Author Topic: New Kitchen Aid dough hook  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: New Kitchen Aid dough hook
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »
Nathan,
Sounds like you will be a happy pizza maker in a few short hours.

The power of this community is awe inspiring. When it comes to pizza, I'm not sure there is a limit we can't overcome.

I'm glad it has all worked out for you. I look forward to seeing pictures of your killer pies.

Hey thanks.

Done deal.  Just got back with a brand new Professional 600  ;D.  At first they acted like they might not do it since they don't carry that model anymore, but after I explained to them that they don't make that model anymore and that's why they don't carry it they didn't have a problem with it.  But it took the guy about 15 minutes to figure out the UPC code for the one I returned.  Not that big of a deal.  They charged me the difference between the two which was $20 plus tax.  So for $21.20 I "upgraded".  And I actually didn't even buy it from them in the first place.......shhhhhhhh...  : 8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:11:01 PM by Nathan »
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 09:32:40 AM »
Nathan,
I love it when a plan comes together. Now there is one more step to completing the circle.

Call KitchenAid up, if you haven't already, and return the spiral hook. It would be ironic if the same CSR handled your return. I can see the grin now...
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 10:15:25 AM »
An honest man is a treasure to all.

Randy

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 10:36:11 AM »
An honest man is a treasure to all.

Randy

I was thinking the same thing.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing that switch...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
Just to be clear. I exchanged my KitchenAid Artisan mixer to BB & B which was the chain from which the unit was originally purchased. My box had a BB & B shipping sticker affixed to it.

My guidance to Nathan was entirely based upon the unit being returned to the chain where it was originally purchased from. The strategy was intended to elaborate on their liberal return policy. Bill/SFNM also weighed in on this point. The problem Nathan had, as I saw it, was the length of service the original mixer had. Often times retailers have a much more open return policy than manufacturers.

My question to Nathan would be why couldn't you utilize the strategy offered with the retailer where you originally purchased the unit from?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 01:38:29 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 02:24:34 PM »
I wasn't attacking anyone, friend. I was just expressing my personal conviction.

Not looking to come off as passing judgement upon anyone, because I'm not.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 03:45:16 PM »
I originally bought the mixer from AG Lock and Hardware.  It's an Ace Hardware store that has a website and the lowest prices I could find for these mixers.  I checked their site last night and they're still cheaper than anyplace else I've seen for these.  I think it said $334 compared to $369 at like Amazon, plus I think it said free shipping. 

The first mixer I got from them started knocking something fierce after the first time I used it.  When I called KA the guy I spoke with tried telling me it was normal and didn't want to remedy the situation.  Then I told him I wanted him to hear it and held the phone near the mixer and turned it on.  He immediately said he'd send me a new one.  I'm not impressed with their customer service at all.  Yesterday I was kind of irritated before I got them on the phone and probably shouldn't have called when I did.  But it wouldn't have made any difference. 

The reason I didn't try to exchange the mixer through the original place of purchase is because I bought it in March of 2004.  I guess I could have tried doing it through them but ultimately I believe it's Kitchen Aid that'll be "eating" any loss.  They'll just sell it as a refurbished unit anyway. 

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 04:01:14 PM »
nytxn,
I didn't take your comments to be judgemental one way or the other, nor directed at me. No worries. Peace.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 01:36:57 AM »
Just for the record, BB&B never asked me if I bought it there.  So technically, I didn't lie to them.  Period.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 09:00:11 PM »
I'm on Freecycle for Austin and I put a 'want ad' out for a mixer to see what type of response I'd get. A lady offered to sell me a Kitchenaid Professional never used for $100.

If I wasn't flying out to NY tomorrow I'd think long and hard about picking it up.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 07:47:39 AM »
I'm going to purchase the new spiral hook regardless of the excuses KA has given. I have the KA model which has the lift bowl and is 325 watts. 5 quart bowl. True its not as powerful as the commercial KA models but, I don't mix more than 2 pies at once. Sure if you are going to mix 10 cups of flour at once it would'nt be good, but for us smaller batch mixers I feel it should work fine. KA customer service just want us all to buy another mixer. I will report back when I get the spiral hook and how it works with some pics... Its also funny but another note, on KA's website they only sell now lower end models which don't have the lift bowl-- you have to step up to the 3 commercial models where the bowl now lifts.. I guess mine was one of the last of this line which provided the lift bowl...pft...those pics of your pies are still amazing!

Offline tjacks88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
My understanding was that the issue with using the new spiral dough hook was not necessarily power, but that there was additional reinforcement added to the new models in the gearing to handle the vertical force cause by the new hook. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing what they want - just wanted to pass this along.

By the way, I've had great customer service from Kitchenaid - they have sent out replacement parts for free even out of warranty on occasion.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2005, 10:54:53 AM »
The spiral dough hook arrived. I got the "chrome finish" spiral hook. It fit my old kitchenaid model perfectly. I have the 5 quart 325 watt model with the bowl that raises and lowers. Anyway, it works fine for making 2 12 inch pies at a time. I don't overload the bowl and there is plenty of power without straining the motor.... great soft elastic dough was produced not to mention excellent pies as well. Its tops over the old dough hook they used to provide. So anyone wondering if they have to buy a whole new machine should look into seeing if the model they already have will work fine.