Author Topic: Pizza Lover  (Read 510 times)

Offline Heifer

Pizza Lover
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Hello everyone, I live in NY and have been trying to make pizza from scratch for a long time and have not been as successful with my results and have been searching recipes and websites to improve technique.. Found this website and followed the recipe on the site for thin crust pizza and prepared the dough yesterday and waiting for the dough to warm before I tackle the final dressing, rolling and baking.  My first problem encountered was mixing the dough.  I used a stand mixer 31/2 cups bread flour, 3/4 cup water plus salt,oil,sugar and yeast...  The recipe said it would take 3 to 4 minutes of mixing before the dough would form into a ball but my dough took about twenty before it balled.  I hope this will not result in a lousy pie which I will begin later.  Let you know how it came out later.  Anyone have a similar situation while making their dough?

buceriasdon

Re: Pizza Lover
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:21 AM »
The recipe says to let the dough set for 24 hours in the fridge. Did you follow the directions? Personally I think the recipe needs a bit more water depending on how you measured out the flour and water.
Don

Offline Heifer

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
I let the dough sit for 24 hrs in fridge.  Think your correct, need more water but how much?. The recipe on the website should be changed,  how does one do that?  Any keeper dough recipes for thin crust pizza you have utilized?

Offline Heifer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
The pizza came out OK, a bit bready and thick.  Considering I was using a recipe for thin slice crispy pizza I would say it was not a successful  endeavor.  Since this was my second attempt and making pizza with home made dough, I will try new recipes to get it right. How about a dough recipe for thin crust pizza that will help get me there. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »

How about a dough recipe for thin crust pizza that will help get me there. 

Heifer,

Is this the recipe you tried to get a Thin-Crust Pizza? http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php   If you can let us know, maybe we can point you to a recipe, or formula that might work for you with instructions.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Heifer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Norma,
          That's the one.  Any recommendations will be most appreciated.
Heifer

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
Norma,
          That's the one.  Any recommendations will be most appreciated.
Heifer

Heifer,

You might consider DKMís cracker syle dough recipe that Peter recommended to me at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php   Peter (Pete-zza) has tried out that formula many times in different ways at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html
Peter recently gave me the solutions to his success with the low hydration dough at Reply 16 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49138.html#msg49138
If you donít have a food processor, Peter does have other posts on his thread how to go about mixing the dough. 

I am still trying to master the DKM cracker style pizza.  Getting the right TF has a lot to do with getting a pizza crust that is thin and crispy.

If there are any other questions, just ask and either another member or I might be able to help you.

Norma

Offline Heifer

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
Norma,
Thanks.  I am going to try one and let you know how things worked out.
Heifer

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
Norma,
Thanks.  I am going to try one and let you know how things worked out.
Heifer

Heifer,

I hope your thin crispy pizza turns out better than my recent one did.  I will be interested in seeing how your pie turns out. If you follow Peter's directions, your pizza probably will turn out better than my attempts.

I still haven't managed to get a real thin and crispy crust.  I just made an attempt this morning, and if you are interested you can see my results at Reply 211
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13820.msg153518.html#msg153518

I used PZ-44 in the formula just to see if the dough would be easier to roll out without a proofing box.  I thought I followed all the directions right, but I must have done something wrong.

Best of luck!  :)

Norma

pizzapan