Author Topic: Aurelio's Quest  (Read 10864 times)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
Re: Aurelio's Quest
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »
Mrmojo1,

Yeah, I really think Classico may be the key, but i dunno for sure.  They are made at the same plant as 6-in1, according to the sales rep I talked to.  The Classico are sweet as is, right out of the can.  I've also made this recipe with Classico peeled ground, and that worked, too.

I don't know what's in it right now.  I'm on the road.  Sorry.

HTH.

Cheers,
Garvey

[edit: the more I think about it, yeah, the Classico are just pure awesome.  The sugar/salt ratio issue Chicago Bob mentioned could be a problem if you use something else.  This recipe is configured for Classico.  I wish I lived in 6-in-1's distribution, bit this is either the same product or very, very close.]

Where can the Classico brand be purchased? I live in Canada and my border crossing is NY/VT. I have access to Walmart and Price Chopper.  tks
Carl

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
2nd attempt.  Bang!
450F.  10 in cutter pan on stone 2nd rack, 3 just pan on top rack, 5 direct on stone.

Love the knobs of sausage.  Great looking pie!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Where can the Classico brand be purchased? I live in Canada and my border crossing is NY/VT. I have access to Walmart and Price Chopper.  tks

Carl:

Sadly, Classico has since been discontinued since that post was written in 2012.  A few months ago, I found some at Ollie's and cleaned out the store.  My wife thought I was nuts when I came home with 50 cans of tomatoes.

However, the Classico tomatoes were merely a re-badged and widely distributed version of Escalon's 6-in-1 product, which are still available.  But your being in Canada is problematic, since Escalon will only ship in the US.  Know anyone near your border crossing that can order them for you?

If looking for a good substitute, find something that is naturally sweet and has no added citric acid or preservatives, whatsoever.  This product is very "bright".  Even my wife, who rolls her eyes at 99% of my foodie-isms, said that these tomatoes made a huge difference in pizza.

Garvey

Offline Garvey

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:33 PM »
Hey y'all--any good recommendations on substitutes for Carl?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
Hey y'all--any good recommendations on substitutes for Carl?
Stanislaus tomato products are sometimes sold into Canada. As of a few years ago, Sysco and Gordon Food Service were foodservice companies doing business in Canada. The GFS has physical locations in several U.S. states bordering on Canada and I believe they may have stores where their products can be purchased but the stores are quite a way from Montreal. GFS' service area can be seen at http://www.gfs.com/en/food-service-distribution/service-areas. I think Carl's best bet would be to find a pizzeria in the Montreal area that uses Stanislaus tomatoes and hope that they will sell or order some for him. The closest match to the 6-in-1s might be the Tomato Magic. All Stanislaus tomatoes have naturally derived citric acid in them. The 6-in-1s also have naturally derived citric acid in them. Escalon just doesn't add any to its tomatoes. This is something I learned from a food broker several years ago and discussed, among other places, in Reply 1731 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg194622/topicseen.html#msg194622.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
Stanislaus tomato products are sometimes sold into Canada. As of a few years ago, Sysco and Gordon Food Service were foodservice companies doing business in Canada. The GFS has physical locations in several U.S. states bordering on Canada and I believe they may have stores where their products can be purchased but the stores are quite a way from Montreal. GFS' service area can be seen at http://www.gfs.com/en/food-service-distribution/service-areas. I think Carl's best bet would be to find a pizzeria in the Montreal area that uses Stanislaus tomatoes and hope that they will sell or order some for him. The closest match to the 6-in-1s might be the Tomato Magic. All Stanislaus tomatoes have naturally derived citric acid in them. The 6-in-1s also have naturally derived citric acid in them. Escalon just doesn't add any to its tomatoes. This is something I learned from a food broker several years ago and discussed, among other places, in Reply 1731 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg194622/topicseen.html#msg194622.

Peter, you always seem to amaze me. Pulling up old posts and always suggesting something or another.

I do like you comment about approaching a local pizzeria..."Hey, I'm competing against you in my own kitchen. What about a can of that sauce your using and while your at it I'll take a pound of that peperoni your using"  ;D All funnies aside and along the likes of what you suggested, I have asked a couple of pizzeria's close by so see what peperoni they are using, told them I wasn't able to source any close by but never got any offers to sell me any. I didn't ask, too shy I guess. I don't mind the haul down to the US. I have a shipping point of where all my US purchases go and I do the run every so often. I'll see how I can get some of the Stanislaus to try. Can I ask what you use?  tks

Carl

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »
Carl,

Like Garvey, when I saw the Classico crushed tomatoes disappearing from the shelves at my local Wal-Mart, I scooped up as many cans as I could. I am now down to a few cans. When I run out, I might drive into Dallas where there is an Italian market that often sells the large cans of several of the Stanislaus tomatoes and sometimes smaller cans. I never quite know which tomatoes they are likely to have in stock because some professionals apparently go to that market in search of the tomatoes also. I would prefer the smaller cans since it is hard for me to use #10 cans and I would rather not freeze what I don't use. I believe that some members have been going to Wal-Mart canned tomatoes once their Classico tomatoes ran out. I do not believe that the tomatoes are fresh-pack tomatoes, so they may not be the perfect replacement.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Carl,

If you look at the FAQs at the GFS website at http://www.gfs.com/en/faq, and elsewhere at the GFS website, you will see this statement: The stores are open to the public seven days a week and do not require a membership fee. You can see a map of their stores at http://www.gfs.com/en/gfsstore/locator.

You can also check out the GFS Product Guide at http://www.gfs.com/sites/gfs.com/files/Product%20Guide%202014-2015.pdf. You will find the canned tomatoes at page 3. It looks like GFS carries the Escalon tomatoes, not the Stanislaus tomatoes. But they do carry the 6-in-1s, which is perhaps a better choice for you..

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
Carl:

I meant to add this link earlier for ordering Escalon's 6-in-1 to a US address:
https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx

Good luck!
Garvey

Offline carl333

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
Carl,

Like Garvey, when I saw the Classico crushed tomatoes disappearing from the shelves at my local Wal-Mart, I scooped up as many cans as I could. I am now down to a few cans. When I run out, I might drive into Dallas where there is an Italian market that often sells the large cans of several of the Stanislaus tomatoes and sometimes smaller cans. I never quite know which tomatoes they are likely to have in stock because some professionals apparently go to that market in search of the tomatoes also. I would prefer the smaller cans since it is hard for me to use #10 cans and I would rather not freeze what I don't use. I believe that some members have been going to Wal-Mart canned tomatoes once their Classico tomatoes ran out. I do not believe that the tomatoes are fresh-pack tomatoes, so they may not be the perfect replacement.

Peter

TY Peter. You just gave me an idea. Montreal has an Italian community, we call it little Italy. I should go down and visit a few of the grocery stores and see if they carry Stanislaus or Escalon as  you suggested. tks
Carl

Offline carl333

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
Carl:

I meant to add this link earlier for ordering Escalon's 6-in-1 to a US address:
https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx

Good luck!
Garvey

Tks Garvey. I have read good things about Escalon here, as well as the 6 in 1's, Stal... I've also read about the Classico brand several months ago here and checked Walmart in Plattsburgh, NY to see if thet had any left on the shelf. Nada of course, but just checking . ;D Just doing some math. $3.33 per can plus another .50 per for the exchange rate plus shipping. Yikes, that's probably 5 bucks a can. I buy $2 cans here when they go on special for $1. Still intrigued though. Must make an awfully good sauce.
Carl

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
Love the knobs of sausage.  Great looking pie!

Yup.  Tastes much better than those red discs.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan