Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizzaiolo Training  (Read 6935 times)

Offline pmikal

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan Pizzaiolo Training
« on: June 22, 2005, 08:42:11 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences to share about Neapolitan pizzaiolo training? I know the VPN offers classes in the USA and Italy. James has also recommended Enzo Coccia's Pizza Consulting (http://www.pizzaconsulting.it/inglese/index_e.htm).

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Regards,

Philip

Offline stevie-g

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizzaiolo Training
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
Hello All!

I am new to this forum.

I am currently working in eastern europe. My job assignment will end in Febuary, and my company will post date my plane ticket back to the states. So, basically I have a free ride to Italy. I want to take a month or two and learn the "true art" of making pizza. I have done some research and am considering a 4 week course in Rome. I would really like to go to Naples and possibly complete a VPN course. I am not sure what the best choice is....

My whole purpose for working in eastern europe was to bank enough money to start my own small business. I worked in a pizza place in New Jersey many years ago (15!). I am thinking about the southeast or southwest.

Any ideas would help!

Steve

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
http://www.pizzaconsulting.it/inglese/index_e.htm
I have heard good things about enzo and his classes.  He trains in Naples Italy.

Of course the best thing to do would be to convince Pizzanapoleta (marco) , a member of our forum to come over here to the US to train you in your location.  Definitely contact him about his oven and services before you do anything.

Offline shango

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:43:02 PM »
I could show you for a small fee.. >:D :pizza: :chef: 
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »
Forget the publicised training classes. I received bad feedback on the VPN America course once again (see my previous post).  There is not interest in these guys in seeing you off making good pizza. 1 week making pizza without  other teaching on how to repeat good results day in day out, is useless.

My consulting training is different, but I am fully booked until Sept 07 ;-)

The ideal thing is to go in Naples, talk to a pizzeria (good one) pay them x amount of money you deam sufficient, and ask them if you can work alongside them for a week or more (ideally 2-3). The money should cover also the wastage you'll cause... It will be very difficult to find a place willing to do that, but it is worth the try. It will be cheaper then a course and surely you know that they are not trying a scam.... At the very least you may be able to learn something that will make you able to do a good version of the STG document as reported few times on this site (peeteza help in finding the necessary links)

Check www.forno-napoletano.it once you are ready to go and want to order an Oven, mixer and other equipment.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:30:17 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:33:35 PM »
Marco,

Is this the document (VPN 2004 Declaration) that you are referring to: http://gazzette.comune.jesi.an.it/2004/120/gazzetta120.htm?

A translation of that document was provided by one of our members at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1235.msg11067.html#msg11067, although you indicated in a subsequent post that the document wasn’t properly translated. I subsequently found another translation here: http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html.

Peter

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:45:51 AM »
Peter,

I was referring to this document http://www.pizza.it/articolo.asp?ID=33, that although sponsored by VPN and APN and a lot of other involvemnet in it and it is officialy published by the Italian Agricoltural Ministry with approval of the EU. It is agood guideline, but make no mistake, is not to be taken as the ultimate recipe, as I said many times, that do not exist.

I don't think that the translation on the forno bravo website is 100% accurate, but is a good start.

Ciao

Offline stevie-g

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »
Well I have received a response from Enzo Coccia's Pizza training. He says a "class" will start in January.

My situation is a little strange because I'm in eastern-europe working a project. I can't leave untill it's done, most likely Febuary or April. It could go all they way to Aug. (the longer the better, I am banking some good tax free money  ;D ). Whenever it ends I can take off for Italy. I would like to take a good 4-6 week pizza course and then possibly take your' advice and pay a small amount and work in a pizzeria for 2-4 weeks.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am kinda in limbo waiting to see when my job ends so I can make firm plans.

Steve

PS. I have researched the Course offered in california by VPN. It doesn't look like a proffessional cooking course, more   of a hobby type approach.

Offline stevie-g

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:30:04 PM »
Ok...

My final options look like:

1. Ennzos course in Naples (5 weeks) (approx. 1200 Euro). He has good comments from this site.

2. Pizza Course in Rome (4 week) 1200 Euro. Has good comments from a site I found (in Italian).

3. I found information on a 5 month course in Naples. 6500 Euro. Do not know much about it. It is an Italian Language/ "Proffesional" pizza making course. It's 105 hours classroom pizza course followed by 240 hours ex-ternship working in a Pizzeria in Naples. It is also 320 hours of Italian language classes. I have not heard any feedback on this program. I have the time, but it is a little pricey.

what do you guys think??

I am leaning toward Ennzo's course, but the 5 month deal of "working" in a real Naples Pizzeria sounds pretty good.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »
I think you are making the right choice going to Napoli.  If you have the time and money I do not see any reason to take a course here in the States or in Rome.  I took Enzo's course and looking back at it a year or so later, I think it was even better than I thought at the time.  I remember thinking at the time that we were spending way to much time on making the dough (most of the first two weeks).  I had the typical American attitude that dough was just a simple recipe that you follow each day and that a monkey should be able to do it.  Now I am seeing the benifits of the time we spent on making and changing the dough each day.
I'm sure about any course you find in Napoli would be worthwhile.  The 5 month one sounds very interesting if you had the time.
All that being said, I think you will find that when you are finished with the course that pizza making in the authentic Napoletana tradition is an art and cannot be truly learned in a 5 week or 5 month course.  I have now been doing it for just over a year and still feel like a baby sometimes.  These people take years to learn their craft and are truly artists.

Offline shango

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 10:47:43 PM »
I have been making pizza in a certified DOC pizzeria for the last 5 years and "neapolitan style :-[ " professionally  for 10 years before that...before woodstone was a household word....

anyway, I am still learning and today I am just as excited about pizza as I was in '92...

uh..I hope that is useful

Eat your pizza,
-E!
pizza, pizza, pizza