Author Topic: Almost There! Broiler Finish and 5 Minute Pie!  (Read 7880 times)

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Almost There! Broiler Finish and 5 Minute Pie!
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Bill,

I just noticed the above percent for the IDY. Did you actually mean 0.02%, or did you mean to say 0.20%?

Peter

Ah,I must have typed it in wrong earlier and didn't catch it.Yes,Peter,that is correct,that would be 0.20%.
Thanks for catching that.
 :)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 03:37:58 AM »
I made another cheese pizza tonight...shocking eh?
 :-D

Its really to see what my doughs are going to do.

This was an KA AP flour dough,IDY,3% salt,63% hydration.16 inch doughball recipe.TF was at .09.No sugar or oil was added.I was amazed the AP floured dough browned as much as it did.Pizza cooked in 5 minutes on the screen,then 35 seconds under the broiler.I cooked it longer due to the screen use.I hate screens but its what I have to use to make pizzas over 16 inches.

Dough was stretched THIN to an 18 inch size.I had to use the screen,on top of the 15 stone to bake it.Dough was very strong,it stretched normally,did not pull back,but felt strong,Like I could stretch it as far as I wanted it to.

Dough did not feel over extensible,tear or feel weak anywhere.It was wonderful.I dont know if the pics will show it clearly.It was a fantastic tasting pie.I love how thin the slices were,and folding it to eat was heaven,even if I had to use a screen.Crust still cooked nicely with it.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:39:37 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
Shut the front door.

Hells bells your making me hungry. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
Bill, the bottom of that one says it all.....EXCELLENT!

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
Bill,

I think a good part of your results might be explained by your high use of salt. 3% salt is high and, at that value, you are going to get a lot of strengthening of the gluten matrix and dough and you will impede the performance of the protease enzymes. Both of these effects will affect the handling characteristics of the dough. To put 3% salt into perspective, it is about between what is recommended by bread experts for bread dough and pizza dough and acrobatic dough (see Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1399.msg13697/topicseen.html#msg13697). 3% salt is also not much less from a saliinity standpoint than sea water (see Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12282.msg116337/topicseen.html#msg116337).

The high salt level can also contribute to increased crust coloration by impeding the performance of the yeast. As a result, the yeast does not use as much of the sugars released by amylase activity, leaving more of the sugar as residual sugar to contribute to crust coloration. This aspect of salt is discussed in the King Arthur article on salt at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/salt.html. Of course, how you bake the pizza, including putting it under the broiler to get more crust coloration through caramelization of sugars, will be a factor in the final results.

For more on salt and how it performs in a dough, see also the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8764.msg75936.html#msg75936.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:19:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.Im always looking to learn new things,make different doughs,and see what the results are.

Peter,thanks for posting that Info.I really did not know much about the salt and the effects.Since I have been making doughs without oil or sugar on a more regular basis than in the past,I'm seeing changes more noticeable than before.

Thats helping me recognize changes in the dough a little more than before.Im not sure if Im mistaken,but it seems like with oil and sugar in the dough,it was masking subtle changes I may have tried to see if anything different would happen,and It did not.

Might just be in my head.
 :-D

Im off to read some links now.Thanks again.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »
Peter,

I have a question to ask.Im going to quote you again from earlier.
Bill,

I think a good part of your results might be explained by your high use of salt. 3% yeast is high and, at that value, you are going to get a lot of strengthening of the gluten matrix and dough and you will impede the performance of the protease enzymes. Both of these effects will affect the handling characteristics of the dough.

I did not use 3% yeast.Were you talking about yeast or salt,or both? I used a 1/4 tsp of yeast for this dough.The salt was at 3%.I went back and read what I wrote and it might look like I meant 3% of yeast,but I wanted to point out it wasn't that high.Just the salt was.

Thanks for your time.

-Bill

-Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:09 AM »
Bill,

I meant 3% salt but erroneously said yeast. I have corrected my earlier post. Thanks for catching my error.

Peter

Offline Moondance

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Bill,

I tried your recipe for last Friday nights pizzas.  I cooked them on my 1/4" steel plate and they were very good.  I used the correct amount of yeast with the 3% salt.  It didn't taste like too much salt.  I may cut back a little anyway.  My husband said don't change the recipe!  Thanks! :pizza:
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
Regina,
Im glad it worked out well for you all! I am still playing around with the salt amounts too.Im not a salt lover,never have been,but wanted to see what the dough and flavors would be if I simply upped it some.

While KABF is my pick,A few more trials with different flours will tell me a little more.I was really amazed the KA AP flour came out as well as it did.A while back I used it and I was not happy with it.That dough had sugar and oil in it that time.Maybe thats why.

The Bouncer and KA BF were close enough,but the Bouncer,since it was HG was more chewier.
Thats typical of that flour though.

Believe it or not,my plans was to try and make some thin Chicago style soon.Its a bit different than NY style and I enjoy it at times.Will continue to keep all posted.

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
Bill, I'm a bit late to the (pizza) party, as I have not been posting or reading the forum much but now I am and I have to say your pies look great.  You seriously made pies that look like they are from wood-fired pizza ovens.  They look great.  Your pies have improved so much since you've been posting here last year.  Great job buddy!  :chef:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
Bill,

Excellent looking pies! Made my mouth water  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the nice replies! Its still a long work in progress,but Im closer to where I want to be taste wise than before.

I did try to cut back the salt on a recent pie and I still liked it a lot at 2%.After a few pies, I think 3% might be a tad bit too salty for my taste buds at times.Still,am very pleased with the results.Just trying new things and sharing the ideas is what its all about.

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Bill, your pies are so good now there is probably no reason for you and your family to go out to get pizza anymore, well, except for an occasional trip to Sbarro.   

My recent pies have turned out pretty good too.  I'll still go out for pizza tho.  If I'm near a Sbarro I will because I still like Sbarro and if I go to one of the other NY pizza places but for the most part mine is up with them.

I recently made a 1.5% salt pie and I liked it better than 2%.  But either way, 2 or 1.5 are good.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
Bill, your pies are so good now there is probably no reason for you and your family to go out to get pizza anymore, well, except for an occasional trip to Sbarro.   

My recent pies have turned out pretty good too.  I'll still go out for pizza tho.  If I'm near a Sbarro I will because I still like Sbarro and if I go to one of the other NY pizza places but for the most part mine is up with them.

I recently made a 1.5% salt pie and I liked it better than 2%.  But either way, 2 or 1.5 are good.

Thanks Bud,and thats great to hear about your experiments turning out great.I understand about the salt usage,different amounts for different folks.Heck I still like dough with no salt in it.Experimenting is key for everyone.

Im still struggling a little bit with Balance though.And with Balance,I mean the amount of sauce,cheese,toppings and etc. to make it all come together.I need to record for myself how much I use makes the difference in the end.I do get lazy and dont bother with it as much as I should.

:-[

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Bill,

Excellent looking pies! Made my mouth water  ;D

Thanks,I appreciate that.I have seen your work many times and you make some really incredible pies!
 8)
-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
Bill, you are so right about the balance because that can make or break a pizza. Sometimes I have it down right and sometimes not.  I need to record my results of my experiments in order to be consistent when I find the right balance.