Author Topic: VINCEN'TS PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA  (Read 10284 times)

Offline sanchez

Re: VINCEN'TS PIZZA IN PITTSBURGH PA
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 08:26:07 AM »
Are we strictly talking about "Vincents Pizza Park" locations or is Vincents Pizza and Pasta Pub the same thing?

Also, I notied on a website that the Pizza Park location said it didn't open until 4pm on saturday.  If so that might screw up my plans. :(

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »
Vincent's Pizza Park in Forest Hills, Plum, and Irwin are the only ones I know about, but you should call the original Ardmore ave. location and check about the authenticity of all the locations.  I know there was someone making copy cat pies that was also calling themselves Vincent's and their pizza was inferior. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
If the hours at Vincent's are not good for you you could just hit Il Pizzaiolo for the best Italian food I know of and get a slice of Mineo's Pizza next door.  It's a tough call for me when I am at Il Pizzaiolo if I should be eating pizza, or his non pizza menu items because it is all so amazing.  While I don't like Mineo's as much as Vincents, it is definitely a great place to get a feel for the old school Pittsburgh style pizza. 

Offline sanchez

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
I'm in the burgh right now waiting on my wifes doctor appointment.  I just called Vincents and they said their hours were 11:00-12:00pm so I'm good to go.  We are going to stop at PennMac first then head over to ardmore.

I've already tried I'll Pizzeola in mt lebanon so I thought I'd try Vincents just for the ying-yang comparison

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »
it's ying-yang all right!

Offline sanchez

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
Well, we survived our trip to Vincent's.

To start off, My Garmin Nuvi is retarded.  It took us to the right exit and got us on Ardmore Blvd.  But the location it had for Vincents was right off the exit at a 15 store building.  Was not hard to tell that the GPS was way off.  So we headed back north toward WTAE and ran into a hood overrun by some pretty scary looking thugs.  Stopped at a gas station right past WTAE and asked for directions.  The lady looked at me like I was nuts.  But some guy walked in and told me to go south a mile or two and that it was right past a Dominos Pizza.  And he was right, we had finally made it there.

The reviews were all correct in that the place was not much to look at.  Kind of a dive bar with a about 7 ot 8 tables.  And a weird smell of sewage gas radiating from somewhere.  But I kind of expected all of this after reading reviews.  No big deal.  The young girl that took our order was relatively friendly.  We decided we'd try a medium pepperoni pie.  It took about 10 minutes and when she brought it out we were both surpised at how large the medium was.  The crust was very thick and puffy just like we expected.  And I had read the stories about rediculous amounts of toppings.  THis certainly was the case as the pepperoni seemd to be about 1/2 inch thick across most fo the pie.  I like pepperoni as much as the next guys but that was just way too much.  If i had it over to do again I would've order a cheese pie or something with veggies.  As you'll see in the picture below this thing was a fire hazard. 

I shoveled a slice onto my plate and was greeted by the nastiest grease slick I've ever seen.  I'm not one to expect a pizza to be healthy but this was the "Heart Attack" of all pizzas.  Definately the most unhealthy pizza I've ever seen.  I ate with a fork and the first few bites actaully tasted pretty good.  The first thing I noticed was the fantastic cheese they used on their pies.  Definately some type of smoked provalone.  The cheese was great and even though the crust was very different it also was quite good.  But the Pepperoni overdose kind of killed this one for me.  We picked off as much of the pepperoni that would could and used a few napkins to sort of coral the grease pit.  I ended up managing to eat two slices and my wife was able to eat one.  She packed up the pizza for us and we brought it home in the trunk in case some environmental disaster took place during transport.  It's sitting in the fridge but to be honest I'm not sure we'll even eat it. 

The pizza as we ordered it was pretty low rated on my pizza scale.  It was just too ungodly oily.  The entire middle section of the crust was soaked red from the oily pepperoni.  I can however see a lot of potential in this type of pie with a smarter topping selection.  The pie is definately a shocker when you first see it and the restaurant itself is fine.  It's just too over the top for me.

If I had the choice to go to Vincents or Il Pizzeola there is no doubt in my mind I'd select Il PIzzeola.  Their pizza is very cleanly done and has that old word taste.  Lighter, fresher, and simpler. 

But I can see why vincents has it's followers because I truely have never had a pizza that was made like the make them at vincents.

Sorry about the low quality picture.  It was froma  camera phone.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
I have to admit that looks beautiful and disgusting at the same time!  It is truly the best cheese I have ever had on a pizza, but I agree that they use way too much.   The plusses of vincents are really the high heat, and the fact that they are always very on top of their dough proofing.  I have never had a pizza there that wasn't made with dough right at it's peak of usability, and that is extremely rare in any pizzeria. I do think that after seeing and hearing about your experience that next time I am there I will order a light cheese/light pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »
scott,

Is it a Provolone cheese that Vincent's uses, or possibly a Provolone/mozzarella blend? And is the crust on the sweet side, like a Papa John's crust, or just plain thick?

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
Kind of a dive bar with a about 7 or 8 tables.  And a weird smell of sewage gas radiating from somewhere. 

The smell has been like that for a while - I was drinking a Yuengling draft the last time I was in waiting for my pie to come out. I watched an employee with flour all over his hands go into the restroom - he came out and still had flour all over his hands - I haven't been back since -  I have concluded going to that place is best when you are out with a bunch of guys and really over-served.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »
Peter, the crust is not sweet or thick.  It just has a huge (and amazing) cornicione.  It is pretty much a standard NY style dough formulation, but maybe slightly thicker.   My guess would be a .105 thickness factor.  The cheese is a blend of mozzarella and provolone.