Author Topic: Electorlux dlx 2000  (Read 9270 times)

Offline spook

• I Love Pizza!
Electorlux dlx 2000
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »
thanks guys...  this thing works great for the dough... it does have a learning curve, but its not that hard.

Made a couple za's tonight, and wow, the crust is much better

Worth ditching the KA.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Electorlux dlx 2000
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:52:40 AM »
spook, let me know when you figure out how to do a hydration below 60% with the roller/scraper.

Offline spook

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »
I've only done a couple batches, but i would assume that the dough hook is used for stuff below that point...   I did 58% last night, and had to switch up to the dough hook and scraper

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:01:48 PM »
spook, let me know when you figure out how to do a hydration below 60% with the roller/scraper.

Scott, I suspect you've long since figured out how to do this, but I thought I would post this just to clue new Electrolux owners onto a simple tip.

In one thread I read how someone recommended letting the roller just hang loose against the right side of the bowl, but I think he hadn't understood the machine yet.  I don't know why Electrolux doesn't make this clear in their instructions (actually they say nothing about it) but I started getting awesome control over dough no matter what size or hydration percentage once I realized to start the roller as far LEFT as possible in the bowl.  Then, you adjust 1) that gap between the roller and scraper, and 2) the RPMs (minimum necessary) to get a good kneading action going.

Once I figured out how to use it, I totally fell in love with my Elecrolux.  It is built like a tank, cleans easily, and works effortlessly on both small and large dough batches.  If you don't want a white machine (they are cheapest), here's a company that sold me a metallic gray one for $499 (the best price I could find), free shipping, and sent it the very day I ordered it:

http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3370

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:58:57 PM »
Les, this is so exciting.  I had always tried the technique of just letting the roller loose to the far right. I have been totally happy with my dough, so happy in fact, that I feel like I have been making crusts just as tender and flavorful as what I had in Naples and in New York at  Una Pizza Napoletanna, my benchmarks.  I can't even imagine a better knead than what I have achieved, but I must admit my dough has been really wet.  Now having the option to get the hydration percent lower is going to help me when I want do do a different type of dough than the aqua fresca Neapolitan type.   THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Offline Les

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:17:28 PM »
Les, this is so exciting.  I had always tried the technique of just letting the roller loose to the far right. I have been totally happy with my dough, so happy in fact, that I feel like I have been making crusts just as tender and flavorful as what I had in Naples and in New York at  Una Pizza Napoletanna, my benchmarks.  I can't even imagine a better knead than what I have achieved, but I must admit my dough has been really wet.  Now having the option to get the hydration percent lower is going to help me when I want do do a different type of dough than the aqua fresca Neapolitan type.   THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

You sound like a true lover of excellence.  I am happy to have played a very tiny role.

But don't you love the engineering of that Electrolux?  I was so turned on by it I started having erotic dreams (not really).  I find it amazing how effortlessly it does with 450 watts what KA can't do with 650.  Superior engineering beats out power in a great Germanic feat of design.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:22:40 PM by Les »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 11:07:58 PM »
I agree, the machine is totally amazing.  I just wish they made a huge one so that I could buy one to use in my pizzeria.

Uh oh, I am starting to get pretty serious about this pizzeria idea.........scary!

Offline Les

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »
I can't even imagine a better knead than what I have achieved . . .

The main difference is the knead takes a lot less time.  I was doing it your old way and it was taking forever, but as you say, the machine still turned out great dough.  I have been working with a type of dough that uses ice instead of water (which I'm getting ready to publish here . . . Peter has been helping me test it), and that dough took nearly twice as long to finish.  But once I figured out the left side thing, I was finishing in the normal time.  The other day I made 3 pizzas in the Electrolux with the ice, and it was no problem, not the slighest strain that I could detect, but my 425 watt KA (which I just sold) strained a bit with even one batch (ices makes the machine work harder).  The only thing I can't figure out yet is how the dough hook works.  I tried it with the three batch size and couldn't get it going . . . but maybe the ice option interfers with how it is supposed to work.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
Les, I think that by most standards my dough is underkneaded because of the way I have been using the electrolux.  The amount of time I mix is more determined by how fast I am adding flour, as I am adding it gradually the whole time.  I am never anywhere near being able to do a windowpane test.  I am going to try your method today and see what happens. Again, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 11:53:37 AM by scott r »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 11:20:05 AM »
Les,

I sensed from one of your earlier posts that dough batch size doesn't appear to be a limitation of the machine. Have you (or scott?) identified the lower limit of dough batch size, that is, the smallest dough batch than one would have to make to warrant owning an Electrolux worthwhile?

