you- I know people that smoke all day long and who live productive and happy lives.  But for some, pot can have negative side effects.  One of those side effects is paranoia.  It's this kind of hypochondria and baseless fear of the 'non-natural' that sets the stage for websites like those.

Just because crackpots have websites doesn't make what they're saying any truer.  I could post a link to a holocaust denial blog and it would, in a million years, never prove that the holocaust didn't happen.

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
Not really sure how this thread turned into a discussion on bromine and getting high but here is more to the story.

http://www.wapt.com/news/28880733/detail.html

scott123

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
I don't blame him for saying no.  There's no chance they can beat out his favorite pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
Or he's worried he might not be able to tell the difference (or like the other more)...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
Town Spa makes the best pizza but he's not up for a challenge?  ???

He can still do the challenge AND continue to make the drive afterwards if he really wants to keep that tradition alive.   Or he can just simply take the $1200 in credit they are willing to give him just for taking the challenge and telling them they lose.

This guy is blindly loyal to Town Spa.  ::)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
You guys would laugh so hard if you could have some town spa.   I mean... I get it,   I really do,   and it is THE pizzeria that my wife and her family have grown up loving.   But trust me,   He could spend a few weeks reading our forum and make the same pizza even better at home.     We need to get him on our forum and save him some money :)

scott123

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
He can tell the difference.

Town Spa Pizza (his favorite)

http://www.hiddenboston.com/images/TownSpa.jpg

Sal & Mookies 'New York' Pizza

http://gidgeteats.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/121910_salandmookies5.jpg

Photo #1 is pizza. Photo #2 is an embarrassment. 'Authentic' NY Style pizza, my ass.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
He can tell the difference.

'Authentic' NY Style pizza, my ass.

Agreed

The Town Spa pie does look good. Still think he should take the free pizza though... help him make-up the $500 he spent on gas to get the Town Spa pies.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:26:04 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »

Photo #1 is pizza. Photo #2 is an embarrassment. 'Authentic' NY Style pizza, my ass.

authentic pretzel crust maybe!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
They are running a promo on their website - buy 4 tires and get $50 in pizza. Seems fitting.

Reminds me of Caddyshack; "Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup."

pizzapan