Author Topic: Pie on the Barbie  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
Re: Pie on the Barbie
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
7 days frozen dough still left from the Bosch experiments ;-)

Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
Martin,

Your pies looks really tasty and evenly browned!  :)  You are doing a great job with your pies on the "Barbie".

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
started on  page two i was impressed by the pizza. i then read page one. i cannot believe those are grill cooked pies. that set up is working very well!!! looks like that will be my new experiment. look for another pm from me :D

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »
Thanks Norma & thezaman (is za standing for south africa ?)

I found out I like the neapoletan look, but the bite and slight crispiness of the NY so i guess it is what Chau and others call Hybrid ?
So when I use not so high temperatures it is actually better, ideal for me is around 360C/680F.
The browning i then do with a rear burner, which is like a gas flame and by holding the pie up close to the cookie sheet, where the temps are really high. There is a lot of rotation work involved, but the reward is a browned and somewhat charred crust and slices which hold by themselves. It is flexible and i can dose it, but still need to practice.

I am now trying to get the rim evenly browned and have the crust a bit lower, but still filled with airholes.
Next then my young Ischia cannot wait to get in the next dough  ;)

Greets,
Martin
Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
Very nice work Martin. And very inspirational for myself.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
Thanks a lot Kenneth and welcome. Anything i can share, let me know.

Martin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Very nice looking pies! Perfect browning on the bottom. I'm adding the Flammekueche to my list of pies to try.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
Thanks Craig, i am still not yet at the level of your BBQ Mod Pies, but can you hear me breathing  ;) ?
The Flammekueche try it rather thin crisp edge. i guess this will be 30 seconds in your WFO.
My Ischia seems ready now, will try out today.

Martin

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 02:58:26 AM »
Yesterday's bake with the Ischia starter producing a great result.
Had been interrupting my Pizza quest for two weeks on the occasion the birth of my son. He is doing great and cannot wait when he is allowed to eat pizza instead of liquid food   :P
60% Hydration 60/40 HG/Typo 00, starter 6% on flour weight. next time i will decrease it,but since the first try with less starter and IDY showed a mediocre result, i only used the well-fed starter and had good leaven and oven spring. Will reduce in the next bake to somewhat like 4% of flour weight and extent the fermentation period.

1. Pizza salami
2. Pizza with Ham and pineapple (my wife insists)
3. Pizza Calabrese: Tomatoe sauce, chilli marinated anchovies (hot), olives and fresh parmigiano after baking. This pizza i had in northern Italy on skiholidays. It is baked as a rosso and only finished with a bit of parmesan chees. Really very light and digestible and  the spicyness of the chilli together with the salty anchovies (drained before to remove some salt) and the fresh parmigiano  is a nice combo.

I liked the pies, but i want to increase the flavor from the Ischia starter a bit more next time. Otherwise soft with a little crunch, large airholes and baking time around 3 minutes at 700F.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »
Very nice work Martin.  Those pizzas would stand anywhere in the world as excellent. :chef:

More pictures of your next cook, please! :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:25 AM »
Thanks Gene,
I am just using the Ischia starter and still have to find the right balance between the amount of starter and the fermentation timing/temperature.
which setup are you using currently ? The self-made oven or your bbq ?
I think in my setup the real nice thing is the rotisserie flame, which goes along the cookie sheet placed on top, so the flame really provides the radiation and convection. i think however i have to protect the stone from the flame a bit more, so i might put a metal sheet not only above the burners as now, but also under the stone and at the sides of the stone at the rear. it is difficult to explain, but i will add photos later.
the stone in front is around 370C and close to the rotisserie flame it is around 420. I have lots of heat, but i would like a more even baking.
i keep you posted.

thanks
Martin

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
The self-made oven or your bbq ?

thanks
Martin

Usually the home oven or the self-made wood burning oven.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:30 AM »
Yesterday's evening bake....has to eat alone  :-\ cause wife is taking pizza break  :o

Anyways, lowered Ischia to 3%, lowered the baking temperature and 80/20 Bobs Mill/Divella 00 Flour.
The pie came out nice, slight veneer and moist inside, maybe half between napoletana and NY.
I increased the hydration to 64%, hand mixed.

