Author Topic: Open for business  (Read 26881 times)

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
Re: Open for business
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
I find it pretty good consistency, not sure what shaggy is, I also use the proof box on Pizza day to finish the fermentation process and get the doug soft to open the pizza easily, I like AT to tell you the truth it is the only flour I have tried, I think I tried KA flour at the beginning but I had no skills yet, I would like to try full strength as well and see the results, I think now it's time to experiment and see what can be improved

Polo
Awesome pies. Next time I come to TJ, I will make sure to visit your abode. Hopefully, I get to taste one of your famous pies :D

BTW, in the above thread, you had posted dough box with dough balls. Did you do cold fermentation for 2 days or how did you get them to be almost flat? This is what I see in professional pizzerias. Share the secret :)

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #201 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
live4u thanks for your comments, as for the proof box, I only use it to store the dough balls on Pizza day and to have an easier access when working, it helps to get the dough balls to room temp and it's easier to open the skin, I do a 3 day aprox cold ferment in round tupperwares and then I transfer the balls to the box on Pizza day.

I guess the balls are flat because there is nothing that holds them so they expand to the sides instead when in the tupper can't expand to the sides.
Regards Leo.

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »
live4u thanks for your comments, as for the proof box, I only use it to store the dough balls on Pizza day and to have an easier access when working, it helps to get the dough balls to room temp and it's easier to open the skin, I do a 3 day aprox cold ferment in round tupperwares and then I transfer the balls to the box on Pizza day.

I guess the balls are flat because there is nothing that holds them so they expand to the sides instead when in the tupper can't expand to the sides.

Thanks Polo. Thats helpful. So, do you see any rise (fermentation) when doing 3 days cold ferment in the tupper ware? can you post the picture of tupper ware, also the dough in the tupperware (with the rise)? I will try few things since my dough warm rise for 24 hrs is fermenting too much (have to reduce the ADY amount). I guess you use IDY. Can you share what difference did you see switching from ADY to IDY?

When you have to do the same day dough, do you still use IDY? Getting All trumps in bay area is very challenging.

Thanks

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
When doing the 3 day CF I don't get much of a rise just a bit, but I do see the fermentation bubbles on the dough, and then when I proof at room temp you get the rise, I can get pictures this weekend for you, I think I have always used IDY, the only difference I see is that ADY you need to activate with hot or warm water and you can kill it if it goes together with salt, IDY I just mix it with all the dry powders and thats it, rt water into the mixer, but as for the fermentation process I don't think it affects.

And yes for the same day dough I use IDY as well, I just change the ammount and proof on the top of my wood fire oven to speed the process with the warm temp, since I need them quickly, I don't usually do the same day dough, I prepare better with when I do the 3 day dough, so I don't have to go that way.
Regards Leo.

Offline roebedo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
That is one nice Pizza Oven!! 

Offline SLCpizzamaster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I loved reading all the posts about your ongoing story.  I am originally from Chula Vista and would love to have gotten pies from you.  A few questions for you...

How many employees do you have now?
How much do your dough balls weigh?
You still only making pizza on the weekends? Or are you doing weekdays as well?
How many pizzas do you make per day now?
How was the mozz on your desert pizzas?  I have always left the cheese off.

Your success is an inspiration!  Great job and all of your pizzas look delicious!!

Alex

Offline jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »
Wow Leo.  Just discovered this thread.  Incredible work man!  :chef: :chef: :chef:
Jeff

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
SLCpizzamaster hello as of now i have 2 employees and myself.
My dough balls weigh 634 grams .088 TF
Only make pizzas on the weekends i also have my weekly job that is the only reason eventually will have to resign and work full time with the pizzeria project.
Per day I make around 40 to 50 pies but my menu is not only pizza now, i sell pasta, lasagna, salads, calzone, subs, etc, but it depends some times my customers want a lot pizza sometimes they order calzone etc
the mozz on the dessert is great sweet and bit salty i also put on top cream cheese, make sure the the jam is very sweet
thank you guys for all the great comments I love what i do and will keep working to get better, below a couple of pies from sunday
Regards Leo.

Offline dflip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2015, 07:00:28 PM »
Looking good Polo!  What is your ADY %?  I've been playing around for a couple weeks between .025 and .04 with varying cold ferment times. 

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
16" 4 cheese, prosciutto and sundried tomatoes pie.

Same day emergency dough.
Regards Leo.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
16" 4 cheese, prosciutto and sundried tomatoes pie.

Same day emergency dough.
Leo,

For an emergency dough, that looks like a great pizza. How did it go over compared with your usual pizzas?

And would you mind sharing your emergency dough recipe and how you made it?

Peter

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Thank you Peter,

My mixing method is simple, I have a 30qt mixer, add the dry ingredients mix them, then add the water and EVOO and mixed for about 13-14 minutes, divide the dough balls and put them into tupperwares, weather is warm now so I did an outdoor temp rise, I needed them quick so the warm weather helps, sometimes if I need to speed up the process I put that doughs in top of my WFO chimney it is not hot, is just warmer than room temp, so the yeast reacts quickly, I don't know if these are normal methods for Pizza Making but I've managed to make it work and with great results, even if sometimes I don't have the best fermentation the Wood Fire Oven does the job, off course I try to be prepared as much as possible with 2 or 3 day cold ferment dough but sometimes I sell more than expected and my frigde is not big enough to store more.
Recipe for emergency dough below.

.088% TF
57% hydration
.30 IDY
2.70% salt
2%EVOO
1% Sugar
Regards Leo.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
One more thing, I did try the dough, made a calzone and it was pretty good, you can hardly notice it was same day dough maybe less bubbly on the cornizione but was great.
Regards Leo.