Author Topic: pepe's cheese  (Read 1985 times)

Offline tomm294

pepe's cheese
« on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
does anyone know where pepe's gets there cheese. i've tried just about everything out there and nothing else tastes like it

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: pepe's cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
I believe the taste has more to do with the oven than the company.  Im told their cheese changes, always a good cheese, but it changes........again, according to more than one employee.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
I realize this is an old post, but Calabro (in East Haven, CT) claims that Pepe's uses only their cheese. I just picked some up at the Big Y to try.
http://www.calabrocheese.com
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
Barry,

Maybe things have changed at Pepe's, but some time ago I looked into this claim and found it not to be true. For example, see Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7734.msg66635/topicseen.html#msg66635.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:08:52 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
Peter: Can you re-check that link? I ended up in the middle of a thread on grinding your own beef.

I also checked the Calabro web site, which is where I saw that claim.

"Our Mozzarella is soft and elastic in texture and creamy white in color. It bakes consistently to perfect stringiness and has become a standard not only on the dairy shelves, but in the institutional markets as well. Frank J. Pepe's Pizza of New Haven, where the pizza originated, uses exclusively or Mozzarella."

Maybe their web site is out of date or... *gasp* a false claim (or maybe what I took to be a typo "or" vs. "our" is actually a cleverly worded use of words meant to obfuscate (don't you love big words).

In any case, I now have a pound of their mozzarella sitting in the refrigerator. We'll try it next week some time.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:52:16 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
Barry,

I corrected the link in my earlier post. Sorry about that.

Peter

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »
Thanks, Peter. I read that post and the one that you linked to from there. I guess they still haven't updated their web site yet. After all, it's only been a little less than 6 years since you called them... you don't want to rush things.  ::)

I think I'll give them a call this week (they're a couple of towns over from me, and I like to support local businesses, as long as their product is good).

Barry

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
I just called Calabro, and the customer service person that I spoke to said that the web site is "an old one" and that she doesn't know if Pepe's uses their cheese (I'll take that to be "no").

Oh well.

Barry