Author Topic: New Oven Plannning  (Read 375 times)

Offline couchpotato

New Oven Plannning
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
Hi all,

I'm planning a wood fired oven for my backyard in Mesa Arizona.  It will be used primarily for weekly bread baking (just one load per firing) and occasional pizza making.  Since there are just two of us, I don't want it to take any longer than necessary to fire and have the heat fully saturate the brick.  So, I'm thinking that I don't want or need the huge thermal mass of the typical brick ovens and am wondering if 2.5" thickness, very heavily insulated, for the dome and sides would be sufficient.  I'd really like to keep the firing time under an hour, if possible.  Another question is just how much wood is typically used to fire an Allan Scott barrel vault with it huge amount of thermal mass?  Thanks for your input.

Russ

Offline dmlouns

Re: New Oven Plannning
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Hi Couch potato,

I just finished building my 42" wood fired oven. The wall thickness is 4.5" with 4" of insulation. Go to the Forno Bravo site and you will get a lot of good information on WFO's. The secret is in the insulation not the mass. The more mass you have the longer it takes to bring it up to temperature. However with lots of good insulation a 42" oven like mine will heat up to 750 F in a little over an hour to cook pizza's and be at 350F the following morning to bake bread.

Offline couchpotato

Re: New Oven Plannning
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for my late response, I was out of town.  Can you give me an idea of how much wood you use in a typical firing.  Thanks.
Russ

pizzapan