Author Topic: Milk Kefir Smoothies at the Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show  (Read 5757 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Milk Kefir Smoothies at the Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »
Looks like the Lancaster Arts and Crafts Show was a success.  The Milk Kefir Smoothies look great.  What was your most popular selling flavor?   

Frank's 20-inch pies look great.  If my oven was bigger I probably would try a 20-inch pie. His comments on how he feels the Baker's Pride retains the heat much better over the Blodgett are interesting.  18 oz. dough ball, too.  Great investigative work.  Frank looks like he loves his work - I would certainly buy pizza from him.

Looking forward to hearing if he shows you how he twirls his dough.  Maybe soon, when he drops by your stand at Root's Market.

Love hearing about your market adventures.

-SC

Saturday Coffee,

The Arts and Crafts show was interesting. I always enjoy watching what other food vendors are selling.  I really got a good look at the burners for those Woks today.  Those burners sure can crank out the heat.   Thanks for saying the Milk Kefir Smoothies look great.  They really arenít sweet at all.  I found that interesting.  The most popular selling flavor was Wildberry. 

I thought Franksí pies were interesting in that they were 20Ē.  Frank does love his work.  He said he has tried many formulas (I am not sure if he uses bakerís percents) for pizza, and although he does prefer others, this is the type of pizza that sells.  I didnít get a chance to take a picture of the bottom crust, but it was evenly browned, something like the calzone he gave me.  Frank and I also talked about how much work goes into running a pizzeria 7 days a week.  He said he was going from the event today back to his shop and then make pizza all night.  I think Frank makes a real NY style pie.

Maybe, when Frank stops by my stand I can get a picture of him if he tries to twirl my dough.  I found Frank to be a very interesting man.  I wonder if anyone want to take a stab at what temperature Frank says he bakes his pies.

Thanks for saying you do like to read about my market adventures.  I wanted to let you know the Aqua Frescaís I made did sell well.  Thanks for the tips on them!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Norma,

You could have at least straightened out that table cloth, for crying out loud!  ;D

I'm just kidding!! It looks like it was a great weekend for you. Smoothies, calzones, 20" pies...boy, I'd love that. Was today the last day of the A&C show?

Mike,

At my age it was a struggle to get all the stuff out of the van and into place.  :-D

Today was the last day of the Arts and Craft show.  i don't think I could have lasted another day.  I am tired.  :-D  I still have a bunch of stuff to get put away tomorrow.  

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »
Mike,

At my age it was a struggle to get all the stuff out of the van and into place.  :-D

Norma

Norma,

Thanks for the info that it was the last day.

But the age thing...I don't know...you look as fresh and young as a spring chicken so don't be so hard on yourself.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
Norma,

But the age thing...I don't know...you look as fresh and young as a spring chicken so don't be so hard on yourself.  ;D

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment, but my body does know it is getting older.

Norma

parallei

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
Norma - Thanks for posting about your food vending at the Arts and Craft Fair.  That sure looks like a whole bunch of work in that heat!  The smoothies look great.

By the looks of it, I'd have to guess that fellow bakes at a pretty low temp.....425?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »
Norma - Thanks for posting about your food vending at the Arts and Craft Fair.  That sure looks like a whole bunch of work in that heat!  The smoothies look great.

By the looks of it, I'd have to guess that fellow bakes at a pretty low temp.....425?

Paul,

It is a bunch of work to set-up for anything outside.  From getting signs ready, to getting lists ready for all the equipment ready you might need, to making sure you have any prep work done, takes more time than many people might think.  I didnít post a picture of my big Coleman cooler, but it holds about 80 lbs. of ice.  I had to drag that thing about a half a block to my inside stand after I was finished the first day, and then drag it outside again the next day.  My husband and I used to have a concession trailer we took to many events, but at least most of the equipment stayed inside the concession trailer.  Some of those events we went to lasted 10 days. We also set-up for some events for 4 days on the ground.  There is always dragging a lot of ice along, if you are selling drinks.  My one friend was next to me at the event the last few days. She is also in the concession business, and owns two concession trailers.  Her and her husband go to auctions and events like the last two days.  We talked about how much work it is to get ready for those events and really not knowing how much ingredients to take along.  There are always food vendors arguing if someone places them near another person that might be selling something along the same lines as they are selling.  I posted in my other reply that I am almost positive that I wonít be ever doing any of these events again, because of all the behind the scenes work that has to be done before an event.  I had doing this in my blood for a long time, and really just guess I wanted to see if I could do it again.  I donít know what I was thinking.  :-D At least when you have a permanent stand somewhere, all the equipment is there and you just have to get your ingredients to be able to prepare your products.  When trying to take down your set-up at the end of the day in the heat and humidity it can get very tiring.  Then you always have to worry about the weather when you are a vendor outside, unless you have a concession trailer.  I talked to the men that ran the Wok Soba Noodles stand at the end of the day yesterday, and they also said if it rains you just have to shove everything into whatever you had placed it in, and clean up all the stuff, before the next day.  Their food business had a lot of heavy equipment involved, plus all the ingredients.

Thanks for saying the smoothies look great.  :) I am now going to be trying to sell them at my market stand.

I had looked at Frankís temperature on his oven, and it looked to me to be about 525 degrees F.  I couldnít really tell though.  It had some kind of knob that looked like a damper.  I asked him about that knob.  I guessed his temperature Frank baked at was 525 degrees F.  He told me he bakes at 575 degrees F.  I said that surprised me.  He then said customers want a pie fast, so that is why he bakes at those temperatures.  I still couldnít believe he baked those pies at that high of a temperature from the looks of his pies.  I still wonder how his dough balls stayed in the heat and humidity all day long and seemed to stay the same.  I didnít take of picture of the dough trays, but they can be seen in some of the pictures.  Someday if I have time, I will visit Franksí pizza business.  It is close to where I live.  Frank is really very interesting.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
Two shows in Lancaster County feature artisans from far and wide for this weekend.  One is at Rootís.

http://www.dailylocal.com/article/20120831/ENTERTAINMENT01/120839994/2-shows-in-lancaster-county-feature-artisans-from-far-and-wide

http://calendar.lancasteronline.com/manheim_pa/events/show/268785346-heart-of-lancaster-county-arts-and-crafts-show

I heard on our local radio station yesterday that the Rootís Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show has now been listed as one of top 100 best Arts and Crafts Festivals in the country.  This is the first year it was voted in the top 100.

Norma