Author Topic: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)  (Read 11264 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
First of all, thank you very much for your comments BTB, I really appreciate the help.  I have to say that I have bad lighting on that particular counter, and combined with the flash the pie looks really orange and shiny in the pics - didn't look so bad in person though.

Just some quick thoughts . . . 16 hours counter rise, while I've never done it so long, many have.  And I think that's fine.  But then somewhere up to 72 hrs thereafter in the refrigerator (maybe that's 72 minus 16) seems a bit too long.  Maybe a lot too long and I don't know if the yeast effect will last that long? ? ?  

Yea I had no idea on what to do for the proofing.  I had tried asking in this thread earlier, but couldn't seem to get a response from anyone and so  I just winged it.  The overnight counter rise was used because Vito and Nick's clone had a similar proportion of yeast and used an overnight rise; I then let it sit in the fridge for a few days as I had another dough already made that I had to use first, and I've left other doughs in the fridge for days without any ill effects.  I'm not sure if the long frigde times applied to those dough formulations only, or if they are general to all pizza.  I also recall reading somewhere on the forums that dough *should* be able to be left up to a month in the fridge without going bad - but again I can't remember if that was specific to certain formulation or not.

I would really appreciate input on this.  Is it possible to over-proof dough?  I asked this earlier in the thread, I guess no one here knows.   :(

Regarding the sauce, I wouldn't ever consider any sauce that contained ketchup.  I have a big, big hang up there, I realize, and that may just be me.  

I would have thought this initially, too, until I tried a Best Value frozen cheeseburger pizza (available at Giant Tiger stores in Canada).  When I ate that, I noticed right away that the sauce tasted like KETCHUP, and it was EFFING AMAZING.  I'm not kidding.  Think about it, all of the flavors on a pizza substitute for flavors on a cheeseburger, except for the pizza sauce (unless, of course, it tastes like ketchup).  I thought this frozen pizza was just made by some genius or something, but then I googled "cheeseburger pizza," and actually found recipes for cheeseburger pizza that called for adding ketchup.  I think the recipe actually goes back to The Apprentice when they were working with Domino's Pizza, or something like that.

But then I look at the other sauce ingredients that you indicated and everything is fine until I come to . . . . pickles! ! !  Who -- I think to myself -- in the world would want to put pickles on a pizza?  And the poster asks "what do you guys have to advise on how to deal with the pickles?" . . . like as if that were a "natural question!"  Like . . . "what do you do with your pickles on the pizza?  cooked or uncooked?"  I wouldn't even ever, ever consider pickles on a pizza so I wonder who that question is directed towards.  (I know, I'm probably goofy and this).  

So I asked a few people and their reaction was the same as mine . . . pickles on a pizza . . . yuck! ! !  Oh, well, I thought.  I always say, differences are what makes the world go around, right?  Query:  What percentage of the North American pizza consuming world would desire "pickles" on their pizza?  75%? 40%? 15%? 2%? I haven't found a person yet, but I'm sure there's some out there.

Just joking around with you CDN.  Enjoy what you want to enjoy.  (But pickles? ? ?)

pickles are actually a quite common ingredient on cheeseburger pizzas, at least in Minnesota and Wisconsin where "Chicago"-style thin crust is the norm (actually, IMO this style is more appropriately called "Midwestern-style thin crust, since it is seen all over the midwest and even in Winnipeg, Canada).  It's quite good, you should give it a try!   ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:03:23 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »
Well, I'm guessing that pickles and ketchup wouldn't go on a normal pizza, but that was a cheese burger pizza so sounds like burger toppings to me?

exactly, it was a cheeseburger pizza.  Google it, it's quite good!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
How was the crust and what would you do differently with the crust or dough next time?  Those are the kind of lessons our members would like to hear about.

OH - and yea, the crust was good, but it seemed a bit crumbly in texture to me - kind of like Home Run Inn, which isn't my favorite chicago-style thin.  I think it might have to do with the high oil content, but i'm not sure as I don't really have much baking or pizza-making experience.  The crust also seemed quite dry - i'm not sure if this was due to a low water content to begin with (the dough was tough to put together), or if my long proof time, oven temp, or cooking time contributed to this.  It was better in the center of the pie though, so I might try reducing the cook time a bit.

The garlic and herbs in the dough were impressive though, and filled my house with the most extraordinary  :chef: pizza smell that i think we've ever had, which was awesome!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:15:43 PM by CDNpielover »

buceriasdon

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
I have mostly gotten over my Mexican friends asking for ketchup when I have them over for pizza although I do look the other way when they apply it to my pizza. I then pretend they have put umami sauce on my pizza and I'm ok looking at it......
Don

Offline BTB

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »
pickles are actually a quite common ingredient on cheeseburger pizzas
Sorry, not again in this lifetime.  I commonly have to order hamburgers for myself and others and say, "NO PICKLES please."   I don't like and know many who don't like pickles on their hamburgers, so one shouldn't  put them on my pizzas.  Only joking. . . somewhat.  But I really dislike pickles and don't think it's fair for some to say its not right to say so.  Pickles have their place, of course.  But I think the vast, vast majority of people would say . . . NO PICKLES on their pizza.  What do others here say? ? ?

