Author Topic: First Attempt: drawer broiler NY style & 3/8" steel  (Read 694 times)

Offline darrenb

First Attempt: drawer broiler NY style & 3/8" steel
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »
Relatively new to the site and hoping to continue my rapid improvement and experimentation. I'm stuck with a drawer-style broiler and thus unable to truly leverage the benefits of my steel. I've found limited success heating the steel in the oven and transferring to the the broiler drawer before baking. The pizzas are good but not great.

I've deployed the no-broiler set-up ("false" ceiling with small slit for airflow, heat deflector) as depicted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15856.msg251708.html#msg251708

My set-up (sorry - forgot a picture!)

Tinfoil and quarry stone tiles on the top rack of oven, with small opening on side opposite oven thermometer probe. I had the stones and no glazed black tiles and so used the tinfoil to increase heat reflectivity.

3/8" steel just below tiles. I placed a half-sheet roasting pan on rack below steel. Pan is slightly larger than steel.

Dough (3 pizzas):

Used Lehmann's calculator. KABF, 63% hydration, 1% salt and about .5% ADY.
Yeast bloomed in warm water for 5-7 min, cold water added to reduce temp. H20, yeast, and flour processed in food processor for roughly 40 seconds. I actually had to break into two balls because it was too much for the 14 cup processor. Let rest for 15 min then added salt & a bit of oil.

Ending temp: 78

Each ball was around 430g. Balled and placed in plastic deli containers. 2 day cold ferment, during which dough more than doubled but didn't explode. 2.5 hour room temp proof. Each pizza was about 14" in diameter.

My oven only goes to 500 but I cranked it a bit beyond that number. After 1 hour pre-heat, steel registered 520 degrees, close to 800 on the floor of the oven, and mid 600's on ceiling of tiles.

Bake

Pizza 1: 4.5 min bake and transferred to broiler (drawer) for maybe 30 seconds
San Marzano sauce (raw, salt/pepper and a tiny bit of oregano, chili flake, and oil), fresh motz, basic, evoo

Pizza 2: 5 min bake and another 30 seconds under broiler (drawer) - I wanted this one a bit more well done
same sauce, dry mottz, aged provolone, parm, hot soppressata, pickled banana peppers

Each pizza was a vast improvement over previous oven-only incarnations and somewhat better (and far easier) than broiler-only attempts. I preferred the char of the second pie but thought the dough was a bit thick overall (my girlfriend loved it).

Kept the 3rd ball in the fridge for another day. Ended up as a calzone....

Will try again this weekend with slightly smaller dough balls / thinner skins. Will move on to NH style soon....

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:58:04 PM by darrenb »

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
Re: First Attempt: drawer broiler NY style & 3/8" steel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Very nice results with this new set up. 
Trosenberg

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
I'd love to see pictures of the setup since I have a similar type oven.

Offline darrenb

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I'd love to see pictures of the setup since I have a similar type oven.

I'll post a pic Sunday - will be testing another batch this weekend.

I'm wondering whether I can achieve better results by lowering all of the components, which in theory would raise the temp. I'm also curious how significant a difference a black reflective surface would make over my quarry tile ceiling.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »

My oven only goes to 500 but I cranked it a bit beyond that number. After 1 hour pre-heat, stone registered 520 degrees, close to 800 on the floor of the oven, and mid 600's on ceiling of tiles.
 Will move on to NH style soon....
Do you mean "steel plate"?
Ceiling tiles are showing good heat number. Loose that "half sheet roasting pan" Move everything as low as she goes.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline darrenb

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Oops! I did mean "Steel". I've edited my original post.

I know that moving the entire set-up lower will bring it closer to the heat source but I'm concerned that doing so will result in burnt bottoms. I read a post where quarry tiles (as baking surface) caused burning without a heat reflector - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15856.80

Steel conducts more heat than the stone, so moving lower AND removing deflector may lead to trouble. As is, my bottom crusts were nearly perfect and my tops lagged a bit (hence finishing with broiler). I wouldn't mind a bit more charring (I'm a fan of NH style pies). However, the new set-up would need to reduce the cook times for the top at least as much as for the bottoms.

Offline darrenb

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
I'm also wondering why leaving a small "vent" in the false ceiling is necessary. I read somewhere on this blog that the airflow allows the pilot light to remain lit, but wouldn't air reach the pilot through the broiler drawer?

Will have to research....

Offline darrenb

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »

pizzapan