Author Topic: To Cut the Pizza or Not to Cut  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Settebello

• Settebello
To Cut the Pizza or Not to Cut
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:58:05 PM »
I am having a big problem trying to decide whether to cut my pizza's in my pizzeria or serve them as God intended.  For me it is a no brainer, but I am getting some negative feed back from friends.  I need some pizza purists to reinforce my decision and keep me on the straight and narrow.
What do you think?  Will people freak out to much serving the pizza Italian style with a knife and fork?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: To Cut the Pizza or Not to Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:36:51 PM »
Settebello,

I'm fairly certain that Una Pizza Napoletana in NYC serves its pizzas uncut, and a new restaurant that recently opened up in the Seattle area, by the name of Via Tribunali, does the same thing. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/207736_rest14.html.

My own view is that the decision should be based on the type of customers you expect to frequent your place. And what kind of people your location will attract. If you are in the middle of the Strip and your customers are tourists who aren't used to being served whole pizzas, then you might cut them. If you are in an upscale suburban location and your potential customers are people who are familiar with classic Neapolitan style pizzas and you promote your pizzas as such, then they may well be served whole. Maybe you could ask patrons which they prefer, and do this until you see a pattern emerge one way or the other. Or you can forewarn patrons in your menu with good marketing copy that you serve authentic Neapolitan pizzas like they are served in Naples--whole. Many people like this sort of thing because it is out of the ordinary, but in a nice way. It brings a little bit of Naples into their lives.

I think I would also call others that already serve their pizza whole, like Anthony Mangieri at Una Pizza or the owners of the Seattle restaurant. You're no competitive threat to them, so I'm guessing that they will be happy to talk to you about their experiences on this particular point.

Best of luck to you. When do you plan to open? And where will the restaurant be?

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: To Cut the Pizza or Not to Cut
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:06:49 PM »
I think you answered yor own question.If what you want to do is Authentic (ref.your remark about Bianco) you should be tunnel visioned and stick to your ideals.If an adult needs his food cut up for him,he shoud be in a nursing home! As the owner of Il pizzaioli is reported to have said"Not everyone is going to get it?"If you want to sell Pizza to the majority I think you would be better off buying a Dominoes franchise in Las Vegas.People will want to come to you because you are different,some will not come back,some will be educated by you and some will be bewildered.I truly hope you are successful by NOT compromising your ideals and standards.I also hope that you can convince San Pellegrino to distribute thier Aranciata Amara here in the US?(Available in UK,Australia,New Zealand,Indonesia but not apparently in the USA?)If you listen to all of your friends,you'll end up with a diluted vision of what you envision.If you fail,at least fail with the commitment that you followed your dream and vision.You didn't go to Italy to ask them if you should cut up your individual pizza for your customers did you?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

pizzapan