Author Topic: VINCEN'TS PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA  (Read 10008 times)

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
VINCEN'TS PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA
« on: June 23, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »
THE BEST PIE I'VE EVER EATEN BY FAR IS VINCENT'S PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA.  IT IS A VERY THICK CRUST LIKE ALMOST 2 INCHES, (WHICH I THINK MAKES THE PIZZA).  THEY DON'T USE A BOX (TOO BIG)........THEY PUT IT ON A PIECE OF CARDBOARD AND STAPLE WHITE PAPER OVER IT.  HEY FLOUR IS CHEAP.  THE MIDDLE IS VERY THIN, SO YOU DON'T GET THAT GUMMY UNCOOKED TASTE.  HARDLY ANY SAUCE AND LOTS OF TOPPING..............YUM.....I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF FLOUR THEY USE...................

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: VINCEN'TS PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
I'd kill to know what type of cheese they use.  This pizza is totally out of this world.  Any chance of you jumping in a dumpster for us?  I have been trying to duplicate their pizza for 15 years.  Just recently I am starting to get close.

Another member has told us that they use some molasses in the dough.  In some of my recent experiments I tried using 1% molasses, and at first I thought that was the perfect amount.  As I made more pizzas from that batch I started to realize that I had used a bit too much.  I would try .75 percent.  I also suspect that a sponge is used.  The dough seems to have extra flavor in it, almost as if it has a culture to leaven it.  After experimenting with the sourdo.com cultures, I have started to realize that it must be a sponge instead.  This is because the extra flavor seems to be a yeasty flavor.  I have tried using lots of yeast, and this is not it.  More and more this is pointing to the use of a sponge.

Also, they have told me that they mix in a provolone with the mozzarella.  This will get you closer (about 30% provolone), but Still after trying every brand of cheese that I can find (including everything foodservice oriented I can find) I am still on the hunt for the cheese brand.   I know it is from Wisconsin.   They tell me that sometimes it shows up with a soupy consistency.
Good luck, and don't give up.  You can do it at home, I guarantee.  As far as flour goes, Try some All Trumps, or King Arthur flour, and they will start to get you closer to the flavor.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
IF YOU COULD DUPLICAT THE CRUST YOU WOULD BE 75% THERE...........................I USE TO WATCH HIM MAKE THOSE PIES.........THERE WOULD BE A HUGE MASS OF DOUGH ON COUNTER THEN HE WOULD CUT A PIECE OFF AND TOSS IT ......AND I KNOW HE USES A LATEL FULL OF OLIVE OIL, THEN THE SAUCE, THEN HE WOULD THROW ON THE TOPPING...........AND THE KEY IS THE CRUST................

TONY

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 02:49:48 PM »
Tony, I agree that is crust is really something very special.  I wish everyone on the forum could have a taste of some Pittsburgh pizza.  Thanks for another piece of the puzzle.  Interesting, he keeps his dough together for a bulk rise instead of portioning it out ahead of time.  I have found from experimenting with things I have learned on this forum that minute details about dough processing can really effect the final crust texture and flavor.

Does anyone know what type of an effect this procedure could have on the final outcome of the crust?  I know that Marco has said that part of the reason for the leoparding of Neapolitan doughs is the long bulk rise.  His dough's also have the most amazing flavor of any I have made.  I am assuming that the bulk rise gives the culture time to work its way evenly throughout the dough, but for now I am going to assume that Vincents is not using a culture.  Are there any other reasons to do this with a commercial yeast based dough? Maybe I am just reading too far into this, and Vinny is just too lazy to portion out the dough!  That would be funny.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:43:04 PM »
SCOTT,

I AGREE, I THINK A BULK RISE WAS JUST FOR CONVIENCE, THE SIZE OF YOUR PIE WOULD DEPEND ON VINNY'S MOOD THAT DAY.   ANOTHER CLUE IS THAT THE CRUST IS VERY COARSE, AND HAS VERY LARGE AIR POCKETS IN IT.

TONY

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
I think it is a dough management issue more than anything else. I also suspect, and either you, scott, or tony, may know whether Vinny's dough is a same-day, room-temperature dough or a refrigerated dough. The bulk processing of dough lends itself better to a same-day room-temperature fermented dough, especially where there is a high daily turnover and the dough moves fast. Dividing and scaling dough is often done as a matter of necessity where a refrigerated dough is involved, because it is harder to refrigerate a dough in bulk and small dough balls cool down faster than a bulk dough. Plus the smaller dough balls are ready to roll for the next day's lunch crowd. In a home setting, you can go either way for a small dough batch, although even there individual dough balls may be easier to handle in a refrigerated dough situation.

