Author Topic: Opinion Poll Authentic Neapolitan Pizza in the US? ...could it survive?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline ebpizza

Do you think the American palette could support authentic Neapolitan pizzerias here in the US?

Im talking about wood fired ovens (not gas powered), built with the same materials and dimensions as those found in Naples, uncut individual size pizzas without the overload of cheese and untraditional toppings, made with soft flour and charred on the rim, a pizza that can be folded into quarters etc....

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
I THINK IT DEPENDS WHERE YOU LIVE.  I'M ORIGINALLY FROM PITTSBURGH PA AND NOW LIVE HERE IN CALIFORNIA AND HAVEN'T FOUND A DECENT PIZZA YET.  THERE IS HARDLY ANY NY OR CHICAGO PIZZA HERE...........BUT THESE PEOPLE EAT A LOT OF PIZZA!..........VERY DIFFERENT FROM BACK EAST.........................

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
There was one that opened in Savannah but didn't last long even with a wood fired oven.
Not to say it wont work, it just requires a very large population. Keep in mind there are a lot of Domino's pizza places in New York city even with the touted New York style pizza.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 05:02:17 PM by Randy »

Offline JimBob

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
If it's the only item you make then I would say no.
JimBob

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
ebpizza I moved the two topics together to keep things straight.

Randy

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
I've come to the conclusion that kids rate highly on what is eaten. Pizza Hut is a top selling pizza, where kids like bread, and adults and kids alike savor its version of crispy with the taste of fats. I've watched kid's faces as well when they saw what appeared to be burnt pizza at A16 in San Francisco.

The #1 selling topping is Pepperoni in the US-- ain't seen that one on the Naples list. It was the first topping my mom requested while visiting and I took her to A16. Man, was she dissapointed, and I just buried my head. If it wasn't for me, she'd of walked out. She far preferred my NY style with my separately grilled variations of toppings and slightly thicker crust, with a tug to it. We have a place in the bay area that uses Caputo and provides various toppings. But you can't tell the difference anymore, and their salads and rotisserie chickens seem to take precedence in orders. 

Depending on where you live is also a very good point. In the midwest, Food TV mentioned that people want a meal. That's my experience as well, and I know plenty of people in that area who scoff at Neapolitan. In places like the SF bay area, the same holds true of various cultures, where high revenues are expected from their homes, while paying the least to feed their entire families so they can afford their homes. So lots of toppings with minimal cost stand out. There's a place for everything though. People go for the high end Italian in Little Italy (North Pointe) in SF or Santana Row in San Jose, as well as other places where taste is preferred to the little you get on the plate. It's got to be targeted though. I noticed at A16, many orders do not always involve pizza.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 09:08:37 PM by giotto »

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
Uno Pizza Napolietano  is Authentic.  Unlike A16, he uses real Mozzzarela di Buffalo.
4 pizzas on the menu, no toppings.  No nothing else.  Amazing crust.   Wood fired oven that he regulates with wood shavings.  One pizza maker, the owner.
But. . .  this is in NY.  I am not sure how it would play in Peoria.  NY has a pickle store.  Where else in the US could you open a pickle store?

Tom

pizzapan