Author Topic: Slowing down a Santos Mixer  (Read 16045 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: Slowing down a Santos Mixer
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
I wish you had told me, or I wouldn't have sold my santos!
Pshaw, you were too head over heels in love with your Bosch to have eyes for any other.   ;)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
aah, well it looks like you changed your plans after we talked.    Sounds like you must have bypassed the capacitor for everything but the startup allowing the use of the vfd?     I wish you had told me that works, or I wouldn't have sold my santos!  This whole time I thought the curtain was there covering up the new motor and vfd.   oh well, im glad you got it going, it must be amazing having that thing going at the right speed!      

So a possible fix is to defeat the centrifical switch that disconnects the start capacitor (after start) and run on a VFD? Makes sense to me.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
I propose five suggestions.

The inverter doesn't control directly the motor RPM, but produces a current with an adjustable frenquency; but on an induction motor the frenquency affects the RPM, which is the same goal indeed. All inverters are able to yield from 0Hz to 60Hz (and many more but it doesn't recommended to overspeed a motor which isn't designed for) : then you may be able to adjust the motor at the speed you want, from 0 up to 1600 RPM with an accuracy of a couple of RPMs.

I can only guess it was a variable frequency drive. . . .

Omid , Mr Fouquet said that it will take a few months for him to rethink and find a solution for a slower speed so hold on!

Under the U.S. legal system people will go off and hurt themselves then blame and sue someone else who was just trying to help

Sounds like you must have bypassed the capacitor for everything but the startup allowing the use of the vfd?

So a possible fix is to defeat the centrifical switch that disconnects the start capacitor (after start) and run on a VFD? Makes sense to me.

Dear friends, I sincerely thank you all for your ongoing contributions toward solving the fork-speed problem. I personally respect Mr. Scpizza's legitimate liability concerns. And, as is implicit in his statement, there are imminent risks or dangers involved in electronic manipulation of the mixer, and that no one should irresponsibly and without competent consultation make such attempts.

It appears that a "variable frequency drive" (VFD) may hold a key to the speed issue. I will give it my full considerations and will consult an expert in this regard. The following link offers some video-tutorials (and WARNINGS) in regard to selecting and using a VFD:

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/press/video_tutorials_ac_drives.html

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Drives

I wish you all a great weekend!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:40:47 PM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »
That's a physically unmodified, stock Santos running on the factory motor.

Thus far, having been in this forum for the past couple of months, two happenings have really enchanted and transfixed me: (1) Mr. Craig's spirited audacity to house an Acunto oven inside his garage and (2) Mr. Scpizza's tantalizing experiment with his Santos fork mixer. As to the latter, while it is not a miracle, it is miraculous nonetheless! View for yourself and take a walk to the dark side of the moon:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:01:40 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »

While I am waiting for a consulting firm (specializing in electric motors) to call me back in regard to using the right "Variable Frequency Drive" (VFD) to be used with the Santos Dough Mixer, I thought I recap some of the essential points that have been made so far (after I restate the specifications for the Santos Dough Mixer below):

Santos Dough Mixer Specifications:
Model 18
Motor Type: Single-phase asynchronous/induction motor (capacitor start motor)
Voltage: 100-120 V
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Wattage: 650 W
Amperage: 4.5 A
Motor Speed: 1800 RPM at 60 Hz

The Problem:
How to decrease the RPM (rotation per minute) of the Santos motor.

Essential Points:
Mr. Holorim: "When I owned a [Santos] 18 mixer (many years ago), I managed to change the speed quite easily. Its single phase motor was fitted with a permanent capacitor (instead of a starting capacitor which is disconnected since the rotor began to run), and this allowed me to drive it via a frequency inverter. But be careful to not choose any [frequency inverter] model: theses devices are first of all made for 3 phase induction motors, but few models are able to drive single phase motor which do not have transitional state when starting (i.e permanent capacitor)..."

Mr. Holorim: "In my opinion, its better to keep the actual motor, and to power it with a 3-phase inverter which can drive single-phase motor (i.e. Siemens Micromaster's range)."

Mr. Holorim: "The inverter doesn't control directly the motor RPM, but produces a current with an adjustable frequency; but on an induction motor the frequency affects the RPM, which is the same goal indeed. All inverters are able to yield from 0Hz to 60Hz (and many more but it doesn't recommended to overspeed a motor which isn't designed for): then you may be able to adjust the motor at the speed you want, from 0 up to 1600 RPM with an accuracy of a couple of RPMs."

Mr. Scott r: "Sounds like you [Scpizza] must have bypassed the capacitor for everything but the startup allowing the use of the vfd?"

Mr. Apizza: "So a possible fix is to defeat the centrifical switch that disconnects the start capacitor (after start) and run on a VFD? Makes sense to me."

Two days ago, after I talked about this issue to another company that specializes in VFDs, they emailed me as follows: "We don't sell any drives that can be used on single-phase motors. You would need to search Google for a company that makes drives that will work with a capacitor start motor."

Is there such a thing as a VFD that works with a "capacitor start motor"? Per Mr. Holorim, above, "I managed to change the speed quite easily. Its [Santos'] single phase motor was fitted with a permanent capacitor (instead of a starting capacitor which is disconnected since the rotor began to run), and this allowed me to drive it via a frequency inverter. But be careful to not choose any [frequency inverter] model: theses devices are first of all made for 3 phase induction motors, but few models are able to drive single phase motor which do not have transitional state when starting (i.e permanent capacitor)..." Later, Mr. Holorim added, "In my opinion, its better to keep the actual motor, and to power it with a 3-phase inverter which can drive single-phase motor (i.e. Siemens Micromaster's range)."