But CDN . . . WONDERFUL looking pizza . . . except for the pickles (lol).  Keep up the great work.

--BTB

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
What do others here say? ? ?

This is an intriguing question, but unfortunatley I don't think we'll get many answers.  This page has been viewed by 1.5 thousand people, yet only a few of them have given any input into this thread.   ::)  LAME.  I can understand why Pete-zza seems so fed up with the forums.

buceriasdon

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
I feel I've given pickles a fair chance on cheeseburger pizza, they are just not to my taste. I find pepper slices more to my liking.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
This is an intriguing question, but unfortunatley I don't think we'll get many answers.  This page has been viewed by 1.5 thousand people, yet only a few of them have given any input into this thread.   ::)  LAME.  I can understand why Pete-zza seems so fed up with the forums.

CDNpielover,

Thanksgiving Day is one of the slowest days of the year on the forum, so one would not expect much in the way of responses. But, apart from that, there is only a relatively small percent of the members who are active posters on the forum, who are the ones who create the bulk of the content on the forum. Several years ago, I went through the membership list and my recollection is that about 80-85 percent of the members posted one or less times on the forum. The membership numbers are now too large to go through but I would guess that the percents have not changed much. New members are now required to post as part of their registration but the bulk of them will fall into the inactive ranks, as they always have in the past. Most of the members on the forum are spectators, and the numbers suggest that they are mostly interested in recipes, and especially chain pizza clone recipes (and maybe even the one you have been working on), or solutions to particular problems. Reverse engineering and cloning threads, such as this one, are the worst of all for member participation because it is a unique activity that few people have the knowledge and skills or willingness to devote the amount of time, research and experimentation/testing that are needed to do that kind of work. So, I wouldn't expect much in the way of responses.

On the specific matter of pickles, this morning I did a "pickles" keyword search on the PMQ Think Tank because I recalled that subject coming up from time to time on that forum, even in the context of a cheeseburger type of pizza. You can see the results of the search at http://thinktank.pmq.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=pickles&start=15.

Peter

Offline BTB

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »
From the Slice blog about pickles on a cheeseburger pizza:

"The pickles just absolutely killed this thing. I remember when dhorst tried pickles on a pizza to not so great effect. Diana, why did I not heed your warning?!? It's not like pickles don't go with all these other elements, as they do on a cheeseburger, but on a pizza, there's just this cognitive dissonance there, ruining the whole experience. I'd either remove the pickles entirely or switch them out for jalapeņos."

The Ultimate Cheeseburger Pizza and How NOT to Make It  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/the-ultimate-cheeseburger-pizza.html

But as always, it's what one likes that is all important.

--BTB

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
On the specific matter of pickles, this morning I did a "pickles" keyword search on the PMQ Think Tank because I recalled that subject coming up from time to time on that forum, even in the context of a cheeseburger type of pizza. You can see the results of the search at http://thinktank.pmq.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=pickles&start=15.

Peter

Thanks Pete!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
I for one am with you on the pickles on a pizza!! Similar to sauerkraut on pizza, quite good. If you get to St Paul again try out Savoy's Pizza on 7th and Lafayette.....BEST pie in the cities as far as I'm concerened and it is THE flavor profile I strive for on my home pies. Robust, sturdy, thin crust that rocks. There house special is sausage and sauerkraut, top notch stuff right there I'll tell ya.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
I for one am with you on the pickles on a pizza!! Similar to sauerkraut on pizza, quite good. If you get to St Paul again try out Savoy's Pizza on 7th and Lafayette.....BEST pie in the cities as far as I'm concerened and it is THE flavor profile I strive for on my home pies. Robust, sturdy, thin crust that rocks. There house special is sausage and sauerkraut, top notch stuff right there I'll tell ya.
Jon

Hi Jon,  thanks for the reply, and for the support re: pickles!  I have had pizza form Red's Savoy Inn, and it's superb!  I have to admit that I'm more of a Carbone's guy myself, but to each his own I guess!  Broadway is another big one in the cities, have you had that?  again, i like Carbone's better though!

Sauerkraut on pizza - never had that!  What other toppings are usually used with that?

buceriasdon

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Now I am a huge fan of kimchi pizza, korean sauerkraut with an attitude. >:D   Reply 10 :  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12908.0.html
Not for everyone.......
Don

Sauerkraut on pizza - never had that!  What other toppings are usually used with that?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
Hi Jon,  thanks for the reply, and for the support re: pickles!  I have had pizza form Red's Savoy Inn, and it's superb!  I have to admit that I'm more of a Carbone's guy myself, but to each his own I guess!  Broadway is another big one in the cities, have you had that?  again, i like Carbone's better though!

