Author Topic: What is your favorite brand of Olive Oil?  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

What is your favorite brand of Olive Oil?
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
I got to talking to a friend about olive oil recently and she told me that olive oil from Tuscany is quite good.  I mentioned that Bill/SFNM had posted recently that Costco sells OO from Tuscany and it's quite good.  I'll have to pick up a bottle to try next time I'm there.

My wife and I had lunch at the Macaroni Grill today.  I haven't been there in ages and the last time I was there, I really wasn't into making pizza so OO was not at the forefront of my mind.

I like their bread by the way and noted that the EVOO they were serving was quite good.  It had a nice green hue to it and was quite flavorful.  The brand is GENESIO from Italy.  I picked up a liter bottle for $20 plus tax. 

The other bottle in the pictured is MASSERIE diSANTE'ERAMO I bought from a world market for around $15 for 500ml (half a liter). 

These are tasty to me but I really don't know too much about EVOO.  Just wondering what everyone's favorites are. 

Chau

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: What is your favorite brand of Olive Oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »
Colavita is excellent

Tony

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
Thanks Tony.  I have seen Colavita in the stores before but haven't tried it yet.  Do you like it more so than other brands you've tried?

My wife also picked up a bottle of Santiago limited edition EVOO from Chile.  The oil is not bad but not as good as the other 2 that I have.  

Chau

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
JT,

I like it because it's not as strong as most i've tried, very smoothe.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
I got to talking to a friend about olive oil recently and she told me that olive oil from Tuscany is quite good.  I mentioned that Bill/SFNM had posted recently that Costco sells OO from Tuscany and it's quite good.  I'll have to pick up a bottle to try next time I'm there.

Chau,

The olive oil is pressed near the end of the year, so you'll be getting the 2010 harvest if you buy now. It'll still be good, but I'm waiting for the 2011 harvest. For cooking it may not matter much. The date will be printed on the label.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »
Tony, I guess I'm an OO noob.  I like these other brands b/c of their strong flavor and fragrance.  I understand you don't want the OO to overpower the other flavors but I do like to taste it and know that it's there.  There is some Colavita at work so I will try some very soon.

Thanks for the tip Bill.  I'm getting quite a collection of EVOO so I guess I'm going to quit buying the cheap stuff for cooking and use up some of this fancy stuff laying around in time for the 2011 harvest.   ;)

Do you have any favorite brands other than the Tuscan OO? 

Chau

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Do you have any favorite brands other than the Tuscan OO? 

Olio Nuovo

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
I use to buy OO in large bottles but found out it goes bad rather quickly.......so I have to buy the small bottles.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »
California Olive Ranch - Arbequina. This stuff is awesome. It has a really nice fruit flavor. This is my favorite for a neapolitan pizza. If I ever opened a place this would be my choice, that's how good it is.
California Olive Ranch - Everyday. This is a good everyday EVOO, as it's the name.
Frantoia Barbera EVOO - This stuff is great as well.

Offline petef

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:50:24 AM »
Not that I've tried lots of different brands, but I'm happy with Bertolli.
I use Bertolli Classico for my pizza, and Bertolli Rich Taste EVOO for most of my other cooking, salads, etc.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:37 AM »
Bill that Olio Nuovo looks and sounds wonderful!  You always seem to know and get the best stuff.

I use to buy OO in large bottles but found out it goes bad rather quickly.......so I have to buy the small bottles.

I wonder if keeping OO in the fridge can extend its life?

Chau

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »

I wonder if keeping OO in the fridge can extend its life?

Chau

Chau,

Exposure to strong light and air (O2) are said to be enemies of olive oil.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
Olive oil, like wine, beer, coffee and cigars and many such other items, is subject to personal preference. In my case, I happen to like the same brands of oils that David (BSO) mentioned. In the case of California Olive Ranch (COR), it is fast becoming a major factor in the U.S olive oil business. At one time their oils were hard to find at the retail level, but COR's business has grown to the point where their basic olive oil can now be found in many Wal-Marts. COR also has a good website, at http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/, where one can learn quite a bit about olive oils (I have signed up to receive emails from them). For example, dating information, which Bill/SFNM mentioned, is important because olive oil deteriorates with age. Unfortuately, many bottlers of olive oils are not anxious to let purchasers know the age of the oils they are selling, for obvious reasons. There is also a lot of fraudulent misrepresentations about olive oils exported to the U.S.

Knowing the source of the olives used to make the oil is also important. Many imported olive oils simply state on the labels that they are a "product of Italy". However, that doesn't mean that the olive oils are pressed from Italian olives. The olives can come from places like Spain, Greece, Turkey, Tunisia, Syria, Morocco, Portugal, France and Algeria. That doesn't mean that the oils are inferior or of poor quality, although that can sometimes be the case, but knowing the provenance of the olives is something that I think all purchasers should know. In my experience, the blended oils tend to carry a lower purchase price. Often a low price in itself is pretty good evidence that the oil is a blend. The very best olive oils usually carry the highest selling prices.

Also, ideally you want to look for dark colored bottles (for the reason that Bill mentioned) and store the olive oil in a dark cool place. Another mistake that many people make is to save their best olive oils for special occasions. Since olive oils decline in quality with age, it is best to use them sooner rather than later. I typically keep two classes of olive oil on hand, an inexpensive brand and a very good brand. I use the inexpensive brand for cooking and the more expensive brand either for finishing purposes or for non-cooking applications. Mario Batali uses olive oil for everything, including in cooking. However, I have read that cooking with olive oil alters its chemistry to the point where test tasters can't tell the difference between dishes prepared with olive oil and regular vegetable oils. As a result, I sometimes will cook with an oil like rice bran oil (I use the Tophé brand) and finish with one of the olive oils just before serving/eating, for flavor retention.

Peter

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
i tried the olio nuovo on Bill's advice and it's now my favorite.  also the normal Frantoio de Sommaia is really nice.  both of the ones i have are '10.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
Filippo Berio. We buy the large cans because we use it for many different things.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I like the frantonio also However after a few trips to the Fairway Market ??? your head will spind trying them all I use Bertani for cooing and colavita for pizza and?
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
For pizza, I mix Columela Hajiblanca EVOO and Colavita Frutatto EVOO in about a 50:50 ratio. The Columela is very buttery and the Colavita has a very olive-fruity flavor. I really like the combined buttery-olivey flavor. Both are widely available.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
That's interesting that you mentioned buttery.  I dipped my turkey sandwich in some of that cold Genesio EVOO for lunch today and that's exactly what I thought.  Buttery...Olive goodness. 

Chau

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
I use Frantoia or Paesano from Sicily for my pies, but for the best tasting Olive oil for finishing,dipping, etc...here's my vote
perry

Badia a Coltibouno

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »
Here in Arizona we have a olive mill that's about 30 or 40 miles from Phoenix. I just bought a bottle of EVOO that was pressed in early August and it's excellent!

Check it out
http://queencreekolivemill.com/