Author Topic: How important is an open kitchen.  (Read 2461 times)

Offline pizzanmovie

How important is an open kitchen.
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
We had a refurb to move our counter forward, but looking at our shop now, you can't really see the nice stainless steel kitchen.

How big a factor do you think an open kitchen is? and should I knock a few walls down so customers can see the pizzas being made?

Online TXCraig1

Re: How important is an open kitchen.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »
I prefer the open kitchen - particularly if it has front row seating. I'm a fanatic though. I'm not sure the general population cares much if the pies are good. I've been to plenty of places where it is difficult to see the pies being made and were packed with customers.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
Regardless of what food is being made I prefer to see an open kitchen! 

Offline Tman1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
I think it's a huge factor that is overlooked if you're doing wood fired pizza. The 'show' will help bring people in (everybody loves a fire- just think of all the times you stare in a campfire). I also think that some of the mobile units out there that hide the oven mouth from people are hurting themselves.

Offline pizzanmovie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
We don't wood fire(love to, but wont get permit). But it seems knocking this wall down would only be a good thing.

Offline PizzazPizza

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
All my stores have had an "open" concept like you discuss.  I can't say for sure if that's better or not as I've done it no other way.

For me though, I'd have it no other way.

Benefits...

1.  Kids seem to love the idea of watching us make pizza.
2.  Forces employees to keep the pizza make and oven area tidy :-)
3.  Allows better interaction between my staff and my customers

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »
Just make sure it's not a structural load-bearing wall before you knock it down! :o
Seems like common sense, but stranger things have happened.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
Something to keep in mind. Open kitchen reveals what you're doing. I just had an experience with a WFO place with an open kitchen, and I was able to see first hand why I should never go back. The taste of the pies confirmed this.

Open kitchens are good for a business that will not be hurt by transparency.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
What is your business concept?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »
I had an open kitchen and loved it, great motivator for keeping the place spotless.
Don

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
I had an open kitchen and loved it, great motivator for keeping the place spotless.
Don

Yup. No hiding in an open kitchen!

For a pizza joint, I am always extremely wary of anyplace where I cannot see the pizzas being made. Then again I am not the "average" customer, so my opinion doesn't really count. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
If I opened a pizzeria in an empty shell, I would most certainly design it to have an open kitchen, because I want people to see how we prepare the food we serve. I want people to see that we wash our hands and treat everyone's food as if we were making it for ourselves. That's in addition to the things other people have already mentioned.

Unlike many (or most) pizza joints, which hide their kitchen behind a wall, "Ryan's Pizzeria" has nothing to hide. Prospective and existing customers notice and respond to things like that.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
I don't care if you are a "foodie" or a "pizza fanatic", a kitchen where you can see your pizza being prepared is awesome. As a customer, it's a fascinating show. 

But only if done right.  I've been to some places where they should never let people see what conditions their food is coming from. 

Do it right, +10 from critics and customers.  Do it wrong, -20, instant death, and many complaints to the Health Dept.

It's a risk, but worth taking.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline aerotech

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
We are in the process of designing our restaurant and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some pictures of their open kitchen design.  ;D

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
The open kitchen is was what made Shakey's great as kid.

I posted this once before in another thread, I had a discussion of Shakey's at another site (non-pizza) and a guy posted something that I think captured it all and worth repeating here ...

"Shakey's Pizza . . . yes, I'm old enough to remember that Tulsa icon! I loved going there, pressing my nose against the window, watching the cooks toss the dough in the air, waiting for your playing card (which was your order "number") to be called, listening to that lady playing the piano, sitting on the long bench seats at the picnic style tables with parents drinking pitchers of beer . . . Yes, those WERE the days!! Between those memories and that picture my mouth is watering right now!"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:21:53 AM by ThatsAmore »
Who put that pie in my eye ?