Author Topic: VPN certified pizzeria in Royal Oak, Michigan  (Read 1509 times)

Offline patdakat345

VPN certified pizzeria in Royal Oak, Michigan
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »
Didn't know that a US Pizzeria could get VPN certification. Here's one a few.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110915/COL20/109150355/Pizza-Neopolitan-way?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

pat

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: VPN certified pizzeria in Royal Oak, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
There are many many many pizzerias in the US that are VPN certified. That doesn't mean they are good though.

Online shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
I've already been there...
-Jeff

Online shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
Now that I'm home, here is the more detailed post.  I heard about this place "coming soon" last spring, and have been waiting for it to open.  Over labor day weekend there is a huge festival in Royal Oak, so I figured if they were gonna open any time soon, they would be open for that.  Sure enough I called and they had been open for four days, so off we went.

The pizza was pretty good, and I timed the bake at 1:16.  By far the fastest I have seen commercially in MI.  I thought the pie was pretty decent, nothing to write home about but given they've been open four days I felt it was a good representation of the style.  They were very lightly topped, and my wife took issue with that especially the lack of sauce.

The pizzaiolo was very good in my opinion, and I am not shocked to read he came from Naples.  You could tell he knew what he was doing.  You could also tell he was frustrated with the oven, and that will be their biggest battle.  The pre cast oven they have just didn't produce enough top heat to balance with the obviously high deck temperature.  He was trying to bake the pies on top of the peel to even it out, and still ended up doing a lot of doming(see the picture).  That wasn't a big deal when we were there because they weren't very busy.  If business picks up I can see them dropping the temperature like some many others seem to and in effect the product suffering, but I hope that isn't the case.  I really agree with Marco's statement that VPN should regulate the ovens used.  Watching the pizzaiolo's frustration only solidified that. 
-Jeff