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 11:35:34 AM »
Peter, I have had no problem making 1000 gram batches, perfect for two 15-16 inch pies, or three smaller ones.  A single doughball would probably not work as well, but I must admit that I have never tried.  My typical batch is 1/2 of Marco's recipe, starting with 500 g of water, and ending up with a very wet dough close to 65% hydration.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 01:04:58 AM »
Les, I tried your "keep the roller all the way left" technique, and I must have messed something up.  Basically the machine did no kneading at all, and I went back to my old faithful with the roller all the way loose.  Maybe I need to speed up the spin??  I am guessing this after just re-reading your post from earlier.  I always keep the machine on the slowest setting.  Do you have any way to post a video???

Maybe I can help you with the dough hook.....

You still need to use the scraper with the dough hook.  Place the dough hook into the same slot that the scraper goes into.  Then you actually put the scraper into the dough hook attachment.  Once you do this you will be all set.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »
Les:

You said to start all the way to the left.  Does this mean you are holding the arm? 
I'm still drowning in hydration.  It just won't mix my regular formula.

Offline Les

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
Les,

I sensed from one of your earlier posts that dough batch size doesn't appear to be a limitation of the machine. Have you (or scott?) identified the lower limit of dough batch size, that is, the smallest dough batch than one would have to make to warrant owning an Electrolux worthwhile?

Peter, I have made 430g dough (for one pizza) without the slightest problem.  In my answer to Scott I'll explain how I adjust for the batch size.

Offline Les

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
Les, I tried your "keep the roller all the way left" technique, and I must have messed something up.  Basically the machine did no kneading at all, and I went back to my old faithful with the roller all the way loose.  Maybe I need to speed up the spin??  I am guessing this after just re-reading your post from earlier.  I always keep the machine on the slowest setting.  Do you have any way to post a video???

Scott, I am answering you and PizzaPolice at the same time.  You don't "hold" the arm to the left, but push it as far left as possible and then tighten the adjustment knob at the back of the arm to secure your roller in place. This is where I start until I decide how much to open the roller up from the left.

As you know, when the dough first starts mixing it sticks to the roller, but one clean-off and you are ready to go.  With the size of your dough ball now determined, turn on the machine.

What you are trying to do is create a balance with 1) the opening between the roller and the scraper, and 2) the RPMs.  So first adjust the roller-scraper opening slightly smaller than the dough ball size by turning your adjustment knob; then increase RPMs until the dough is slowly forced through the opening you've chosen.  You can make adjustments to both your roller-scraper space and RPMs until you get the right kneading action.  You want the dough going through the opening (and somewhat under the roller) in a nice slow motion, so choose the minimum RPMs to achieve that (yet don't be afraid to turn it up as high as needed either).  When dough gets stuck to the scraper, you can push that forward a little while dough is passing by and the dough will pick it up.  As the dough softens, continue to make adjustments to keep the kneading action optimal. 

You will know when you've got the right balance because this machine really kicks butt when you get it right.  The picture I've included shows my machine working this way.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
I have read in another forum that "Cook's Illustrated" is doing a mixer test for the Nov/Dec issue. I believe the DLX 2000 is part of this test. I'm looking forward to their findings since I have been staring at the DLX for a long time. Actually I put most weight on opinions from real users like folks in this forum. We'll see.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 07:52:44 PM »
I have read in another forum that "Cook's Illustrated" is doing a mixer test for the Nov/Dec issue. I believe the DLX 2000 is part of this test. I'm looking forward to their findings since I have been staring at the DLX for a long time. Actually I put most weight on opinions from real users like folks in this forum. We'll see.
As much as I respect and follow the recommendations of the fine folks at Cooks Illustrated, I think their test criteria may not address the aspects that are most important to pizza dough. Whipping cream and beating eggs and batters are very different tasks from kneading breads which can be very different from kneading some types of pizza dough.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:22 PM »
I sure hope you didn't follow their pizza dough recipe some years back Bill!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 08:20:09 PM »
Bill,

In an email I got from Cook's Illustrated announcing the stand mixer tests, the pertinent part reads as follows:

Equipment Corner: Standing Mixers
We've just finished a marathon evaluation of standing mixers that included 18 models (one cost $1,500!) tested on everything from whipping cream to making cookie dough. The toughest test? Our rustic Italian bread, which requires 15 minutes of kneading: Six mixers failed to complete the task, and shaking, sputtering, and smoking (from the overworked motors) abounded. Even more surprising was the poor performance of some of the 7-quart models, equipped with monster-size whisk attachments that left the two egg whites we tried to whip completely undisturbed. Our advice: A 5- or 6-quart mixer is plenty big--but still small enough to beat a few egg whites or whip a small amount of cream. For full details on our tests, look for the November/December issue of Cook's Illustrated.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:23:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 08:46:26 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for that "review preview". In my experience, brioche was the toughest test on a mixer. A batch burned up my small KitchenAid. I look forward to their review. 

Bill/SFNM