Author Topic: Slowing down a Santos Mixer  (Read 14644 times)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: Slowing down a Santos Mixer
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
Let's just hope we get an answer, on my part I have tried to find info on slowing down our machines, but the people I know are not savvy enough for this.  I just hope no one forgets......

Yes, let's hope the engineers at Santos are still working on reducing the fork speed. You can go to Santo's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Santos/163708566978747) and scroll down (or search) to find Mr. "Nicolas Fouquet", who is one the Santos employees working on this problem. Then you can ask him for an update, which may also serve as a reminder. I already did the same today. I encourage you (and the rest of the Santos owners) to do the same so they can see that we mean business, and that we are waiting for a solution! Good day.  
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:46 PM »
Any updates?

I have good news for the Santos enthusiats! . . .

Recently, I sent a message to the Santos Fork Mixer representative (Mr. Nicolas Fouquet) in France, asking him, "Are your engineers still working on reducing the fork speed of 'Santos Fork Mixer'?" Today, he replied:  

"We will try and beat Master Omid with a perfect solution... can't say no more..."

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »
PN, thank you for your continued efforts to solve the Santos puzzle. All of us fellow Santos owners are anxious to have a solution. Cheers
Russ

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
PN, thank you for your continued efforts to solve the Santos puzzle. All of us fellow Santos owners are anxious to have a solution. Cheers

Dear Pizza Rustica, you are welcome! Until Santos comes up with a solution (which can easily take 6 months or more), you may like to check out some of my experiments/research on the Santos mixer. They may provide you with an interim solution. Good night!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg158641.html#msg158641
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg158855.html#msg158855
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg159203.html#msg159203

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
PN, thanks for the links. I reviewed in amazement at your insight and understanding of pizza making. I will be attempting to repeat your efforts this weekend. Thanks again, cheers.
Russ

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
 Help My head is spinning faster than an un modified Santos mixer!!Not sure where to post this but its on topic of fork mixer so.. That said I am strongly considering the purchase of a Mecnosud Fork mixer (Italian made and ranks up there with Pietroberto according to some knowledgable forum members) for use in my Catering business. No Hobart, no spiral, remember this is a passion  ;D
any way -- I am very concerned now with the power specs fork speed... . Is any one familiar with these mixers? The seller is requesting the fork speed from the compay but wont hear til Monday. They offer what they call an already converted for US market electric spec. 220/60/1
single phase one speed which I assume is the correct speed
also in question the next size up is not much more $$ wise But I am concerned about how little % of Max
flour and paste I can do and properly mix? if max flour is 23KG can I do say 12kg of flour (75 dough balls average party)and have it mix right this is my average party size ? If I go bigger I can do street fairs... big catering ...  oh  Didint I say I was staying out of that?? any help is appreciated and local members are welcome give it a spin of course.
thanks
John
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
Can't be help much but I think somewhere back a few posts Omid is hoping for a fork speed of 20 to 26 RPM. Something to remember for Monday. I guess the key is what is the fork speed at 220v/60HZ/1 phase.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
I saw Omid was looking for  40-45 rpm max but not the 20-26 ? Omid is there any relation to bowl size and speed? or general assumption? for 25-40 rpm would be nice? Yes key is what is the speed if I "plug it in" to 220 USA without 15 gizmos and atttachment was hopng someone had some experience with that or the batch size?
Thanks!
Larry?
John really
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
John, see reply 170 for Omid's views on fork speed. I'm sure he will check in to this topic for an update and answer your questions.
Marty

Offline Drgolf369

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
The European Santos model turns at 70 RPM just a little slower than the US version at 80 RPM. If most people want much slower speeds, 30 RPM, why don't the European customer desire the same speed?
I don't think an electrical approach is feasible and if accomplished, the torque output would not satisfy the requirements.
It seems to me that the only way to slow the Santos down is through a gear change.
Has anyone disassembled the mixer and see how much room there is in the housing?
Any other ideas.
Thanks,
Joel

Offline holorim

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
One way to slow down the mixer without loosing torque (and without altering the mechanical parts), is to use an inverter which can drive a single-phase induction motor. This is possible for the santos fork mixer, as the motor owns a permanent capacitor like many Santos machines ; however a specific inverter has to be used, given that many models are only designed to drive 3-phase motors.

"Has anyone disassembled the mixer and see how much room there is in the housing?"
Yes I already serviced my old used mixer before selling it. The transmission is extremely simple : only a worm drive keyed on the motor rotor, and a worm gear which directly drives the kneading fork (The worm drive is made of hardened steel, and the worm gear is made of brass). Any good milling shop would be able to realize new parts with a greater gear ratio, indeed.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:00:07 PM by holorim »

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2012, 03:37:47 AM »
Not to hijack a thread, but I am on the hunt for a Santos.  Anyone know of someone selling one?

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »
Just checking if anyone has found any new methods that they are willing to share?

Offline starita

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
Digging up an old thread!

I'll be receiving one of these Santos #18 mixers in less than a week. Does anyone have first hand experience of reducing the fork speed? If so, can you please share what you did.

Thanks