Author Topic: Milk Kefir Smoothies at the Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show  (Read 5771 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza

My playing around with milk kefir in different ways, found me a job for Labor Day weekend.  I am going to be selling milk kefir smoothies at the Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show at Rootís market. 

http://www.heartoflancasterartsandcraftshow.com/  some images from last years Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show at Rootís market.  http://aj42.jalbum.net/2010/
And information if anyone is interested. http://heartoflancasterartsandcraftshow.com/show%20info.php

I am going to be using a Maui smoothie base with my milk kefir at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13178.0.html  and Reply 21  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13178.msg137003.html#msg137003 to make the smoothies at the Arts and Craft Fair.  I will be the first person in Pa. that is approved by the Department of Agriculture to sell smoothies with milk kefir.  Hopefully it will go well.

http://www.pavendors.com/events/lancaster-county/manheim-september-arts-and-craft-show.htm

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: Milk Kefir Smoothies at the Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
Congrats!   I hope the weather is nice for you!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
Congrats!   I hope the weather is nice for you!

Mick,

Thanks!  :) The weather is always a problem when an event is outside, but I will be selling the milk kefir smoothies at my pizza stand at market, so if it does rain, I can use the ingredients and ice at market.  The Maui smoothie mixes can be stored and used up to 6 months, and even after they are opened, they can be refrigerated for 4 weeks and still be used.

Norma

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
Way to go Norma !!! I am sure your Kefir Smoothies will be a success.  Do you have any literature to  explain what Kefir is and and its health benefits?  I am sure you will have your customers craving for more.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of the event.

P.S.
If you have time to experiment - maybe you will want to try my new favorite flavor combination of pineapple-cucumber. I have been getting the pineapple-cucumber Agua Fresca at a Mexican place nearby and am hooked. 

Houston has all these little Mexican shops and mobile stands that sell "Agua Fresca" Ė a thick Mexican juice drink(kind of like a smoothie but served over ice) made of sugar, water, and fresh fruit.  They are served like punch and ladled out of a large 5 gallon vitrolero (glass or plastic barrel shaped container).

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Way to go Norma !!! I am sure your Kefir Smoothies will be a success.  Do you have any literature to  explain what Kefir is and and its health benefits?  I am sure you will have your customers craving for more.

P.S.
If you have time to experiment - maybe you will want to try my new favorite flavor combination of pineapple-cucumber. I have been getting the pineapple-cucumber Agua Fresca at a Mexican place nearby and am hooked. 

Houston has all these little Mexican shops and mobile stands that sell "Agua Fresca" Ė a thick Mexican juice drink(kind of like a smoothie but served over ice) made of sugar, water, and fresh fruit.  They are served like punch and ladled out of a large 5 gallon vitrolero (glass or plastic barrel shaped container).

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

P.S.

Saturday Coffee,

Thanks for wishing me luck!  :)  I hope the Kefir Smoothies sell. I do have literature to explain what Kefir is and its health benefits.  I wonít be putting a lot of milk kefir in each smoothie though. 

I tried to sell pizza at the same event two years ago, and I am not sure why it didnít really go over.  I make the pizzas inside the market (which was closed for the event) and my daughter carried them outside in a boxes and then they were held in a heated holding cabinet.  The event does draw many customers from all over, but for some reason the pizzas didnít make enough money for it to be worth me doing it again.  I really think customers couldnít really see me making the pizzas, so they werenít sure they were fresh, but they were. Food vendors on either side of me were crazy busy.  Maybe next year if I get my Weber Grill going, I will try to sell pizzas made in the Weber.  At least I am lucky I can go inside market to wash dishes or keep things cold.

