Author Topic: More Whole Wheat  (Read 1487 times)

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
More Whole Wheat
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
I hadnít made a 100% whole wheat crust in several years.  I thought it would be interesting to make one using my evolved recipe for 80% whole wheat, as follows:  (This is actually only 97% whole wheat, because I forgot to refresh the starter with whole wheat.)  The flour is home-milled hard red spring wheat.

The Soaker:
   127 g whole wheat flour (1 cup)
     89 g room-temp water (3 fl oz)
   3/8 tsp salt
The Levain:
   127 g whole wheat flour (1 cup)
     89 g room-temp water (3 fl oz)      
     30 g active A-P starter at 100% hydration
Final Dough Complement:
              208 g whole wheat flour (1and 5/8 cup)
              193 g room temp water (6.5 fl oz)
       1 tbs oil
   3/4 tsp salt
Total Ingredients:
             462 g whole wheat flour   97%
    15 g all-purpose flour      3%
             386 g water      80.7%
      1 and 1/8 tsp salt     1.3%
      1 tbs oil           2.8%
      About 2 tbs A-P bench flour

Procedure:
   The night before baking, make the soaker and levain and leave them at room temperature.  In the morning, press them together, tear them into small pieces, and add remaining water.  Slowly incorporate another cup of flour.  Slowly incorporate remaining salt, then the oil.  Mix/knead in the remaining flour.  Ferment at room temp over the next 5 hours, executing 4 stretch-and-folds, the last being a hexagon to round.  Proof for 3 more hours.  Stretch and shape to fit 16" perforated pan.  Top.  Bake at 450į for 10 minutes, plus 2 more minutes with oven off.  (The lengthy bake required for this thick pizza means that the bottom would be hard if cooked on tile or stone.)

Results:
   The final dough shaping went well.  There was virtually no stickiness.  It was strong enough to pick up and stretch without breaking.  Final stretch on the pan was easy, with just a little elasticity.   There were no excessively thin spots.

The crumb was slightly less open than my 80% WW crusts.  However the crumb was not dense.  It was not dry or crumbly.  It was moderately chewy.  The exterior of the crust had little crispness.  Perhaps a higher initial baking temp would have made it crisper.

Taste of the crust was very good.  There was no bitterness.  The flavor was complex, wheaty, and very slightly sour. 

Note:
   The above recipe has minimal salt.  For those who donít mind more salt, a higher level might improve the dough rheology and result in a little more rise.  I would also add a little more water in that case.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: More Whole Wheat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:31:44 AM »
You are an inspiration.  Have you any idea how your formulas would perform at high heat in a WFO?  We just got ours up and cooking, and one of my goals is to make crusts with as high % of ww as I can make perform well in there.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: More Whole Wheat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
Robyn,

Thanks.

I've never used a high-temp oven.  I think Villa Roma's oven is high-temp, but it's not a WFO.  I can only recommend reducing, or eliminating, the oil, using a smaller dough ball, and avoiding coarse flour.