Author Topic: Looking to fulfill Childhood Dream of opening a Pizzeria! Providence RI  (Read 373 times)

Offline Pizzqueya

I grew up in NYC and was very accustomed to walking a block or two from my apt to grab a slice of great pizza. Moved to Providence at a young age and really miss having that slice down the street. Dont get me wrong we have a few good places-but nothing like those big foldable,cheesy slices from washington heights. I dont know if thats the BEST pizza or if its everyones cup of tea but i do know that the two places i would go to in nyc have been open for over 45 years!! theyre doing something right. I look forward to replicating that same taste or close to it in my own shop. Literally started building from the ground up-in the midst of construction now.  Hopefully open sometime in the fall. If anyone has any advice or suggestions feel free to respond. Thanks!!  :pizza:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Looking to fulfill Childhood Dream of opening a Pizzeria! Providence RI
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
welcome to the forum.   I can't wait to come try your pizzeria when it is up and running.   I live close to you.    There is not much in the way of good NY style pizza around these parts, so im sure you will have lots of happy customers.   Good luck!

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Pizzqueya,

Welcome to the forum.  That's great that you're (hopefully) blessing the kind people of Providence with a great slice of NY style pizza.
Since you're building this place from the ground up, I'm guessing you've got a blueprint, right?  How large of a walk-in will the place have?
Have you picked out an oven?
How many pizzas are you planning on selling each day? Are you planning on selling slices?
What Washington Heights places are you patterning your pizzas after?
You've already replicated the Washington Heights pizza at home, right? If you haven't, and you plan on opening a shop this fall, you need to start making LOTS of pizza, right this second.  Time is of the essence.  You can't find some 'ideal' recipe and open a shop a few weeks later. You have to take a good recipe and make it over and over again until it's yours.  Because of all the environment variables, it takes a lot of trial and error/a long time to zero in on yeast quantities and to learn to detect when a dough is properly fermented.  There's also physical skills that take, in my opinion, months to master, like hand stretching and launching from a peel.

I sincerely hope you're making some amazing pizzas at home, because, from what I've seen, it takes at least a year and a half of making great pizzas at home to have the necessary skill set to open a pizzeria and then at least a month to convert a home recipe to an commercial oven.

I'm not trying to alarm you, I'm just trying to make you aware of the reality.  Because the economic climate is turning people toward less expensive food options, this is one of the best possible times to open a pizzeria.  That being said, if you make crap pizza, you won't stay open.  And if you start off making crap pizza and then improve as you go, you'll still be in a precarious position because of the impact made from the first impression.

Offline teglia

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
you'll still be in a precarious position because of the impact made from the first impression.
I agree with this completely, there are growing pains in opening a restaurant but you have to try to minimize and make them minimal. Have you ever worked in a pizzeria? I assume you have been making pizza's at home and i know there adjustments you need to make for mass producing the dough, im not the best to ask about that because i am still learning about adjusting recipes according to size and what water temp to use for how much dough you are producing.
If nothing else make sure you are ready for opening the pizzeria mentally and have the skills necessary. I think it would be better to put it off a couple of months if you are not ready. I would be interested in seeing some of the pies you have made at home. Best of luck to you.

pizzapan