Peter

Offline nttone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:18:14 PM »
THE BEST PIE I'VE EVER EATEN BY FAR IS VINCENT'S PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA.  IT IS A VERY THICK CRUST LIKE ALMOST 2 INCHES, (WHICH I THINK MAKES THE PIZZA).  THEY DON'T USE A BOX (TOO BIG)........THEY PUT IT ON A PIECE OF CARDBOARD AND STAPLE WHITE PAPER OVER IT.  HEY FLOUR IS CHEAP.  THE MIDDLE IS VERY THIN, SO YOU DON'T GET THAT GUMMY UNCOOKED TASTE.  HARDLY ANY SAUCE AND LOTS OF TOPPING..............YUM.....I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF FLOUR THEY USE...................

I know I'm digging up an old post here, but I just got back from a trip to Pittsburgh recently and had my first experience with the "Vinny Pie". First off, lots of topping is right, when it was all said and done they were piled up higher than the edge of the crust (2 inches would probably not be an exaggeration either). The crust had good chew, I'm a fan of NY style so I like to have to pull at it a bit with my teeth, and got rather crispy at the edge (rind or ridge? I don't know it there's a term for that part of the pie.). The sauce was great as well, just enough on there to make it all fall into place. Sizing on a medium was 16", two of which easily fed all 6 of us with some to take home. The large is 20" which is simply insane  >:D Easily one of the top 3 pies I've ever eaten, between that and the Primanti's sandwich I'm thinking of relocating!  :P

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:29 AM »
Ok I'm in Lanc PA and I'm 3.5 hrs away from Pittsburg via the PA turnpike all the way. I'm thinking of getting on the Harley and going out for some vinny pie. Anybody have a addy for vinny pizza, so I can plug it into the Garmin? Thanks, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:57 AM »
Vincent's Pizza Park
998 Ardmore Blvd, Pittsburgh - (412) 271-9181

Vincent's Pizza
2101 Greentree Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15220-1400
Phone: (412) 429-8888

Not sure which one you need?Here is a review for Vincent's Pizza Park .

"The Food
Portions are huge. It's amazing that the pie pan manages to contain two-inches of thick crust, bubbling cheese, and fresh toppings. More dough than anything, this pizza is a bread-lovers dream. Vincent's ladles just enough of the red stuff to moisten the crust and add a hint of tangy flavor before sprinkling with stringy cheese. And although it's possible the banter between the owner and the waitress is dryly amicable, it seems unlikely. This pie-shop is not in the service industry, so takeout's the call here."

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:27:15 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
My brother and I eat in all the time.  I love the old school "pizza park" ambiance and have never noticed any grumpy servers etc.  This is a NY style pizza on steroids.  Many descriptions make it sound like a sicilian or a deep dish type, but it is hand spun and tossed, just with lots and lots of everything.  Cheese and toppings are piled on.  The original ardmore av. location is where I head when I go back to visit da burgh, but rumor is that even the newer locations have the same "made by a crazy person" pizza.  Expect lots of character, chunks of charred drippings from the pies made earlier in the day and the best pepperoni that seems like it was chopped by a madman with a cleaver. 

To enjoy the true ying and yang of the pittsburgh pizza scene head to Il Pizzaiolo in Mt. Lebanon for the polar opposite of Vincents. I can't visit home without hitting both of these fine pizzerias. Extra thin crust, san marzano tomatoes, and highest quality toppings available.  Pizza so light you could eat all day, and the best of the best neapolitan style in the country.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »
Tony, I agree that is crust is really something very special.  I wish everyone on the forum could have a taste of some Pittsburgh pizza.  Thanks for another piece of the puzzle.  Interesting, he keeps his dough together for a bulk rise instead of portioning it out ahead of time.  I have found from experimenting with things I have learned on this forum that minute details about dough processing can really effect the final crust texture and flavor.

