Author Topic: King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour  (Read 7530 times)

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour
« on: June 22, 2005, 01:54:49 PM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST PLACE TO BUY KING ARTHUR'S SIR LANCELOT FLOUR.................I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT...........I LIVE IN LONG BEACH CALIFORNIA................

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
Tony,

It is highly unlikely that you will find the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour at the retail level.

Many of the members buy the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour directly from King Arthur (see http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item3332.html). However, because of high shipping costs, some members have been buying the KASL at lower prices (per pound) at other places, including places that sell in bulk and also from foodservice companies and their customers. You may want to take a look at this thread for some ideas: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1140.0.html. I believe Amazon also sells the flour but you will want to check into final cost (product plus shipping) before considering them.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 02:26:02 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO..........I MAY JUST BITE THE BULLET AND PAY THE SHIPPING FOR THE 5 POUND BAG..............I'M JUST EXPERIMENTING RIGHT NOW AND DON'T NEED 50 POUNDS OF FLOUR...................

TONY

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »
tony, make sure you check the shipping charges when you add extra bags to the order.  For where I live, the first bag is really expensive, and then after that adding additional bags costs me almost nothing.  King Arthur just stopped selling sir lancelot in 5 pound bags, and now only ships 3 or 50!  I really think you are going to wish you had more of this stuff than you think.  If I were you I would buy 6 3 pound bags.  I am pretty sure the shipping will not be much more for 6 bags than if you order 2. You are going to love this flour!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 05:21:31 PM »
One test that I have not tried yet is to see if a mix say 50-50 0f high gluten and bread flour could be used and not reduce the flavor?  Might save a few dollars if the budget is tight,

Randy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 06:22:20 PM »
Randy,

That's an interesting idea.

If King Arthur provided more information on its flours, we could almost predict what would happen by combining the KA bread flour and the KASL in the ratio you suggested. KA provides a detailed spec sheet for the KASL but I haven't been able to find one for the KA bread flour. But I believe both are made from hard spring wheat. The KASL has a protein content of 14.2%, which is higher than almost all high-gluten flours, and the KA bread flour has a protein content of 12.7%. I would bet that the differences between the two flours beyond protein content are not all that great. If that is true, then a 50/50 mix of the two flours would have a protein content of 13.45%. That's about what several high-gluten flours have as protein content. Tom Lehmann recommends 13.5-14% or more for his NY style dough recipe. So, the mix you suggest would work.

Moreover, I have made the Lehmann recipe with KA bread flour and it makes a good pizza. Using the two flours should be even better and not far from using only the KASL. Maybe someone can give your suggestion a try.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 01:46:46 AM »
You guys have hit on something very similar to what one of the better pizzerias in Boston does.  New York Pizza on Mass Ave. uses a blend of bread and high gluten flour, but I think they favor the  bread flour in the mix. They keep their stack of four bags in view, and there are always more of the bread flour bags in the pile.   They have a mix similar to what Dom does at di Fara's with using just a little high gluten for the char.  The dough at NY pizza is really tasty!   The problem with this place is that sometimes they use their dough too late, but when you get a good pie........OH YAAH!

Offline Sour_Jax

• You've been weighed, measured and found kneading.
    • SourJax Creations Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 06:48:19 PM »
I live in North Carolina and happen to be looking for flour for this weekend's pizza experiment and found a rather suprisingly large selection of King Arthur Flour products at Ingles.
The best things in life are free! Salvation being the greatest!

Give a man a pizza, he'll be happy for a day.
Teach him to make pizza, he'll be happy for a lifetime.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline bcoots76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 11:24:39 PM »
There's a place in Northern IL that sells it. It sells for I think $0.42 a pound. I ordered 20 lbs. and it came to about $20.00 total including shipping. Here's the website.

http://josasoldcountrystore.goemerchant7.com/

Offline JimBob

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 07:50:24 AM »
There's a place in Northern IL that sells it. It sells for I think $0.42 a pound. I ordered 20 lbs. and it came to about $20.00 total including shipping. Here's the website.

http://josasoldcountrystore.goemerchant7.com/

This site has very good prices, thanks for the link!!!  :)
JimBob

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
Sour_Jax,

You must live in or near the mountains?

Chris

Offline Sour_Jax

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:03:25 PM »
Actually I'm surrounded, I live about 30 miles from Asheville.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »
Cool Dude,

I live in Raleigh but I go to Asheville about once a month or so. Next time will be Bele Chere. Will you be there?

For those of you that live in NC or near NC check out "Belechere.com" It is a big festival held in Asheville (Which is a beautiful town in the mountains) every year with probally 100 bands lots of people and very kid friendly. And it is all FREE.

Chris

Offline Sour_Jax

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 03:12:18 PM »
I'm not sure if I'll be able to go or not, I would like to that have alot of different microbrewerys there.

I do recommend going, to anybody that has a chance though.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline JimBob

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 03:14:18 PM »
Cool Dude,

I live in Raleigh but I go to Asheville about once a month or so. Next time will be Bele Chere. Will you be there?

For those of you that live in NC or near NC check out "Belechere.com" It is a big festival held in Asheville (Which is a beautiful town in the mountains) every year with probally 100 bands lots of people and very kid friendly. And it is all FREE.

Chris

I'll be in the Hickory area the week after next.  Ashville is just down hwy. 40, when is the festival?
JimBob

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 03:25:04 PM »
Yea, there is some pretty good beer there. And the town is great. If I wasnt such a beach person I would move there.

JimBob,

It is the last weekend in July every year. Friday at 12 noon untill Sunday at 12 ( I think ). On Friday and Saturday you buy a wrist band and buy Adult drinks (all day  ;)and walk around all day listening to music and checking out all kind of hand made stuff, art, clothers, all kinds of stuff.

Offline JimBob

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »
I lived in Hickory for 7 years and never knew that festival existed...  ???
JimBob

Offline pizzaqueen

• I Love to Ship to Pizza Makers!!!!
    • Pennsylvania Macaroni Co.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 02:51:56 PM »
At Penn Mac, we sell General Mills All Trump Flour. I would like to know if the flour we sell is comparable to the King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flour that is the topic of this post. I would recommend viewing the product specifications at this website. http://www.gmiflour.com/gmflour/Flour_SpecSheet/AllTrumpsUnbl%20Brom50121.doc
rose
Pizza Queen Jr.

Offline rolandrog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »

Offline rolandrog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

pizzapan