Long time it has been, that i tried getting a reasonable pie done at home.
I was always aware since a teenager, that heat is the key to a good pizza, or at least helping tremendously.
Said and done, A canadian Broil King was aquired here in Asia. Probably paid way too much here, but i am using it regularly and now trying to get the secrets of a pie on the BBQ grill as many here.
My target is to achieve a pizza, that has a bit of a rim crisp when you bite in it and then being moist inside. It should be able to hold its shape as a slice.
I made a few attempts and i am coming close what i would like to achieve. One lesson learned when baking with a stone is to go under the pie with a peel after around 20 to 30 seconds. It seems to seal the bottom and IMO helps to prevent burning. Does anyone have had the same experience ?
Heat from below is no problem, this one I found out before i discovered this forum. My pizza soapstone i brought over from europe couldnt stand the heat of my first attempt. The bbw gets around 800F hot or more. So i got a half round metal strainer which i put on the grids to
1) elevate the stone
2) lift the pizza close to the lid of the bbq, where i hoped the convection heat would be higher than the stone temp.
Lesson learned: got enough heat, even on the stone, but not enough heat from top to get a char in the target level. When i opened the lid to turn the pie too much heat gets lost. If i would leave it longer, the bottom would burn
Therefore IMO it is essential to follow the way many have gone, by creating a kind of a chamber to deflect the heat down and preserve it when opening the hood.
This time i built a chamber with stones and additionally isolated the grid above for keeping the bbq goods warm (sorry for my English, hope you understand)
Pie browns better from top, but burns faster (since the stone sits on the grids). Definitely a stone isolation should take place.
I used the flavorbars which normally sit above the burners to put under the stone.
All in all a good attempt
I used the flaps which normally separate the chambers besides the burners to deflect the heat under the grids upwards. Additionally i used my rotisserie burner at the rear.
- the rotisserie burner absolutely improved the top char and the flexibility, since I can use the peel to lift the pizza and hold it towards (not in) the flames.
- difficulties I had launching the second pie, because the front is not so high and so the pie landed half on front
Unfortunately the second pie should have been my masterpiece for this time and failed so terrible. Attempts to save it and transform into a calzone failed as well
Bad, because the second one was the one with the buffalo mozz that i got here for a fortune, hehe.
Naja, the first one was half with pineapple and ham, a concession to my wife so that i get her to tolerate sticking my head into this website so often
The dough was an experiment with Local HG flur which has a 13.7 protein and 7% sugar level. I had it in the fridge for 24h and gave it several folds. It ended up being very elastic and spring back, but had a lot of little bubble insides. This you can see on the blown up rim. Also i stretched it a bit to thin in the middle. Next time i use a lower protein flower and dont strech and fold so often. Other than this the first was crispy outside and moist inside.
The baking time was around 2 minutes this time, significantly shorter than before.
I post the pics below.
Let me also say I enjoy this forum a lot and the attitude of the members is so positve and helpful - unmet anywhere else.