If I understand this whole thing properly, a tentative solution to the problem involves 2 steps:
1) Getting the right VFD, and
2) Either changing the original capacitor to a "permanent capacitor", or somehow managing to have the VFD bypass the original capacitor (without replacing it) after the startup.

WARNING: NO ONE SHOULD TRY ANY OF THE ABOVE RISKY PROCEDURES (WHICH MAY BE LIFE THREATENING) WITHOUT EXPERT CONSULTATION AND PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:53:32 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
replacing the motor armature with a shaft and bearing block on the rear of the motor housing, and installing a treadmill motor (example: 0-8000rpm. ~2hp) with the controller to adjust the rpm may be the cheapest and safest solution.  a simple gear reduction via chain or belt can be made to give you a max rpm of say 2000rpm, where you can add more speed to the shaft over stock, but allow a slow 15-20 rpm speed for adding ingredients liable to blow up all over the place at full speed.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
replacing the motor armature with a shaft and bearing block on the rear of the motor housing, and installing a treadmill motor (example: 0-8000rpm. ~2hp) with the controller to adjust the rpm may be the cheapest and safest solution.  a simple gear reduction via chain or belt can be made to give you a max rpm of say 2000rpm, where you can add more speed to the shaft over stock, but allow a slow 15-20 rpm speed for adding ingredients liable to blow up all over the place at full speed.

Dear c0mpl3x, I appreciate your proposal. Good day!

Offline denrayr

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
OK i thnk you guys are way over complicating things. The start circuit uses a current sensing relay, so once the motor has started, the capacitor is out of the circuit. You could use a simple motor speed control and turn the mixer on with the speed control set to high. Once the motor is running you could turn it down to the desired speed.

There is a chance that the motor could start at lower speeds, but some testing would be required. The only side effect would be that the motor would hum and fail to start. As long as you quickly turn up the speed control or disconnect power, no damage would occur to the motor.

Here is an example of a simple speed control http://www.qcsupply.com/solid-state-manual-speed-control.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=productfeeds you would want to mount the speed control in a single gang electrical box. Coming out the box would be a cord with a male end and a cord with a female end. The mixer would plug into the female end and the male end goes in the outlet.

Here is a quick sketch of how it would be wired

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
According to this site that control is not for capacitor start motors.
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/kbwc.htm

I think that since the Santos uses an induction motor with a start capacitor, that control is not going to do it. I think most of us feel the Santos motor speed is controlled by line frequency and a reduction in voltage would cause stalling and heat.

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
Dear Omid!....Hope all is well !

Mr Fouquet emailed me saying that they are at work in
trying to reduce the speed , they found a way with a new gear box
to reduce it 20% and are figuring out if they could go further !

I think that it's really special of having someone dream about a better
product and having someone like Mr Fouquet getting involved
in trying to find some solutions,
we dont see this often !

Louis

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Dear Omid!....Hope all is well !

Mr Fouquet emailed me saying that they are at work in trying to reduce the speed , they found a way with a new gear box to reduce it 20% and are figuring out if they could go further!

I think that it's really special of having someone dream about a better product and having someone like Mr Fouquet getting involved
in trying to find some solutions, we dont see this often !

Louis

Dear Louis, this is indeed good news, and I thank you for all your time and efforts. I am also grateful to Mr. Fouquet for his understanding and consideration. (Dans le cas où vous lisez ce monsieur Fouquet, JE VOUS REMERCIE pour le travail sur le mélangeur Santos pour le ralentir. VOUS ÊTES UNE PERSONNE MERVEILLEUSE.)

If I am not mistaken, reducing the fork RPM (which is currently 84 at 60Hz and 110 V) by 20% yields a fork speed of about 67.2 RPM. In my humble opinion, the Santos engineers need to reduce the fork speed, if mechanically possible at all, way lower than 67.2 RPM! The Pietroberto mixer La Vittoria 35 (with a dough capacity of 35 Kg) has a fork speed of 26 RPM for its 1-speed model, and fork speeds of 20.5 RPM and 31 RPM for its 2-speed model. Furthermore, Pietroberto mixer La Vittoria 17 (with a dough capacity of 17 Kg) has a fork speed of 23 RPM for its 1-speed model, and fork speeds of 20.5 RPM and 31 RPM for its 2-speed model).

I am still grateful for what Santos engineers have done so far. I highly appreciate their efforts. Even if they somehow manage to reduce the speed to no less than 42 RPM, that would still be a great achievement! I think once they accomplish this, many people will probably consider purchasing Santos dough mixers. I personally know 7 people who are optimistically waiting for the results of this development.

Again, I opulently thank both of you, monsieur Louis and Fouquet. Have a wonderful weekend!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:26:07 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
Omid,
I am using the Pietroberto 2 speed model that you speak of. If you like I can take a video for you to use as a reference point.

Matt

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
Omid,
I am using the Pietroberto 2 speed model that you speak of. If you like I can take a video for you to use as a reference point.
Matt

Dear Matthew, that would be wonderful if it is no trouble! Thank you.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »

No trouble at all my friend!  I am conducting pizzaiolo interviews this morning at the restaurant & will shoot a video for you.  If you're interested in moving to Toronto I'll hire you anytime ;)

Matt

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
No trouble at all my friend!  I am conducting pizzaiolo interviews this morning at the restaurant & will shoot a video for you.  If you're interested in moving to Toronto I'll hire you anytime ;)

Matt

Dear Matthew, I thank you for your confidence in me. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »
Any updates?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Any updates?

I hope the French engineers at Santos come up with a sound solution soon!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
Is the fork on the Santos removable?
-Jeff

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
Is the fork on the Santos removable?

Yes, the fork is fully removable.

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:06 AM »
Let's just hope we get an answer, on my part I have tried to find info on slowing down our machines, but the people I know are not savvy enough for this.  I just hope no one forgets......