Author Topic: Need help to find out why my pizza has a doughy tast to it?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline bocajr9

Need help to find out why my pizza has a doughy tast to it?
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just started making my own pizza and each time they have been getting better. My only problem is that my pizza dough has a doughy taste after each bite. At first I thought it was because I wasn't cooking it long enough. Then I made a very thin crust pizza and toasty but it still had that after doughy taste. Why can't I make a pizza like the commercial pizza places do? I use the ingredients I'm told to use and it's not what I want. I usually prepare my dough like this

2.5 cup of purpose flour

7 grams of yeast (.25 ounces)

.25 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of warm water

.25 teaspoon sugar

1 tbsp of olive oil

Knead for 10 minutes

Let it sit for 2 hours

cut in half just made half of the dough for a small thin crust pizza

made the shape of the pizza I wanted nice and thin. Put in preheated oven of 425 degrees let the dough cook for 15 minutes. Then Added the sauce and the cheese.  Put back in the oven for another 15 minutes and ready to eat. I make a killer sauce and use fresh cheese, but the dough came out really crunchy and the dough is like hard chewy then normal pizza. The doughy taste was still there. What am I doing wrong ??? Please help. Thank you

Online RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Need help to find out why my pizza has a doughy tast to it?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Could it be possible that it hasn't proofed long enough?  Normally, 2 hours is just right, but maybe if you extended the time before you use the dough, it may get rid of that doughy taste.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Puma,

Here's your recipe in grams which makes it much easier to scale and work with...

312.5 grams flour               100.0%
236.59 grams of water       75.7%
7 grams yeast                       2.24%
1.42 gr salt                            0.45%
1.2 grams of sugar                0.38%
13.45 grams olive oil             4.30%

First off, the total dough weight comes to 572.16 grams. Is that for one pizza and if so, what size?

Another thing that stands out is the amount of water and oil. Both are too high if you want to make a NY-style pizza at home. I would go with a water or hydration amount of somewhere between 60% - 65%. I would also decrease the oil amount to perhaps 1.5%, increase the salt amount to maybe 2% for a short proofing time and raise the sugar amount to 1%, or maybe 1.5%, for a same day dough.

Also, you need to increase the baking temperature of your oven. I don't know how high it will go but it should preheat the stone, possibly on the lowest rack, at 500F for at least one hour. Bake time at those temps shouldn't be more than 8-9 minutes tops, maybe even less.

But since we don't know what size of pizza you are making, 12", 14" 16" 18", etc I can't really post any adjusted measurements.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Commander rainbow veins

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
We all assume you are using a stone because most of us use a stone.
but do you use a stone?
it seems like you dont if you prebake the pizza crust first.
what do you use?
what size pizzas are you making?

I dont know if you would like this idea
but if you are having a problem with dough you can buy dough from your local pizzeria
you can try it out and see how it does?
i never get pizzeria or store bought dough
but my mother does since she has similar problems