Author Topic: Looking for a puffy crust  (Read 3371 times)

Offline etheil

Re: Looking for a puffy crust
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
I have a couple of suggestions as well. For the flavor, try doing a room temp fermentation. You'll need to experiment with the yeast amount, but at 70 degrees, try using .12% instant yeast. This should allow you about 12 to 15 hours of fermentation before balling the dough. From there, you can ball and then refrigerate until ready to use. For your 500 grams of flour, that would only be .6 grams which works out to less than an eighth of a teaspoon (I think an eighth of a teaspoon is .8 grams.)

Also, make sure to hand stretch the dough ball when creating your skin. The idea is to push the air from the center of the dough to the outside edges. Use the flat part of your fingers to initially press the dough out and then you can begin using the palm of your hand to guide the air to the edge. If you hear popping going on when pressing out the dough, your losing those air pockets which would otherwise provide you with an airier crust.

One last suggestion is to back off on the water a bit. A wetter dough can work very well in a hotter oven and when baking bread, but in this case, the dough might have trouble browning because it takes a little longer to heat up and bake with the increased moisture. If you're using KASL or even the GM Better for Bread flour (makes a great pizza crust) try a hydration level in the 61-63% range. You have to find out what works best in your oven. You want to make sure the crust and toppings are finishing at the same time. As you increase the water, you sometimes end up with an under baked crust, but perfectly baked toppings or the reverse of that with over baked toppings and perfectly baked crust.

Good luck!

Eric

Offline ZioLorenzo

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
Thanx, next batch of  doigh I will try that with the yeast.

I have dough in the fridge so pizza is on the menu for dinner :)

About stretchinv the dough out, a week ago I saw a video about pushing the air bubbles to the edge, I did it last time and it worked great

I do have  a problem with the crust Browning, I figured 550 isn't hot enough ? Also I'm trying two stones tonight one  on the boyyom rack the other in the middle rack and hoping to get some reflective  heat.

Offline ZioLorenzo

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
OK so pizza tonight wasnt good, First time with higher heat.
the bottom burnt before the top browned.

The stone temp was 780 on my IR gun when I threw the pie in, the 2 stones preheated for about 1.5 hours

2 stones in the oven, I Had one stone on the bottom rack and one on the middle rack ( heat source bottom burner)

placed pizza on bottom stone, in 2  min the bottom was burnt :( I put the stone in the middle hoping for some reflective heat to brown the crust but no luck

any suggestions

I tried to post the pics but it said the fles were too large

Offline alex_chef2000

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
OK so pizza tonight wasnt good, First time with higher heat.
the bottom burnt before the top browned.

The stone temp was 780 on my IR gun when I threw the pie in, the 2 stones preheated for about 1.5 hours

2 stones in the oven, I Had one stone on the bottom rack and one on the middle rack ( heat source bottom burner)

placed pizza on bottom stone, in 2  min the bottom was burnt :( I put the stone in the middle hoping for some reflective heat to brown the crust but no luck

any suggestions

I tried to post the pics but it said the fles were too large

IMO just try to use a cast iron, like three of four weeks ago I made a pizza class for children, we baked that night around 20 pizzas, we use all kinds of devices, you name it; we used it.  The best results with a home oven ( not modified ) was the cast iron pizzas, many of the parents are searching for cast irons after that day, they ask me where to buy one.  
I bought mine in Vegas many years ago, I was traveling in my honey moon and I found a cast iron for pizza, after using cast iron, my only next option is to build a WFO. I also have some pizza stones (like 4) that I use for breads.

When baking with cast iron, I put it at the center of the oven and I alternate between baking and broiling.  I used to bake it at the top but it burns too fast, now I prefer to have more control baking at the center of the oven, the crust is perfect for me that way.

Good luck in your next baking.

My culinary regards,

Alex.: :chef:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:09:55 PM by alex_chef2000 »

Offline MO_Pie

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I'm using the Varasano site as inspiration.... but I don't have very good results.  I'm using a big green egg to cook my pies in and usually throw them on when stone is at 670' ish.  There's little spring in the dough.  Last night I got the pie closer to the top of the egg (ceramic BBQ cooker) and it was browing the tops nicely, but they were still tough.  I am trying to use high hydration dough, so that comment above I'll try out to see if it works better.

Starter Separate       
Ingredient    Grams    Bakers %   Total %
Flour           985.34              100.00%   58.65%
Water             670.03          68.00%    39.88%
Starter    -                               0.00%   0.00%
IDY              2.46                   0.25%               0.15%
Salt              22.17                 2.25%   1.32%
             1,680.00       100.00%

pizzapan