Author Topic: Neo guy tries NY  (Read 5349 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Neo guy tries NY
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
just for fun i tried a NY style pizza in my gas oven.  I used the Lehman recipe with KABF.  Much easier than firing the WFO after work. here's my setup and result.  another good pizza thanks to PizzaMaking.com.
Bill

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Neo guy tries NY
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
Very very nice and wonderful crumb! What size was that pie and what cheese did you use?

:)
-Bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
thanks!
it was about 15".  i used WF mozz and monterey jack.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Great job Bill!  That's a delicious looking pie.  Crumb looks great too.  I'm curious to know what hydration you used and what type of yeast.

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
Bill - Great job. I would like to know what temperature you baked the pie at, and for how long you pre-heated the oven. I have the exact same Wolf oven, and have never gotten great results such as this.

John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
thanks guys!  i used 60% hydration, 1/4 t. SAF red instant yeast, 3/4t. OO, for total dough weight of 536g.  i balled it up after mixing and after kneading a bit, i forgot to put in in the fridge for a couple of hours.  it rose a fair amount by the time i remembered it so i re-balled it and stuck it in for 18 hr. or so.  I pre-heated for an hour and the stones were at 540.  cooked 6min and broiled for 1 min. 
bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Very Nice fun right? I have the wolf also but it has the Bake stone setting and element underneath really works great !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
john,
what is bake stone setting? 

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
What kind of stone is that? 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
it's two 14"x16" stones from Williams Sonoma.  they almost exactly fill up the whole shelf. 

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Oh! I think I have the same stone, if so, it's good one!   I wish it was the same color as when I bought it though  ::)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
i've tried this recipe a few more times.  it seems that the best results have come when i forget to put the dough in the fridge.  last night i forgot it completely and left it at RT for 12 hours.  the dough was all blown up this morning so i re-balled it and stuck it in the fridge. The pizza was good.  it got a nice oven spring on the rim that i like.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
it seems that the best results have come when i forget to put the dough in the fridge.

It puts a smile on my face to see you write this Bill. I really believe the fridge is not the way to get the best pizza. It is worth the time and effort to learn how to do extended room temp fermentation. Just my $0.02.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Beautiful pie by the way.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
thanks Craig!  i never use cold fermentation with my Neo doughs.  this NY thing has been my "lazy pizza".  I went straight by the 1st recipe i found under NY pizza. maybe i'll put more effort into it in the future.  for now it's fun and easy for a dinner for 2.
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:25 AM »
I did a little research when i was in NY this week.  I've never paid too much attention to real NY style pizza so i thought i would give it a try so i have a good reference. 
we went to the original Patsy's in Harlem.  i remember Verasano talking about it and it seemed like a good place to start.  cool cool place.  the coal oven was built in '33.  it's really big.  we let the waitress recommend two most popular pies and got a fresh mozz and basil, and a mushroom and pepperoni.  i was surprised at the thinness - i guess the picture in my mind was off.  not much rim puff either.  it was good but not mind bending.  we had a nice lunch and i learned a thing or two.   i'll have to make another NY attempt soon to try to get closer to what we saw there.  didn't i read about people trying to catch Patsy's culture?  does that mean they use sourdough? 
bill

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
I believe there was unanimous conclusion that they are not.  Varasano took a dough home, and tried to make a culture out of it, but ended up catching something in the air.   

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
it would be surprising to me if they are. 

what are the recommended spots currently for NY textbook NY style pizza?   

bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
it was good but not mind bending. 
My impression too.

didn't i read about people trying to catch Patsy's culture?  does that mean they use sourdough? 
I bought a dough ball when I was there and took it home and grew a culture out of it. I'm 98% certain it was regular yeast and not any type of sourdough.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
My impression too.
I bought a dough ball when I was there and took it home and grew a culture out of it. I'm 98% certain it was regular yeast and not any type of sourdough.

CL

You are 100% right.They use yeast,not sourdoughs.
-Bill

pizzapan