Author Topic: My name's Atticus and I'm a pizza-holic!  (Read 561 times)

Offline Atticus

My name's Atticus and I'm a pizza-holic!
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »
What a lucky find!  A site dedicated solely to pizza making :)

Anyway, I've been determined to try and make my own authentic pizza at home for quite some time.  "Surely," I've frequently reasoned, "there must be a way to make a pizza at home that's just as good a proper pizzeria!"

Well, it's a rainy afternoon here in Lancashire so I thought I'd give it a try.  We've got all the ingredients in the cupboard, a groovy Kitchenaid mixer, so why not give it go?

However, after a few failed attempts which left various wads of sticky dough condemned to the rubbish bin, I stumbled upon this site whilst searching for another "fool proof" recipe.  Hopefully, pizzamaking.com will have all of the answers and information that I need.

Here's hoping  :)

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: My name's Atticus and I'm a pizza-holic!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
Hello Atticus!

Sticky dough can be a real big hill for first time pizza makers!   A good idea is to not worry about it and get to grips with the dough, and not plan on eating that particular pizza for dinner!   It takes the pressure off!

If you have any questions, the search function will normal give you a good answer!

I might suggest just off the cuff, that you use a lower hydration at first, 'hydration' is the amount of water used in a recipe.   

What recipe did you follow? you may not be able to post a link at the moment due to the number of posts made but you can give us an idea.

Offline kajsdfsjdfk

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
Welcome Atticus! My name is Emily and I'm also a pizza-holic! Please let me know what recipes you're finding, I'm always looking for new suggestions!

Offline Atticus

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »
Many thanks for the helpful tips!

I've been obsessed with this pizza making idea for quite some time and now it's all coming together, thanks mainly to the helpful people who have made the effort to care and share here.  :D

I've made a couple of batches since the original post and have had mainly successful results.  I will take some pics of the next batch and post them for all to see.  So far the wife and kids like them and I don't think they're trying to be polite  ;)

Once again, many to thanks to one and all for making this an interesting, educational and enjoyably good site to read!

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Where in Lancashire are you from?

Regards, a Lancaster resident.

Offline Atticus

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
Hiya, Jonesy!

I'm right near Chorley. I'm originally a Yank, but I married a Lancashire lass and have lived in the area for almost nine years now.  We're pretty much settled here - despite the weather - and so far so good :)

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »
Ahh, I spent the first 4 years of my life in Chorley and have many friends in that area.