Some Carbone's are better than others, I think a couple are privately owned and not part of the 'chain'. Broadway yes, good pie. The wife and I still favor Savoy's and our 2nd favoreite is about 5mi up hwy 52 in Inver Grove Heights, Old World Pizza, very, very good. Quite similar in style to Savoy's but nit quite as zesty and spicy as Savoy's. If you haven't, you should try them out!!

And Don, BIG yes to the kimchi, LOVE the stuff. Haven't done it on a pizza yet but will soon ;-)
Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
Dear Jackitup,

Yes you are right, there are actually 2 different companies operating under the name Carbone's in Minnesota/Wisconsin.  One company has a single location (the original Carbone's) on Randolph Ave. in Saint Paul, and the other company started offering franchises and is the one that most people are familiar with.  The chain of franchises actually grew out of the original location - one of those italian fued things - and although there are minor differences, the pies are very similar.  I've had pies from the original location many times, since I went to college in that neighborhood.  Also, a very close family friend owns a couple of the franchise's, and I've been eating pies from the various franchises since the early 1980s.   :chef:  maybe i am biased haha!  

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
Before I was familiar with this site I had absolutely no clue that the ridiculously common Red's Savoy/Dino's/Carbone's/Italian Pie Shoppe/(a million others)-style thin-crust was what you all called "Chicago-thin"... That being said, perhaps "Midwestern-style" is a more apt name. Yet again, from what I'm familiar, asking for a cheeseburger pizza without pickles would be akin to asking for a meat-lover's pizza without pepperoni... So maybe it's a regional thing...

If I didn't already have this type of pizza frequently, I'd try it myself... But since I.Pie Shoppe is in my regular rotation, I'm well-satisfied with "Midwestern-style." ;)

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Before I was familiar with this site I had absolutely no clue that the ridiculously common Red's Savoy/Dino's/Carbone's/Italian Pie Shoppe/(a million others)-style thin-crust was what you all called "Chicago-thin"... That being said, perhaps "Midwestern-style" is a more apt name. Yet again, from what I'm familiar, asking for a cheeseburger pizza without pickles would be akin to asking for a meat-lover's pizza without pepperoni... So maybe it's a regional thing...

If I didn't already have this type of pizza frequently, I'd try it myself... But since I.Pie Shoppe is in my regular rotation, I'm well-satisfied with "Midwestern-style." ;)

-Clive

If you decide to try Savoy's, as you said there are several now, go to the one on 7th street and Lafayette, it's the best of there small chain. As far as Chicago, midwest, etc.....IT"S GOOD. I eat a pizza and like it or not by the whole experience. I'll pick and disect a little too myself, but you can have a great crust and bad flavor for sauce and topping  and vice versa, great toppings and ambiguous crust, if you find both....GREAT. I think you'll like the 7th street Savoys, they gotta have something going when every suppertime crowd waits in a line. Crust is a sturdy mediocre crust that is hardy enough to carry the generous, bold toppings they use, overall, one of my top picks.
Jon

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »

It has to be a Minnneeesooootian thing. Sauerkraut on pizzas! Ha, disgusting to think, but it works.... I think the further north you go, the more kraut you get.

Next time for your sauce try;

1 cup ketchup

1 cup prepared yellow mustard.

And thats it. Pickles for sure, and don't forget the bacon, and shaved iceburg lettuce (after it is out of the oven).

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
It has to be a Minnneeesooootian thing. Sauerkraut on pizzas! Ha, disgusting to think, but it works.... I think the further north you go, the more kraut you get.

Hey now, as a born-and-raised Mineesohtan, I will. not. touch. sauerkraut. Go talk to Wiscahnsin 'bout that crap.

...Then again, I won't touch lutefisk either... $20 to the first person here to make a lutefisk pizza... I bet you could make a decent buck off selling the formula to Sven & Ole's (yet another "midwestern-style" pizzaria here in MN).

@Jackitup: I have enjoyed Red's Savoy in the past. Incredible sauce they have, as well as sausage, but like you say, their crust is purely functional. If I'm ever in St. Paul, I'll have to try out the location you mentioned... But as for now, delivered to my comfortable home on a cold Minnesohtan winter night from my local Eagan branch... it can't be beat.  :)

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
There sauce is awesome, sausage too.....but the sauce...........They used to have a deal where if you bought 10 pies they would 1/2 bake them, wrap in plastic and sell them to you frozen for 1/2 price. had to go thru Red though. Haven't seen him around for awhile. May have to call and see if I can get a couple gallons of their sauce to go now that I think of it, worth a call anyway. Now if anyone could come up with THAT recipe you'ld have something there!!!
Jon

pizzapan