Author Topic: Gouda and gruyere cheese  (Read 5136 times)

Offline psilentchild

Gouda and gruyere cheese
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »
Has any body made a pizza using Gouda or Gruyere cheese? I'm looking to make a pepperoni pizza but I want to use or add some other type of cheese besides mozzarella.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Gouda and gruyere cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
Hi,

Gouda, yes. Gruyere no.

Since you have pepperoni on there, it's salty enough. Gruyere only adds to it because it's intense in flavor. Use it for onion soup.  :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:44:18 AM »
I've used gruyere, but it was for a specific pizza (an experimental ham n cheese on rye dough) so I needed a different take on the cheese. As Essen1 noted above, it is salty!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

parallei

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
See:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14578.msg147742.html#msg147742

I used an pretty strong aged gruyere, and if I were to do it again, I'd blend it with some shredded mozz for a better melt.

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
I just read that different cheeses go good on different type pizza. Is there a thread on what type of cheese or cheese blend go with what kind of pizza? Does the same work for sauce?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
I sometimes grate aged Gouda over the top.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
What have you guys combined with gouda? My kids have been on me to buy some smoked gouda for pizza.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »
I'm thinking about mixing mozzarella,gouda,gruyere,asiago and romano cheese on a pepperoni and pineapple pizza.I hope it taste good

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
Think about some crispy bacon, apples, onions and gorgonzola in there....
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:38:20 AM »
I've used Dutch "Best" Gouda from Whole Foods, it's an aged, very deeply-flavored gouda, on a white pizza with sauteed chard and red onion.  That gouda offset the bitter chard well and I would use it again on a strong-flavored pizza. 

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
So would my blend taste ok?

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:03 AM »
Especially considering the pineapple, I would omit the Gruyere.  And depending on how assertive your romano and asiago are, I'd be cautious - both of those can be sharp, pungent cheeses, may want to use moderation there or omit one...  But it's a matter of your taste, too, so maybe that's the flavor profile you're shooting for?

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
I'm new to this.So what blend would you recommend?

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:22 AM »
Mozzarella is the standard, but to go with pepperoni & pineapple, you could add a few different cheeses depending on where you wanted to go.  Ricotta would be a good addition; something rich like cheddar or gouda could be good, a little parmesan or romano or asiago could be nice but stick to one of those, not all  ;D  With pizza toppings, you're always better off limiting the variety and keeping it simple.  Start with mozzarella and one other cheese, then try a different addition, see what you like.  Starting with 5 cheeses is just going to muddle it up, and your original five included a lot of very assertive cheeses that might not play well together.   Hope that helps!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:45 AM »
canadian bacon also goes VERY well with pineapple
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Yeah that helps a lot.I'm going to with mozzarella and Gouda.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
Let us know how it comes out!

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
I made the pizza tonight.I use pepperoni, mozzarella and Asiago for the toppings. Everything tasted good.The only problem I had was the dough.The 1st problem I had was my beer wasn't flat even after being open for three days. I read if you add a pinch of baking powder to it the chemical reaction to it will make it go flat.So thats what I did. The second problem was the dough was too sticky after the bread machine was done. There was no way you could roll it out to make a pizza. I had to add a lot more flower to it just to get it right. My wife loved the sauce and toppings but the dough was OK.

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Has any body made a pizza using Gouda or Gruyere cheese? I'm looking to make a pepperoni pizza but I want to use or add some other type of cheese besides mozzarella.
Just did use young Gruyere this week on a Canadian bacon with capers and very thin sliced elephant garlic.
Big yummer. :chef:
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

pizzapan