Author Topic: Cheap Ischia Starter  (Read 2400 times)

Offline shuboyje

Cheap Ischia Starter
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My new oven is getting close to functional so I decided it was time to get a natural starter in order.  I've always used fresh yeast in the past, but want to give a starter a try.  I found this guy selling them on ebay for $6.00 with free shipping.  All the reviews where positive so I decided it was a no brainer to give it a shot.  I'll be the guinea pig and let you all know how it goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHERN-ITALIAN-SOURDOUGH-STARTER-ISCHIA-/150631052482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23124f74c2
-Jeff

Offline DannyG

Re: Cheap Ischia Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
Nice find. For $6 I'm going to try this as well. I have never worked with a starter before so this will be interesting.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
 I too am waiting for the results post the whole process for us  please
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DannyG

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
I received the starter and now attempting to bring it to life. Here is a link to the website of the company that it came from;
https://home.startingwithsourdough.com/

My first problem is going to be keeping it at the recommend temperature of not lower than 76 F. Here in CT it is getting cold and we keep the house thermostat low, below 70. I've put the starter near the furnace in hopes that might do it. Will keep you posted.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
You can also try the oven with the light on. Check to make sure it does not get too hot (>90F) first.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
noone is going to mention that sourdough.com strictly prohibits the resale of such beasties?

Offline DannyG

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
So I activated the starter over 5 days as per the instructions and all seemed to go well. I've never worked with a starter before but it would bubble up every time I fed it. On the 6th day I made some dough which is still fermenting. My problem was figuring out how much starter to use. After reading many posts I settled on 3% because I was going for a long 2-3 day ferment. It doesn't seem like it was enough as I'm not getting a very good rise. I guess this is going to be a long trial and error process.

Offline DannyG

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
So I activated the starter over 5 days as per the instructions and all seemed to go well. I've never worked with a starter before but it would bubble up every time I fed it. On the 6th day I made some dough which is still fermenting. My problem was figuring out how much starter to use. After reading many posts I settled on 3% because I was going for a long 2-3 day ferment. It doesn't seem like it was enough as I'm not getting a very good rise. I guess this is going to be a long trial and error process.

I was a bit premature with my concern about the dough rise. After 24 hours @ 70 degrees it really took off. This is when I balled it into individual containers and placed in my 56 degree cooler for another 24 hours. I brought it back to room temperature a couple of hours before baking. The pizzas were delicious. Bottom line, this starter works fine so far and no reason to think otherwise. A really good deal at $6.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
Danny
any pics of the starter process ( or pizzas)  mine has arrived as well
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DannyG

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
Sorry, I didn't take pics. I just followed their directions. I also used filtered water from a Brita jug, which is what I aways use for my pizza. For me the hardest part was finding a warm temperature but that was solved using the suggestion of putting it in the oven with the light on. I couldn't keep it on all the time because it got too warm but after a day I learned how to regulate it. I kept a thermometer by the container at all times. I used a square glass cookie jar type container with a glass top.

I just made sourdough waffles this Sunday morning using this starter. They were phenomenal.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-waffles-recipe

Offline dimitrios

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I just received my ischia starter from www.startingwithsourdough.com just $6. I just warmed up 1/2 cup of water and stirred the dry starter in. Half to wait half an hour then add the flour.
Will try and take pictures.

pizzapan