Author Topic: New Forum Member - "Shoe"  (Read 442 times)

Offline derschuh

New Forum Member - "Shoe"
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
I'm an old-timer (pushing 60) and live in the heart of Illinois. While I have always been intrigued by cooking, I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination. (But then, I'm not dead yet!) Over the years I have seen a number of favorite pizza eateries come and go locally. The passing of some were greatly lamented, as that "taste" or experience would be lost forever. I have often thought it would be great to be independent enough to hire on at every place that has a specialty dish that one especially favors, and stay there long enough to learn how to make (and master) that specialty and then move on to the next. It wouldn't be for the purpose of going into the food service business, but for a bit of insurance that your "favorites" would forever be available to you and would not just be fond memories. I have lately been reading many of the discussions on PizzaMaking.com with a great of interest. I find the "reverse engineering" aspect quite fascinating! As previously stated, I'm no chef, but I'm a pretty fair "detective" and a doggedly determined researcher. It would be nice to recreate some favored recipes, and, who knows, maybe even "improve" on some of them. At present, some of my preferred "name" pizzas or "chain pizzas" are Pizano's of Chicago and Aurelio's, and an occasional Papa Murphy's. Some of the now-extinct local pizzas which i remember wistfully were those from the Penguin Tap in Peoria Heights, The Flamingo Club on S. Adams St. in Peoria and the Pizza Palace on Starr Street in Peoria. *sigh*

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: New Forum Member - "Shoe"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
Welcome shoe

I hope you someday use your sleuthing and interest in reverse engineering to recreate the sourdough bread and pizza crust of Avanti's formally known as Lardano's
on Main Street in Peoria.

Bob

pizzapan