Author Topic: Abject Alchemist  (Read 26 times)

Offline susu1969

• I Love Pizza!
Abject Alchemist
« on: Yesterday at 05:31:45 PM »
Hello All,

I am a mother of two who is tired. I grew up in MA and I know good pizza so I started making my own because the delivery was crap.  DC area finally has good pizza, but no good delivery- not even close so I started making my own on my Big Green Egg. I can get my baby up to 800 degrees and make 5 minute pizzas. Alas, I have hit a wall. I got the dough DOWN, I found the right cheese combo, but I don't have the sauce. I usually purchase sauce from my favorite place and rotate it into my dinner plans, but EFF that--I want my own sauce!  The problem is, I really suck at making my own sauce. I want to become a better person. I am ready to walk that path now.

In this country, first you get the crust, then you get the sauce, then you get the power. Yes, I just butchered a line from Scarface.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:06:12 PM by susu1969 »

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
Re: Abject Alchemist
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:47:39 AM »
Hello All,

I am a mother of two who is tired. I grew up in MA and I know good pizza so I started making my own because the delivery was crap.  DC area finally has good pizza, but no good delivery- not even close so I started making my own on my Big Green Egg. I can get my baby up to 800 degrees and make 5 minute pizzas. Alas, I have hit a wall. I got the dough DOWN, I found the right cheese combo, but I don't have the sauce. I usually purchase sauce from my favorite place and rotate it into my dinner plans, but EFF that--I want my own sauce!  The problem is, I really suck at making my own sauce. I want to become a better person. I am ready to walk that path now.

In this country, first you get the crust, then you get the sauce, then you get the power. Yes, I just butchered a line from Scarface.

Many of the best pizza joints have the simplest sauces, or even let the tomatoes stand alone. A basic sauce recipe you can use (this is off the top of my head... so double check) to get you going is from Peter Reinharts book "American Pie - My Search for the Perfect Pizza"

1 28oz can of good quality tomatos (THE biggest favor you can do a sauce recipe)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (you can also gain acidity with other types of vinegar or lemon juice)
5 cloves of fresh garlic (minced or pressed) OR 1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

As a general rule of thumb (for many people, not all).... good pizza sauce isn't generally cooked or simmered. Heating the sauce can dull the flavors and pizza sauce already gets cooked once when it goes into the oven...

Starting with that recipe though, you can get a feel of where you would like to go with it. My advice is to throw the tomatos into a bowl (whole or crushed is usually best), and taste it before you do ANYTHING else. Alot of companys add citric acid or salt for preservation, or basil for flavor, or a combination thereof before they can it.... so even adding salt before you taste what you have isn't generally a good idea.

Hope that helps!
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:17:00 PM »
Sus;
I'm a huge fan of using nothing but fully ripened tomatoes sliced about 3/16th inch thick and placed over the pizza skin. I like to brush the skin first with a little olive oil, then add some fresh basil and sliced or diced garlic all covered with the tomato slices, then dress the pizza in your normal manner. Everyone comments on the great flavor of the tomato. During the months when you can't get your own or supermarket / farmer's market raised tomatoes I will use drained whole plum tomatoes that I tear apart and use in place of the fresh tomato.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:09:32 PM »
Assuming you're talking North End type pizza, you want simple & uncooked canned tomatoes with little or no additions. The key is good quality tomatoes, maybe a pinch of oregano and salt. Once you start heavily seasoning & pre-cooking sauce, you enter big chain pizza territory in my opinion.

Josh

pizzapan