Author Topic: Neo guy tries NY  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Neo guy tries NY
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
Do you guys know if Patsy's adds commercial yeast each time they make dough or if they are using old dough or mother dough to ferment the dough. 

If they are using old dough or mother dough, even if the original source of yeast is a commercial yeast, it may be possible that a natural/wild yeast has taken over at some point thoughout the years, BUT IMO I would think it is highly unlikely. 

Chau

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »
i made another attempt at NY the other night.  i used this flour that we got at Eataly.  much larger and thinner pizza.  don't know much about the flour other than the baker there recommended it for pizza over the other one that actually said for pizza on it.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
here's another attempt with half marino and half KABF.  i'm still having trouble getting it thin enough but i do like the crown.  baked at about 630 for 6 min with broiler at the end. 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
I've been working on the NY style in my home oven in between WFO firings.  my first attempts were pretty lackluster so i have been trying harder.  tonight we did two - one with sausage and one with bacon and calabria pepper paste.  i used glutenboy's recipe with a little OO added.  4 days in the fridge...

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
i have the bake time down to about 3-1/2 min.  i keep the oven on broil for a long pre-heat and during the bake.  stone temp is about 640f.   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
Very nice!!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
Fantastic Bill. I love the bacon and calabrian chile combo. And getting the stone in the 600's is so key.

John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
Thanks john & john!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
ScottR asked me to try some NY style pies in my Blazingovens trailer mounted oven.  i'm a rank beginner at NY but i gave it a try.  i used glutenboy's recipe with KABF, 61% hyd., 0.3% SAF instant, 2.5% salt and a squirt of EVO.  Bulk for 24 hours at 63f. and in balls for 3 days at 57f.
i fired the oven lightly with a smaller than usual fire and just kept a nice flame going for about 3-1/2 hours.  i raked the coals and the floor was at about 800.  i waited for 30 min or so and fired the first pie in at about 700.  i kept a small fire going the whole time. second pie cooked a little lower.  cooking time on both was 3 min. 
the pies were good for my NY attempts but the best thing i have to offer is that the oven cooked them evenly top and bottom at the prescribed cook time.  i have one ball left over and i'll try to cook it tomorrow in my other oven as i plan to fire it for bread baking.  i believe it too will produce a balanced cook.  any advice on this type pies would be appreciated! 
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
second try....

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Those look really good. Even looks like you got a bit of leoparding on the slower bake. The bottom of the pizza looks amazing too. Scott gave me a hard time about my rim being too puffy too.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »
Those look so delicious! It does have a more Neo-NY style.Your oven is throwing heat at it where a deck oven could not.Wonderful pie any way ya slice it.
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
Good looking pies!  :D
I'll be trying my NY dough in the wfo tomorrow, myself.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 01:34:38 AM »
Bill, thank you so much for doing this!    Buying an oven to be put in my home is definitely something I need to research, and theres nothing better than first hand information.  Its great to see that this was such an easy and even bake, and ill assume that it would stay that way even through 10 or so pies, which is probably about the maximum I would do (making 18 inchers).   Im glad that you used aged mozzarella, as that will let you know right away if there is too much top heat. 

Im curious,  did you notice that the pizza was any crispier than what you make in your home oven at these same speeds?   Also see if you notice a difference in your other oven tomorrow on the crispness factor.   

These pizzas look very much like patsys, which come out of one of the hottest coal ovens in NY (Luzzos is hotter).  I have seen this slight "nod to neapolitan" look that you achieved from Patsy's pizza as well.  Im not sure if you liked these pies as much as what you had at patsys but if you really want to go for the patsys thing get some bromated high gluten flour.   They do a one day cold ferment , but I have a feeling your extend fermentation is an even a better way to go.   Non bromated all trumps works great too.   

Chau, patsys doesnt use any mother dough.... new yeast is added every day.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:52 AM »
Bill,

Those NY style pies in your WFO look amazing!  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jever4321

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Yum! Nice work.
-Jay

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
I did my bake yesterday. I revived my old "NY in the wfo" thread and posted my results there.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
i used the last doughball from 5 days ago in my brick oven (FB artigiano 100).  the dough was really nice.  i don't think it was overfermented.  it reminded me of neo dough.  TXCraig has convinced me not to refrigerate doughballs under any conditions so these were probably ahead of the curve compared to the standard glutenboy recipe.  i did keep them at 57 after the first day of 64 in bulk. 
the brick oven performed much the same as my trailer oven.  i fired it in similar fashon with a much smaller fire than i would normally use and cooked at about 650 with one small log giving an open flame.  this pie cooked for 3:20. the crust was similar to yesterday's - nice and soft but with a crispness that was most noticeable around the rim.  great flavor.  i may have to try using commercial yeast in neo pies again.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
Wheelman! THAT is a pie worthy of any great NY Pizzaria. AWESOME!  :chef:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
thank you Bigfoot!