Author Topic: Thin n' crispy quest  (Read 3284 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Thin n' crispy quest
« on: December 03, 2003, 08:18:15 AM »
LONG POST!

I made three pizzas last night, all using thin-crust techniques.  My goal is to emulate Pizza Hut's thin n' crispy pizza.  These three were good, but none of the crusts had that flaky cracker-like texture that PH has.  

All were cooked on a pizza hut aluminum pan and then cooled on a wire mesh pan.  

Tested were three different dough mixes:

Batch #1:

1.   1 tsp yeast
2.   7/8 cup water
3.   1 tsp sugar

Mixed the above ingredients, then added:

4.   3 ½+ cups King Arthur Hi-Gluten (14%) flour
5.   1 tsp salt
6.   4 tsp King Arthur “Pizza dough flavor” (a flavor additive consisting of  yeast extract, cheddar cheese powder, garlic powder, and some other chemicals)

Mixed the above, then added:

7.   1 tbs. Crisco

Mixed for 10+ minutes, adding small qty of flour until consistency was right.

(notice the hole in pizza!)

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza1a.jpg)

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza1b.jpg)

Batch #2:

1.   1 tsp yeast
2.   7/8 cup water
3.   1 tsp sugar

4.   3 ½ + cups King Arthur “Perfect Pizza Blend Flour”
5.   1 tsp salt
6.   1 tsp King Arthur “Pizza dough flavor”

7.   1 tbs. Crisco

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza2a.jpg)

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza2b.jpg)

Batch #3:

1.   1 tsp yeast
2.   7/8 cup water
3.   1 tsp sugar

4.   1 pkg of King Arthur “Pizza Crust” mix
5.   1 tsp salt
6.   1 tsp King Arthur “Pizza dough flavor”

7.   1 tbs. Crisco

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza3a.jpg)

(http://www.kash-karry.com/Pizza3b.jpg)

Each batch was placed in individual Ziploc storage bags and place in my garage (temp. about 45F) for 17 hours,  then dough was punched down and set out at room temperature for another 3 hours, then each one was rolled out, docked and brushed with olive oil and pre-baked for 4:30-5 minutes at 550F.  Then each pizza was assembled and cooked for another 5-6 minutes.

Observations:

·   The #3 batch, “Pizza Crust” rose the highest in the bag;  followed by  #1 batch, “Hi-gluten flour” and then the #2 batch, “Perfect Pizza blend flour”.

·   Pizza #1 was the hardest to roll out and stretch, although it wasn’t really that bad at all.  It had the high gluten flour in it, so it tended to want to retract itself.

·   Pizza #2 tore very easily when putting it on the pan after rolling it out.

·   If adding toppings (which I did on all 3 pizzas), pre-bake only for 4 minutes max, as the edge of the crust started to get overdone, despite the cheese and toppings not being quite done.  An alternative, which I’ll try next time, is to surround the edge of the crust with aluminum foil, to slow the browning down.

Taste and Texture:

This experiment wasn’t so much for taste, as it was for texture.  I wanted to see which mix came the closest to Pizza Hut’s thin n’ crispy.  They were all very similar to each other, with Pizza #3 edging out the other two for overall crispiness.  Pizza #3 is the pre-mixed King Arthur “Pizza Crust” mix #3215.   Pizza #1, the high-gluten flour batch, had the breadiest taste of the three.  

None of them shared the flaky-characteristic that Pizza Hut’s thin has.  It must be something in the mix?  There must be a fundamental difference in ingredients (flour type, oil, etc) with theirs.

While the three had similar crunchiness, the texture of the edge of the crust represents one of toasted bread and not of a flaky cracker.   All in all, they were very good.  Pizza #1 would be the most economical to make, with #3 being the most expensive.

Pizza #1 used 4 tsp of the pizza flavoring, while the other two only used 1 tsp.  Since each one had different toppings, it was hard to tell any discernable difference in taste.  

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:55:18 AM by pizzaluvr »
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Thin n' crispy quest
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:48:30 PM »
The recipe that Steve adapted from my Pizza Inn recipe is still the best one I have made and the most like the ones I made for over 3 years.

One thing I would change on your test is putting in a cold place to rise.  All the pizza places I ever worked at (and I work at 3) and all the places my friends have worked at (that covers another 2) rised their dough at room tempatures.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 02:40:56 AM »
DKM,

Are you saying, then, that the dough should be risen at room temperature, then put in the fridge overnight once it has risen?  Because I've tried rising the dough for an hour and a half at room temperature and then using it immediately, and the taste is nowhere near as good as when I put the dough in the fridge and let it rise overnight.

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 06:54:01 AM »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 12:18:22 PM »
No, I'm saying just leave it at room tempature for several hours, no less then nine and up to 24.  When I did the one Steve did (see Randy's post) I left it at room temp for 24 hours divided it in half made my fist pizza and then put the rest in the fridge and made it two days later.  Both were great.

DKM

Hey Randy glad to see you back.

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 12:37:06 PM »
Good to have the time to post again DKM.  I had a job that took control of my life for awhile forcing me buy pizza out :(.  Things are slowly getting back to normal.  Made probably my best version of a New York style last night which featured a balance between raw sugar and honey.  It was delicious.  If I can repeat the results I will post the recipe.

Randy

pizzapan