Author Topic: White Sauce recommendations or recipes anyone?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Saturday Coffee

White Sauce recommendations or recipes anyone?
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »
I've never made a white sauce for pizza -- any suggestions?  Anyone willing to share a recipe?

Does anyone use condensed soup like Cream of ..... Mushroom, Celery, Chicken, Asparagus, Poblano or Cream of Jalapeno to make a white sauce?

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: White Sauce recommendations or recipes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:01:29 AM »
Saturday Coffee
As an experiment, I once made a ham n cheese pizza on a rye dough. I used this mustard sauce, which could easily be tweaked for a white sauce   http://www.godecookery.com/begrec/begrec46.htm

Offline scottm

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:52 AM »
I've used alfredo sauce with great success (for mushroom/chicken pizza). I've also used ranch and caesar dressing - what kinds of toppings did you have in mind?

Scott

Offline JJP

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »
Ranch & Caesar? Are you saying you mixed that together to make a white sauce?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
I also often use alfredo sauce. Usually, I add some minced garlic and/or tomato pesto.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:08:50 AM »
My own personal favorite is an Alfredo sauce to which I add some basil pesto that I make from my home grown basil. This year we are drying tomatoes, it seems by the bushel, so I'm looking forward to making some home brewed dried tomato pesto and using that in the Alfredo.
The Alfredo sauce is great when making a chicken topped pizza, or even a vegetarian presentation. Try Alfredo sauce sprinkled with dried dill weed, and top with a variety of seafood, add some onion, a few slices of fresh tomato, top lightly with Mozzarella cheese and finish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
A simple white sauce can also be made from ricotta cheese, milk, and some spices.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »
I make a quick and easy Alfredo sauce by cooking together 1/4 stick of butter, 1-cup of whipping cream, 2-cloves of garlic (minced) and 1.5 cups of Grated/powdered Parmesan cheese. To this I like to add a couple tablespoons of my home made basil pesto, or you could use any commercial basil or sundried tomato pesto.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
..... ..... what kinds of toppings did you have in mind?

White sauce, shrimp, bacon, artichoke hearts, onion, fresh spinach, cheese, mushrooms, maybe a few grape-size tomatoes, and more bacon.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »
A simple white sauce can also be made from ricotta cheese, milk, and some spices.
I love the taste of ricotta..... I bet a ricotta sauce would also be versatile enough to make a fantastic dessert pizza too.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
It would.  Cream cheese would work as well.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »
I love the taste of ricotta..... I bet a ricotta sauce would also be versatile enough to make a fantastic dessert pizza too.

When I lived in NY,all the white pizzas I ate were made with a ricotta sauce.They were incredible!
 :)
-Bill

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
First White Sauce Pizza made using a simple Alfredo (leftover from a previous dish).  Topped with cooked diced bacon, minced artichoke hearts, mushrooms, cheese, red onion, red and yellow pepper, cheese, Parmesan and grape tomatoes sliced in half.  Thin crust.  Baked in a electric home oven at 500 for 11 minutes.

The pizza was good -- but it would have been much, much better with a ricotta base.

I will try this again next week using a ricotta base, and similar toppings - including fresh spinach.

SC

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
the white sauce i usually use is 3/16lb margarine, 1/16lb butter, 1/8lb olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, ~1/16t black pepper, no salt, no sugar, 1/2t parsley, basil, oregano.  mince garlic, add 1T of olive oil to a saucepan.   brown your garlic.   add the spices, butter and margarine and turn down to a low heat until melted, stirring as needed to prevent sticking.  when it's all melted, stir/whisk in your remaining oil.

why oil?  it keeps the butter fluid at room temp enough to be used without a knife, but still thick enough to stick to a silicone brush.

if i'm making a garlic ranch base, i use hidden valley ranch powder 1T to 1/8c light mayo (not miracle whip) and 1/2c 2% or whole milk (not heated at all at any point) to a cooled garlic butter mixture at a ratio of garlic:ranch 2:1 to 4:1 depending on the toppings.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 10:30:17 PM »
Your Pizza looks great! Nice Job!

I agree about the Ricotta sauce base,it shines on a pizza when done right.I love Alfredo type sauce,but I always felt Alfredo sauce was best on pasta and/or chicken.Just a personal opinion.

Just don't smear Ricotta onto a crust,check the sauce ideas out.I had a recipe a while back but stupid me,I deleted it by mistake.A old friend of mine worked in a NY pizza shop and made white pizzas as well.I do recall they added eggs,salt,pepper,garlic,and some other stuff to the base sauce.I forget what it all was.

I sent him an email a few days ago and hope to hear back again.I LOVED their white pies...I hope to duplicate it soon.

:)

-Bill

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for the recipes and inspiration on the white sauces.

Bill/SFNM:  Appreciate the link to all the white sauce info - I am overwhelmed with all the info.

The Dough Doctor: Your Alfredo with Sundried tomato pesto will certainly be one to try very soon. 

Ev: Will try Alfredo with tomato pesto next time. My family won't eat pizza every night, so it will have to wait about a week or two before I attempt to make that one using The Dough Doctor's sauce recipe.

c0mpl3x: Your sauce using the oil seems like it would make a fabulous focaccia topping with simply a few olives and some fresh herbs. 

Are you buying Hidden Valley Ranch powder?  Make your own using recipe link below + some buttermilk powder (use King Arthur or Saco brand).     
http://www.food.com/recipe/hidden-valley-ranch-buttermilk-dressing-mix-74560

dmcavanagh:  Great mustard sauce recipe - I may try that with some asparagus I wrap with thinly sliced ham.   The sauce has a nice base and I would have to eliminate the mustard for use on a pizza.  Thanks for the recipe.

scottm:  Alfredo worked beautifully -- especially on my first white sauce pizza.

Road Pizza:  I agree that Ricotta will probably make the best white sauce for a pizza. I adore both the the taste and texture of Ricotta.

Chicken Parm:  I am thinking Ricotta, egg and sour cream would probably make a great sauce. Let me know if you get a hold of the Ricotta sauce recipe.  FYI:  For Zwiebelkuchen (German-style onion-bacon pie pizza) I use about a 50/50 blend of sour cream and eggs to make the sauce.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
I make a great dessert pizza using a cheese base and fresh fruit. To make the cheese base:
16-ounces of cream cheese or creamy Ricotta
8-ounces powdered sugar
Mix together until smooth, then add 2-whole eggs (about 100-grams) and mix in well.
Then add 16-ounces of sour cream and mix until smooth and creamy. The mixture should have the consistence of mayonnaise or soft butter. If it is too stiff, add a little milk or cream to thin it slightly.
Apply about 1/4-inch thick to the dough skin, then add the fruit of your choice, such as thin slices of apple, banana, halved grapes, sliced strawberries, blue berries, Mandarin orange slices, mango slices, peach slices, or slices of kiwi. Bake as you would any thin crust pizza. Allow the baked pizza to cool for a couple minutes, then drizzle with a powdered sugar icing. Serve: Fresh and hot as is, or alamode, or serve it cold.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
I make a great dessert pizza using a cheese base and fresh fruit. ... ... ... ...

One could easily get hooked on dessert pizzas. It's a good thing I have two 16 inch pizza pans - one for dinner and one for dessert. 

I would have to try one with peaches and cream cheese with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.  Maybe with a pecan streusel topping.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »
I think I am hooked on this white sauce.  I now purposely set aside extra white sauce when making an alfredo, so I can use it on a pizza the next day.

This one is spinach, bacon, artichoke, mushroom, green olive, tomato and cheese with an alfredo sauce.  12 to 14 minutes at 500 in a home oven.