Does anyone know what type of an effect this procedure could have on the final outcome of the crust?  I know that Marco has said that part of the reason for the leoparding of Neapolitan doughs is the long bulk rise.  His dough's also have the most amazing flavor of any I have made.  I am assuming that the bulk rise gives the culture time to work its way evenly throughout the dough, but for now I am going to assume that Vincents is not using a culture.  Are there any other reasons to do this with a commercial yeast based dough? Maybe I am just reading too far into this, and Vinny is just too lazy to portion out the dough!  That would be funny.

You might want to try Scamorza cheese.  It's made from the same curd as Mozzarella and Provolone and is kind of a hybrid between the two.  Cappiello makes a great scamorza.  You can get it imported from Italy as well. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:45:22 PM »
Thanks Ben.  I did end up finding out what they use, it is a blend of cheeses.  Thanks for the tip about the scamorza.  I have noticed that some scamorza is much denser and less wet than others, not sure why there is such a difference between brands, but it is good stuff!

Offline nttone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »
Ok I'm in Lanc PA and I'm 3.5 hrs away from Pittsburg via the PA turnpike all the way. I'm thinking of getting on the Harley and going out for some vinny pie. Anybody have a addy for vinny pizza, so I can plug it into the Garmin? Thanks, Bryan

If you're coming in from Lancaster, you're probably closer to the one in Irwin.

8871 Route 30
Irwin, PA

Take the Irwin exit off of the turnpike, and bear west on 30. Shouldn't be more than a mile or two up the road on the right. It sits right in front of a Giant Eagle grocery. Same one I ate at coincidentally  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:45:36 PM by nttone »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »
Thanks to those who posted the info for me.  8) I'm going to see if I can get a couple of Buds together for a nice ride out to Pittsburg for some pie at Vinny's. Fig I can get 2 or 3 other riders to go out with me while the weather is still nice. Anybody want to meet up and eat some pie with us? Also I want to eat at Il Pizzaiolo in Mt. Lebanon. Scott you have a addy for me? Anybody  that comes the pizza is on me.  ;D Also anybody know the days and hours of operation of both places? That would be a big help. Thanks much, Bryan  :pizza:

Offline Furo

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »
Byan,
Does your cycle have a trailer? Since your going to the "burgh" head down to the strip district and stock up. you won't be disappointed by the selctions at Penn Mac, Parma Sausage, or Wholey's. You will need a cooler for some of the great stuff! The whole area is foodies heaven!
Woody.
P.S.: The wife says  "YEA STEELERS!!!" (She is from Elizabeth, just south of Pittsburgh).
Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline nttone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
Thanks to those who posted the info for me.  8) I'm going to see if I can get a couple of Buds together for a nice ride out to Pittsburg for some pie at Vinny's. Fig I can get 2 or 3 other riders to go out with me while the weather is still nice. Anybody want to meet up and eat some pie with us? Also I want to eat at Il Pizzaiolo in Mt. Lebanon. Scott you have a addy for me? Anybody  that comes the pizza is on me.  ;D Also anybody know the days and hours of operation of both places? That would be a big help. Thanks much, Bryan  :pizza:

Did you ever make it out that way?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
Bryan S, sorry I missed this.  These links have all the info you will need including phone numbers.

Pizzaiolo: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8624468/    If you have room try a pasta dish.  Ron makes the best pasta and neapolitan pizza I have ever found anywhere, and we have some good italian food in Boston's north end!

Vincents: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8618311

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
Bryan S, sorry I missed this.  These links have all the info you will need including phone numbers.

Pizzaiolo: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8624468/    If you have room try a pasta dish.  Ron makes the best pasta and neapolitan pizza I have ever found anywhere, and we have some good italian food in Boston's north end!

Vincents: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8618311

Thanks Bud. I didn't make it out there yet, was working 7 days a week last year. Things have slowed down now and Spring is just around the corner so........  ;D

Offline sanchez

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
So I tackled Ill Pizeola last year and now it's time to try Vincents. 

I'll be in the burgh tomorrow and plan on stopping by to get some lunch.  I noticed on a google search that there are multiple vincents in the Pittsburgh area.  I've got some business downtown and will also be in the strip to pickup a few things from Penn Mac.

Should I just go to one of the vincents in the downtown area or do I really need to drive out to Ardmore?  Also, does anyone have a clue what time they are open on saturdays?

Thanks.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 12:57:44 AM »
Although my instincts tell me to stick to the original on ardmore blvd, my brother claims that the other pizzamakers seem to be just as insane as Vincent and therefore produce similar EXTREEM pizzas.  You will see what I mean after tomorrow!