Author Topic: Boston  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Boston
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »
Hey, I'm in Boston, on foot. I should be in the downtown/Fenway/BU area until tomorrow evening. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a pizzeria I MUST try?

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
Ryan,  nothing that I know of right there,  do yourself a favor and make it inot the north end,  not far from downtown and go to pizzeria regina.  Its worth your effort and bring cash.  If easier on tremont st is picco.  Great pizza.  If you like beer,  do not miss the sunset,  in the BU area brighton ave.  good luck -marc

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
I got a couple slices at Crazy Doughs today, near Fenway. Not bad.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I'm currently working on a slice from Sal's, just south of Fenway. So far I'm very impressed with the pizza in Boston, as well as the people. I've been in town a little longer than I expected to be because I decided to wait out the storm. (Sometimes it's good to be in a big city when you live outside.)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
I'm in South Station right now, and I see that there is a Pizzeria Regina here, but I just ate about an hour ago. Guess I'll have to sneak a peek while I'm here, then hope there's another one in North Station, where I might be hungry again in a few hours.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
The chain Regina's aren't that great. You have to go to the one in the North End for a good slice. If your still here stop by Pinocchios in Harvard Square. It's kind of hard to find if your not from around here but ask someone and they will tell you how to get there. They have really good sicilian slices. Try Stella's right outside of Boston in Watertown, it's on Mt.Auburn st. I didn't know you would be here that long or I would have made some suggestions earlier.

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »
Brickstone, I like your suggestions.  Stella's is really great!  I tend to put down about four slices when I get over there.  I was surprised you didn't mention Armando's.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »
I was surprised you didn't mention Armando's.
I've never been there before, though I always hear good things. I used to work at Stella's, that's why I always mention it when people ask. They probably have the best NY slice around MA.

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
Wow, cool that you worked there.  There's a good guy working there now, Chris I think?  He's always happy to talk pizza.  Interesting how they roll the dough there.  Any inside info on why they add that step?  I guess just to get it superthin?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:36 AM »
It's the best job I've had, a lot of funny days. I think half of Watertown has worked there at one time or another. They do it so they can open it really thin and they've been doing it like that since they opened in the 60's. The owner said there is not point in changing anything if that's what the customers like. Plus when it gets really busy on a Friday/Saturday, Pat and Raffi can open up to 3 at one time. I don't know if you've been there on a Friday but we'd have like 30 boxes stacked constantly for hours.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
One of you guys care to describe their unique dough-rolling technique?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
Just a rolling pin. It's nothing really special honestly expect to get it really thin for the 20" slice pies but they use it for everything. I know you are going to say rolling pin!!! But you have to try it first, can't really judge it until then.

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
Pat is the guy! 

@Aimless Ryan -- it's unconventional, but it is a pretty cool set up.  The table is right in the window, with mountains of flour, and the pizza men do in fact stretch, and the roll out the doughs.  It results in a great pie, if a little flat around the rim.

Thanks for the info BrickStoneOven.  Good memories, I'm sure.

pizzapan