Author Topic: First Attempt - YUM!!!  (Read 15443 times)

Offline pam

Re: First Attempt - YUM!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 07:29:50 PM »
Well, I'm sorry, but I've gotta give this recipe a thumbs down.  Problems:

--the dough never rose in the slightest (my yeast is fine, I just used it a week ago)
--the dough was WAY too wet and sticky, even after I broke with the recipe and added a bunch more semolina flour to try to dry it out a bit
--the taste was bland and cardboardish
--the 500-600g of final dough never came close to filling the pan to a depth of 1.5cm as it was apparently supposed to

Maybe it was just me and the way I prepped it--I'm willing to entertain that notion.  I'm willing to give it one more shot, if someone (either the original poster or someone else) would like to give more detailed instructions.

Candave,

You may have been using the wrong stuff.

The first time I tried making a pie using "semolina flour," I bought the gritty yellow stuff sold as "durum semolina" at Bulk Barn (I used to live in The Big Smoke; that's Toronto to those of you South of the 49th Parallel, eh? :)) instead of durum flour (which looks and feels like AP or Bread flour) and had a similar experience: way too wet and sticky, couldn't dry it out despite adding massive amounts of flour beyond what the recipe called for, didn't rise, bland, etc. Once I figured out my mistake, I tried it again using durum flour: worked like a charm, and tasted frickin' awesome. (Sure wish I could find some place to buy durum flour locally, now that I'm living in the Deep South.)
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 12:09:31 PM »
Now THAT may very well be true.  The package just said "semolina", no mention of flour; and it basically looked like sand, not flour.  I'll see if I can swing by my local Italian grocer and check things out.

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 12:55:46 PM »
Maybe have a look at this: fine semolina flour.

http://www.todarobros.com/detail.aspx?ID=386

Offline pizza king

• Sal's Rules
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »
Though i am newb as most would like to call me in my pizza making experiance I wanted to attempt making Sicilian For the superbowl

Yesterday i started by making the dough very similar recipe to Tom Lehmann NY Style Recipe...I was upset not to be able to find the Seminola file four in whole foods or Trader joes in my Area...or even high protien king Author was the way i went... :'(

So I said the hell with it  and made an ordinary dough recipe... Then greased the panand put the dough in pan and placed it in the fridge over night. The result were outstanding.. one key i made finger prints in the dough before putting it in to the fridge and in the morning as well ... it grew in the pan also a let it grow before i put in the pan...

Then i cooked sauce on it by its self for approx 10 minutes at 550 and then added the cheese ...!!! It should be attempt without following that complex seminola recipe..make sure to grease the pan with olive oil ..

pizzapan