Maybe if you have time to explain exactly how Aqua Frescaís are made, I will try to make them.  Awhile ago I did sell Aqua Frescaís, at my Mexican and Funnel Cake stand, but they were only from a dry mix.  I am sure your Mexican Aqua Frescaís are a lot better.  The pineapple-cucumber really sounds yummy!  :)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
When I went to market today, I went to talk to the manager of the Arts & Craft Show for Saturday and Sunday to find out where my vendor space would be.  Two years ago, when I went to a one day Arts & Craft Show, I had a different vendor space.  To my horror today the manger told me I wouldnít have any electric this year.  :o I asked him how was I going to make milk kefir smoothies in a blender without electric.  The manager then told me most of the vendors near me had generators.  Well, I have no generator, and didnít think only milk keifr smoothies would generate enough money for me to buy one or rent one.  I quickly thought about what else I could make to make up the money if I needed to rent a generator.  I knew I never even operated a generator, and that had me concerned too!  :-\ I did think back to when I made zeppoles at Reply 456, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg99179.html#msg99179
and also the Pizzetteís I made at Reply 463 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg99680.html#msg99680
I now guess if I can rent a generator, I will learn to operate it and sell zeppoles and Pizzetteís, at the Arts & Craft festival.  I called around a few places, and I will call around more on Wednesday and a generator will probably run around 90.00 to rent it for 2 days.  Right now because of the hurricane, all the generators are out, but the man told me they probably would be back in the store by Wednesday.  You never know what is going to happen when you first want to be a food vendor. 

I do have a heated food container (something like for soup or heated sauce) that I might use. 

What I am really posting about is if anyone has any other ideas of stuff for me to sell, that would be easy and not need a bigger generator and also something another food vendor wouldnít have to sell. I would appreciate suggestions.  ;D I didnít think this vendor spot would involve pizza dough, but I guess it will turn out that way.  :-D I donít know if I should be posting this here, or if I should ask for HELP on another thread.

Thanks for looking!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
I donít know what I was thinking, when I said I still would be a food vendor at the Arts and Crafts show at market, after I found out I needed a generator and said I would sell more food than milk kefir smoothies.  I had called the food vendor manger yesterday and told him, it would be too expensive for me to rent a generator for two days, after I had the wattage and volts my equipment would draw.  I found out a generator would cost me over 130.00 plus tax and then I would also have to rent a pop-up canopy, because I sold my other one.  The manger understood my dilemma.  After a few hours he called me back and said the market manger would give me a generator to use from the golf course, free of charge.  Well, then the event was back on again, but I looked for a tent on sale. I had to drive to Harrisburg to get the pop-up canopy, but it was only 50.00 and if I donít go to anymore events, I can sell it.  Yesterday and today, I spend most of the day preparing and probably wonít be finished until late tonight.  When I was at market today, out of state vendors were setting up.  My food stand vendors number is 21, but I sure donít feel like twenty-one.  There is also a picture of some of the tiny dough balls I made today for tomorrow.

I guess being a food vendor stays in your blood, but I do think I am getting too old for all this carrying on.  :-D I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully my food and milk kefir smoothies will be good and will sell.  There are a lot of food vendors and also a lot of art and craft vendors.  I took a few pictures where my food vendor stand will be. and also a picture of the signs that are posted everywhere around our area.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
Well, I made it through day one, of the Arts & Crafts Festival at market.  :)  I sold milk kefir smoothies, in the favors of peach, wildberry, strawberry, and lemon ice. I also sold Mexican duritos (fried wheat wheels), with fresh hot salsa and lime, fried zeppoles, fried calzones, and fried fritttas, (which are like a fried pizza) and Watermelon, lime, and mint Aqua Frescas.  I thought I never would get the van unpacked, but I did.  The vendor food manager did bring me the generator to use.  

The pictures were taken after I got set-up and partly near the end of the day.  I did take a picture of Francescoís pizza truck, before it was open.  I also introduced myself to him at the end of the day, and we talked about pizza.  He also wants to buy my small pizza stand at market.  I still canít figure out why people that do have bigger pizzerias want to buy my small pizza stand.  Another interesting vendor was right next to me.  They sold Wok Fired Soba Noodles with vegetables and also with chicken. http://www.islandnoodles.com/  Someone might ask what is Island Noodles.  If anyone is interested this is what they are. http://www.islandnoodles.com/island-noodles-what-is.html  I did eat some today and they were tasty.

