Author Topic: My First Cracker!!  (Read 3325 times)

Offline BBH

Re: My First Cracker!!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
I wouldn't say a problem per say, I can get down to the upper 30's - 37,38 etc...but I want to see a complete build in the mxer.  I use 90% KAAP + 10% Semolina and 40% gives me the completeness I am looking for.  The Semolina seems to absorb more water content. Also, it might just be me, but flavor wise it seems better with a few percentage points more.  40% seems to work best for me, crusts are razor thin, crisp and very strong, and with the Semolina slightly more tender + a golden color. Oil @ 3.5, IDF 1.25 as well as salt. 82 degress after 7 minute mix - 18-24 hr rise in fridge @ 36 degrees.  Loaded up or not, using stone @ 30 minute preheat @ 525 for 15-20 minutes + 3 min cool down - an entire 14" pizza can be supported in the center with 3 fingers - totally flat.  In addition, by applying sauce by the alternative method, the pizza can be flipped upside down with nothing coming off..pretty cool.

But I can't do it in a pan but would like to because I like the lip the pan provides.  Just haven't had success with than one.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
BBH,

The biggest problem that most people have when working with cracker style doughs with a hydration in the 30s is rolling out the skins.

I, too, found that putting the cheese down first was a good idea. Maybe you have already seen the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg48991.html#msg48991 but it addresses and solves the problem with rolling out low hydration doughs. It also is heavy on the use of cutter pans, although pre-baking seemed to be the best method to use with such pans, along with using very thin skins for extra crispiness. There are a lot of other helpful tips in that thread.

Peter

Offline BBH

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
I'm lucky, I don't have any of the rolling out issues as I have a Colborne roller in the garage + 30qt Hobart. (sitting next to my car..lol).  For me it the completeness of the mix after mixing.  I'll check out the cutter pans and the thread - thanks!  Maybe that will get it where it needs to be....