Author Topic: Can You Freeze Fresh Basil?  (Read 3691 times)

BillsPizza

Can You Freeze Fresh Basil?
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »
If you have done so before,how did it thaw?

I bought some fresh basil and I will most likely not use all of it.I basically put a leaf or two into my sauce recipes to give it that basil kick.When I can make better Nea style pies,I will use them more as a topping.Right now its for my sauces.

Where I live its very hard to find them fresh.If a store has it,Im lucky if half of them aren't brown or looking like Fall came a season early.I know you can freeze just about anything these days but I never heard of anyone freezing basil for later use.

I might just make some sauces with it and freeze it for later use.Yet Im just curious about how the basil itself.

:)

Offline dragas

Re: Can You Freeze Fresh Basil?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:30 AM »
While I have never tried it, I don't think it would work too well. The freezer would damage the cell walls.
I would say just replant it and have fresh basil anytime you want, its very easy to grow.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
I've had success with dropping a handful of leaves in a blender, mixed with enough water to make a paste when blended. Pour the results in an ice cube tray. When the basil ice cubes harden, place the cubes in a freezer bag. Great fresh basil flavor all winter long.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:48:03 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Those are good ideas folks.I wouldnt have the time or patience right now to try and grow anything.
 :-D

Another friend of mine told me off the forum,hes freezed them before with no problems.Looks like I will try an experiment of some kind and see how it turns out in a few weeks.
 :)
-Bill

Offline landras

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
I freeze mine all the time, usually on ice trays and the store them in bags. I use it during the winter. I also make some pesto, put it in the container and cover it with olive oil, that keeps very very well.
nico

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
Use it for pesto and freeeze the pesto, that's what I do.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
So then it seems no one has any info on freezing fresh basil leaves? I've got a plethora of it coming up too.  I guess we'll have to go the pesto route and try and grow some all winter long.

Offline vwbpizza

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
I've done (whole leaves) before but it's a major pain! What I did was to mist the leaves with oil and then freeze on a sheet tray. Once frozen, stack & wrap in plastic and then foil and/or vac pack.
IMO: Not worth the effort. Sometimes I would get a beautiful leaf suitable for presentation & others... not so much.
Chopping and covering in olive oil, then freezing works great.

Offline matermark

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
You can also DRY IT in the oven or microwave or dehydrator. Then just crumble it to use, or rehydrate whole leaves by soaking in warm water.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
If you do a Google search, there are many posts regarding this. Some just blend it up, add water, freeze as an ice cube,
You also might try this site which adds oil to the blend

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/06/how-to-freeze-fresh-basil-weekend-herb.html

Next time I have basil I will probably try this method as additional pesto ingredients can be added later.

pat

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
It turns dark and limp/wilty and loses it's look as you mentioned. I would go with the dehydrator. Southern exposed indoor window boxes do ok in the winter, I'm going for that this year.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!