Author Topic: Should I scrap my dough  (Read 670 times)

Offline sum1else

Should I scrap my dough
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »
Hi,

I have a dough recipe that I've used in the past with great results. I did a 4 hour counter rise last time.
I wanted to try a 48 hour cold rise this time, so I made the dough on Friday for Sunday night's use.

The dough doubled at room temperature in an hour, I punched it down and kneaded for 15 seconds, oiled and put in the fridge. When I woke up this morning, the dough was huge. It was probably 4x the size. I imagine this was because the room temperature was 85deg and humid, so the yeasts were going crazy. I punched it down, and put it back in the fridge. It feels fine... I'm just worried that it won't cook off right.

I'm wondering whether I should scrap the dough and make another dough to go for a 24 hour rise, with less time at room temperature. I need it for tomorrow night.

Do you have any insight?

Offline Tman1

Re: Should I scrap my dough
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
When you do a longer cold ferent, you need to lower the amount of yeast.

Punching it down and putting it back in the fridge will slow the yeastie beasties a little.  This might be a good time for an experiment. Keep the dough you have and see what happens, but make another batch using a different recipe. This way you can see how both react and taste, and you should have a good batch of dough no matter what.