1) Salami (added after baking) and grilled mushroom in olive oil
2) Ham and mushroom

I woud like to increase the crunch, without sacrifying the moisture. Maybe I will take bake the rotisserie burner a bit, but i do not want to lose the immediate oven spring.
Any suggestion are welcome !

Martin
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:17:55 AM by Martino1 »

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
This is yesterdays baking and so far the best.
60/40 HG/00, 3%starter Ischia, same day dough with 5 hours bulk , 5 hours ball proof.

1. Salsiccia italian sausage with ham and grilled mushrooms
2. Salami, Chilli, Mushroom
3. Ham and mushroom
the crust was good in all pizza. soft and crisp, but this time the balance between sauce, cheese and crust was better than before.
Pie no 2 was a bit too charred, maybe but again its up to each ones taste.

with 1 I tried neapolitan slap and stretch, with 3 i first stamped the rim and then pushed down (out) the center. Actually both worked well for an aerated crumb.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
They all look professional and delicious.  Excellent work Martin.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »
Great looking pies Martin. I think the char on the salami, chilli, mushroom is beautiful.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
Thanks a lot Gene. On the char: i a lso like it, but my wife will cut away the black spots, which is ok. i think in my grill, 370C/700F seems to be the sweet spot for my basalt stone temperature.

With the rotisserie burner a big flame is going along the ceiling (cookie sheet). I just need to turn it every 20 seconds or so.

Cheers
Martin

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Very nice work Martin.  The pies look delicious!

Chau

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »
Thank you Chau.
What I still struggle is how to call the style of Pizza I like. Some elements of the final result and ingredients are neapolitan, some elements might be New Yorkish.
Honestly I am lost where the Pies belong to. Maybe "Hybrid Neapartisan" ?

From neapolitan:
- I am striving for a air-filled, light crust, not chewy with a nice crisp/crunch
- I am using ca. 30-50% italian Typo 00 flour
- I am using a sourdough starter (Ischia)
- looking for an irregular char (leoparding)
- at the moment I do not use oil, sugar in the dough (i might try though)
- Cooking with rather large flames (radiation), with a hot stone (conduction) and hot airflow guided with stones in my BBQ (convection)

From NY Artisan/Elite style (I know I shouldn't use this expression).
- 700F relatively low baking temp and baking time >3 minutes. I could easily go higher and go sub-2 minutes, but I like the center not to be soggy and hold its shape (even though I also enjoy a true napoletana)
- use a content of rather High gluten flour (12.5% Protein)
- absence of WFO

in other words... Where is my home and where would I post the pictures and result of this pie : Neapolitan or NY section of this forum ?  ???

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:31:27 AM by Martino1 »

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:49 AM »
This was the latest bake in the Broil King Barbeque Set-up and after taking a little break from Pizzamaking (being busy with yearend and our little baby ;-)

I have made some modification on the dough formula and also slightly changed the set-up. I removed the metal plate over the burner and put some metal under the stone with the effect of faster pre-heat time (stone is heated in 35 minutes to 370 degrees C which is fine for my purpose).
I basically block the air on the sides and on the back behind the burner with stones. I use a cookie sheet, which will not crack if the rotisserie flame hits it and so i have really sufficient if not too much top-heat.

I am more looking towards the NY/NEA hybrid style. I have experimented a bit and for me the moderate temperature of 370C provides for crust characteristic which I prefer.

Here is a Margherita, a Tuna Onion and a picture of my set-up with the flame from the rotisserie burner. It really adds a lot of flexibility, but also involves some turning action.

Dough was 60:40 AP:BreadFlour with 64% hydration (I added 3% oil, 2% sugar and 2.7% salt). IDY of 0.8% of 0.44 gram (using a 1/100g precise digital jewelery scale for 10$).

In the meantime I am very satisfied with the results achieved under this limited set-up. Maybe when moving to another location I will think about a WFO... Even I can go for a 2 minute bake at higher temperature I must say i like a soft dough with a crisp and with a lower protein flour, but longer bake times (around 3.5 minutes) I seem to get the best results.

Sorry for the crappy picture with my handphone only.