Author Topic: Any New Ideas?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Any New Ideas?
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »
Tom,

I posted about being a vendor at a Arts & Craft Show this weekend, and now having to get a generator for electric at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15292.msg151320.html#msg151320 

Do you have any other ideas for fried dough for products I could sell, or additional toppings?  I could imagine putting something inside of the dough would make a good product and then frying it, but am worried about messing up the frying oil, if somehow the dough comes apart when frying.

I also wanted to know if you would recommend just using the regular Lehmann dough and if you would, at what hydration should I try?

I would appreciate if you had some other ideas for me to try.

Thanks!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Any New Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
Norma;
You should be able to make pizzas on a fried crust (think Indian Bread), like is sold at Arizona and New Mexico festivities. You could also roll the dough out very thin, cut into squares and fry. After frying, dust with a cinnamon sugar mixture and serve. You might also try making something like a fried breadstick, and roll it in a cinnamon sugar mixture after baking, or serve it with a small plastic cup of cinnamon sugar dipping icing (powdered sugar and water plus a little cinnamon). Here is one that might be a bit far out on the limb; Push a wood Popsicle stick into a length of Italian sausage (kept hot in your heated cabinet) then wrap it in pizza dough, and fry it like a corn dog, serve with a plastic cup if pizza sauce for dipping.
Note: Some of these items will probably need to be fried submerged, so be sure to have a submerging screen handy when you're testing these out.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
You could make mini fried calazones. Take little circles of dough, put in a slice of pepperoni, a small piece of mozz and a dollop of sauce and close it up and fry. Serve with extra sauce on the side. You could do several flavors. You could do the exact same thing and also slip in a piece of jalapeno for a spicy version. You could do peanut butter and jelly or a nutella version. How about somores with marshmellow, chocolate, and graham cracker inside? Broccoli and cheese? (I'd blanche the broccoli first). Natcho (cheese, jalapeno, and tomato maybe?) Mushroom and cheese? Fried ice cream?

If you have a batter made, there is always the usual suspects: fried Orieos, twinkies, candy bars (cut into bite sized pieces), jalapeno slices (good with ranch dressing), pickle slices, cookie dough, etc. 

I wouldn't worry about messing up the oil if something spills out. As long as you don't fry any seafood in your oil, I would think you'll be OK.

You might visit http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/ for more inspiration

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
Norma;
You should be able to make pizzas on a fried crust (think Indian Bread), like is sold at Arizona and New Mexico festivities. You could also roll the dough out very thin, cut into squares and fry. After frying, dust with a cinnamon sugar mixture and serve. You might also try making something like a fried breadstick, and roll it in a cinnamon sugar mixture after baking, or serve it with a small plastic cup of cinnamon sugar dipping icing (powdered sugar and water plus a little cinnamon). Here is one that might be a bit far out on the limb; Push a wood Popsicle stick into a length of Italian sausage (kept hot in your heated cabinet) then wrap it in pizza dough, and fry it like a corn dog, serve with a plastic cup if pizza sauce for dipping.
Note: Some of these items will probably need to be fried submerged, so be sure to have a submerging screen handy when you're testing these out.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

Thanks for your ideas of what to try out with fried dough.  I can understand some of the items might need to be fried submerged because I did make fried items at my other food stand I had before the pizza stand.  I just didn’t use regular pizza dough before, but more like a funnel cake batter, but thicker.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:49 PM »
You could make mini fried calazones. Take little circles of dough, put in a slice of pepperoni, a small piece of mozz and a dollop of sauce and close it up and fry. Serve with extra sauce on the side. You could do several flavors. You could do the exact same thing and also slip in a piece of jalapeno for a spicy version. You could do peanut butter and jelly or a nutella version. How about somores with marshmellow, chocolate, and graham cracker inside? Broccoli and cheese? (I'd blanche the broccoli first). Natcho (cheese, jalapeno, and tomato maybe?) Mushroom and cheese? Fried ice cream?

If you have a batter made, there is always the usual suspects: fried Orieos, twinkies, candy bars (cut into bite sized pieces), jalapeno slices (good with ranch dressing), pickle slices, cookie dough, etc. 

I wouldn't worry about messing up the oil if something spills out. As long as you don't fry any seafood in your oil, I would think you'll be OK.

You might visit http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/ for more inspiration

CL

Craig
I like the fried clazone ideas. I did make fried Oreos, Twinkies, and some candy bars before at my other food stand.  I think I will just try out things made with dough this time.  Trying to do too many things, would be a lot of work.

Thanks for telling me you wouldn’t worry about messing up the oil if something spills out.  The link you provided sure looks like it is fancy.  I think I will stick to a few simple things to see if they work out.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:55:39 AM »
Norma

Sambusa's. Spicy, curry, a bit of heat, garlic and as many recipes as there are those that make them and VERY adicting. Doughs can be of a pizza in nature or those egg roll wrappers. Many of the ethnic people I work with make them as do I. Here's one link with a couple recipes, as I said many others and some youtube videos of them too. Sour cream, yogurt sauces etc for dipping is also great. I use a spray bottle of just plain water to spray the edges to help keep things stuck up good.
Jon

http://www.squidoo.com/sambusa
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
Norma

Sambusa's. Spicy, curry, a bit of heat, garlic and as many recipes as there are those that make them and VERY adicting. Doughs can be of a pizza in nature or those egg roll wrappers. Many of the ethnic people I work with make them as do I. Here's one link with a couple recipes, as I said many others and some youtube videos of them too. Sour cream, yogurt sauces etc for dipping is also great. I use a spray bottle of just plain water to spray the edges to help keep things stuck up good.
Jon

http://www.squidoo.com/sambusa

Jon,

I never heard of Sambusa’s before, but they do sound very tasty.  If I have time I will try out some Sambusa’s recipes in the next few days.  They do sound very easy and delicious!

Thanks so much for the good idea, and the link.  :)

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »
A Somali fellow I work with, Abdi, brought some in to work one nite several years ago, I made them 2 days later, just love them. Very popular thru the middle east and Africa.

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
Norma, don't forget the Italian doughnuts from Varasano's.  Fourth picture down.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12718.0.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
Norma, don't forget the Italian doughnuts from Varasano's.  Fourth picture down.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12718.0.html

Gene,

Great find!  ;D  I forgot about those Italian doughnuts from Varasano's.  They sure do look delicious!  :P

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
If anyone is interested in knowing what is going on with me going to the Arts and Craft’s event at market, I posted the reply here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15292.msg151764.html#msg151764

Norma

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
Norma here's a pizza fritta that's a little bit different from what we get at the usual fairs. Good for the left over dough in the morning, next day.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/fried-pizza-fritta

pat

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
Norma here's a pizza fritta that's a little bit different from what we get at the usual fairs. Good for the left over dough in the morning, next day.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/fried-pizza-fritta

pat

Pat,

Thanks for the link about the pizza frittas.  :) I did make some pizza frittas today.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
If anyone is interested, this is what I sold today at the Art and Craft Festival at market.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15292.msg151855.html#msg151855

Norma

pizzapan