I watched them set-up and watched their operation when I could.  I was interested in how their woks worked and how much heat was coming from them.  At the end of the day I talked to them more, and said I never saw a set-up with a woks and burners like they had.  The one man explained to me no one else has the kind of equipment they use for their woks.  He said the man that started Island Noodles invented the burner and no one else has the kind of burners they use.  That piqued my interest.  I really looked at the burners for the woks, but might take some more pictures of the burners tomorrow.  Those burners sure were powerful.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Well, I made it through the second day of the Arts and Craft Show at market.  Although I have always loved to be a food vendor at different places, I am almost positive this will be my last year to try something like this.  I guess I forget how much work there is to prepare, load the van, unload the van, set-up and then go through a day of selling food and drinks.  Yesterday I had to tear everything down, load the van, then unload everything again this morning.  After I was set-up, I went and talked to Frank of Francescoís Pizza.  The food vendor manager had moved him from the spot he had yesterday, to two stands away from where I was set-up.  Frank is really a nice man, and we talked about pizza for awhile again.  I told him I was a member of pizzamaking.com and told him how I like to study pizza and also experiment.  Frank was making calzones to put in his case and gave me a fresh calzone right out of the oven. Frank turns his calzones in the oven with his bare hands.  Frank has been in the pizza business for 32 years, working 7 days a week.  He said soon he is only going to work 6 days a week.  I asked Frank if he minded if I took a few pictures, and posted them here on the forum.  He said he didnít mind.  We talked about flours and deck  ovens. Frank said to come back when he was opening up dough for regular pizzas, because he wanted to show me how he twirled his dough, but I didnít have time,  I had to go back to my stand, but I did go back to talk to Frank near the end of the day.  

Since yesterday was the first time I sold milk kefir smoothies, (the same milk kefir I had used to make some pizzas), I thought I would include a few pictures of what a strawberry milk kefir smoothie looks like.  

The second time I went to talk to Frank we talked about his Bakerís pride oven he had on his truck and what kind of oven he had in his pizza business.  I asked Frank how big his pies were and he said 20Ē.  I asked him why he made 20Ē pies and he said so customers get bigger slices.  I also asked Frank how much his dough balls weighed and he said 18 oz.  I also asked Frank what temperature he kept his oven at and what he said sure surprised me since his pies didnít look like they were baked at that temperature.  He also told me that his oven at his pizza business loses heat faster than his Bakerís Pride on his truck.  He is looking for a Bakerís Pride oven for his regular pizza business.  Frank uses a Blodgett oven at his regular place of business.  I invited Frank over to market some Tuesday to talk about pizza, and also see what he thinks of how my pizzas taste.  Frank said he did also own another pizza business awhile ago and had a Brick oven in that place.  He said the Brick oven pizza didnít go over well, but that business still has his name, but someone else operates it.  Frank said he would come to market some Tuesday.  Another thing I found interesting, is Franks doughs sat in his dough trays all day long without being refrigerated.  

Today was really muggy and sticky.  In the middle of the day to the end of the day it sure felt hot!  Although it is hot at regular market, at least there are fans.  I know I am getting too old to do this type of stuff, but for some reason, I still find it enjoyable, even with all the lifting and dragging stuff around.  :-D I did take a lot of my stuff into my stand at market to wash, but I also have a lot to unload out of the van, clean and put away.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:28:25 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
Norma

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Looks like the Lancaster Arts and Crafts Show was a success.  The Milk Kefir Smoothies look great.  What was your most popular selling flavor?   

Frank's 20-inch pies look great.  If my oven was bigger I probably would try a 20-inch pie. His comments on how he feels the Baker's Pride retains the heat much better over the Blodgett are interesting.  18 oz. dough ball, too.  Great investigative work.  Frank looks like he loves his work - I would certainly buy pizza from him.

Looking forward to hearing if he shows you how he twirls his dough.  Maybe soon, when he drops by your stand at Root's Market.

Love hearing about your market adventures.

-SC

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
Norma,

You could have at least straightened out that table cloth, for crying out loud!  ;D

I'm just kidding!! It looks like it was a great weekend for you. Smoothies, calzones, 20" pies...boy, I'd love that. Was today the last day of the A&C show?

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/