Author Topic: Maggio cheese  (Read 2964 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Maggio cheese
« on: June 21, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »
I posted this same question a few months ago, but I have noticed a lot of new members lately so I wanted to give it another try.

I am just wondering if anyone out there lives in an area that sell Maggio brand cheese.  More than ten years ago I did a big shootout of the cheese available in my area and this was my absolute favorite of the bunch by far.  This cheese used to be called axlerod, and had a wider distribution.  I have found reports that many NY/NJ/Philly pizzerias used to use this cheese, or a blend of this cheese and grande.  Now it is called Maggio, and is not sold in my area any more.  I am just wondering if it is still as special as I remember it to be.

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
Re: Maggio cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:26:34 PM »
Just used some Maggio cheese on some pizza last Saturday.  It is distributed by Crowley Foods in Binghamton NY.  I purchased it at an Acme market here in Delaware.  Acme stores are owned by Albertson's and there are quite a few of them around Delaware.  I compared it in it's uncooked form to Grande and Polly-O.
   Grating: Using a hand grater it was in between Grande (easily grated long strands) and the Polly-O (soft and kinda crumbly).
    Flavor:  again in between Grande and Polly-O.  I find Grande to be rather robust with a hint of provolone flavor.  Polly-O tastes rather creamy and fresher but not a lot of depth of flavor.  The Maggio seemed to be right in the middle, somewhat creamier than the Grande with a more pronounced flavor than the Polly-O.
    Melting, cooked qualities etc.:  Can't say because I didn't grate enough of any one to do a whole pie and ended up blending them.

Paid $3.00 for a one pound block.

This is based on the one sample without respect to the age of the individual cheeses so take it for what it's worth.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
Harv, thank you so much.  Sounds just like I remember it.  To me, kind of the best of both worlds between the two top dogs of pizza cheese.  A good place to be.   If I remember correctly it also had the excellent melting characteristics of the grande and a really great resistance to burning.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
Scott,

If you are still interested, here's a pizza I recently made with the Maggio cheese.  The other side is fresh mozz.  I loved the taste of Maggio, it was creamy and easy to shred.  It was  bit greasy, but that might be because I leave my pizza's in a long time to get a well cooked crust.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:12:25 AM »
Damn, I wish I could still get that stuff up here in Boston.

Awesome cheese.  Thanks for the pic.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:42:52 PM »
I can't believe the wonderful people I have met because of this forum.  I am consistently amazed at the selflessness and acts of kindness demonstrated by our members, and today was a big reminder of what a great group we have.   Mike (aka Boy Hits Car)  recently sent me some maggio whole milk cheese to check out because he read here about how much I liked it.  Mark, I just want to thank you so much and I hope to meet you in person next time I am in your area, or if you are visiting Boston.

It has been years since this cheese was sold in my area.  When it was available here it was called Axelrod mozzarella.   I ended up being just a special as I remember it from 15 years ago when I did my first ever mozzarella shootout.  Crazy that I am still here doing them, and especially crazy that this cheese still wins.  I put it up against grande and poly-o whole milk, and in the end I ended up preferring the flavor of the Maggio over the other two.  Grande melted the best, but as usual was not my favorite from a flavor standpoint.   If I could I would use the maggio above all else for NY style pizzas.  If you are lucky enough to have this wonderful cheese in your area make sure you give it a try.

Mike, this will not be forgotten!

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:27:18 PM »
Scott, it was my pleasure.  I'm glad it made the 2-day trip without any adverse effects.  From what I can tell, people seem to respect your opinions on ingredients and I'm glad to hear the Maggio cheese is tops on your list.  Let me know if you'd like some more!

Offline steve cobra

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »
Maggio caught my eye since it's what I like best too.  Was curious how others thought it stacked up and was excited that I wasn't the only one who thought it was great.  Harv your pie looked great, and I live just south of the canal!

Steve

pizzapan