Author Topic: SF bay area motherlode of canned Italian tomato products  (Read 1797 times)

Offline nikesparq

SF bay area motherlode of canned Italian tomato products
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
I think that Lunardi's Markets has the best selection of canned Italian or Italian-style tomato products in the SF bay area, even compared to some Italian groceries/deli's.  If I'm mistaken, someone please chime in!

The list below is from one of their locations and is roughly sorted by price (descending).  I say "roughly" because it was based on the actual price, not price per oz.  I won't post the actual prices but I can tell you that the Cento San Marzano tomatoes are almost $6 and the Strianese small entire natural cherry tomatoes are less than $2.

One caveat - I didn't have time to read all the labels so I failed to note down which ones are really imported (sorry).

Are there any "gems" that stand out to anyone?  I've only tried about 5 or 6 of these products and was hoping for some recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

Cento San Marzano tomatoes
Italbrand tomatoes with basil leaf DOP
Zia Rosa San Marzano tomatoes DOP
Strianese tomatoes DOP
San Marzano tomato puree
San Marzano diced tomatoes
San Marzano crushed tomatoes
San Marzano whole peeled
Bella Terra organic Italian whole peeled tomatoes
Strianese peeled tomatoes
Carmelina Italian whole tomatoes
Carmelina Italian chopped tomatoes
Bionaturae organic strained tomatoes
Italbrand Italian peeled tomatoes
Strianese strained tomatoes
6in1 ground tomatoes
Carmelina peeled tomatoes
Carmelina chopped tomatoes
Cento crushed tomatoes
Cento tomato puree
Cento whole tomatoes
Dinapoli crushed tomatoes in heavy puree
Strianese small tomatoes DOP
Strianese small entire natural cherry tomatoes

Other:  Middle Earth Organics organic extra thick passata rustica

Cheers!

Offline jpc

Re: SF bay area motherlode of canned Italian tomato products
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
I haven't tried many of those, so I'll let others chime in, but since you mentioned Lunardi's...

They took over the former Cosentino's store on Bascom in Campbell.  I was hoping the store would carry the same stuff, and for the most part it does, but the notable exception for me is the 6in1 tomatoes that are missing...   :'(

Since they are on your list, it might be a temporary thing.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Nice, wish I was there. According to the picture on their website, Cento has 19 different varieties of canned or bottled tomato product. I'm sure that other companies have a similar line-up. Hard to even find them all, no less try them!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
Lunardi's also sells fresh yeast - they are the only grocery in the South bay area that I've found that does.  And they carry egg-less imported Italian pappardelle pasta, which is impossible to find anywhere else.  I love Lunardi's.