Author Topic: Some recent pizzas and a question about sourdough.  (Read 826 times)

Offline jonesyb

Some recent pizzas and a question about sourdough.
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Not posted for a very long time so thought I'd show you some pizzas I've made recently. http://imgur.com/a/2joXC#0 (Can you still not remote link images on here?)

Also, I have a 100% flour/water starter which is ready to use. Can anyone recommend me a recipe that uses sourdough instead of dried yeast? I don't seem to get many results when searching. I generally use this recipe for my dough so something similar would be ideal. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.0.html

Or, how can I calculate how much starter I need for a 48 hour rise dough?

Thank you

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Some recent pizzas and a question about sourdough.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
This will get you close. All starters perform differently. Your workflow and formula will also effect things. You'll probably have to make it a few times and tweak the quality of starter to get thing show you want them.

I'd suggest 24 of the 48 hours in balls (no less than 12). Once you nail your starter quantity, you can probably get this down to 8. The first few times you make it, it is important to keep an eye on it for at least the last 12 hours so you want warm it up a little or cool it down some if things are progressing to slow/fast. Sourdough typically rises slower than you think, and it's better to error on the side of a little overfermented as opposed to a little underfermented (thought that is not necessarily all that bad either). It's also better to make adjustments earlier rather than later so you don't end up with dough that is too warm or too cool when it is time to bake. Too cool is definitely preferable than too warm from a workability standpoint.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
Brilliant! Thank you for the comprehensive information!

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
Could I not just make the balls straight away? Then there is no need to handle the dough again. Why do it 12 hours prior to the bake?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Could I not just make the balls straight away? Then there is no need to handle the dough again. Why do it 12 hours prior to the bake?

You can. The longer the dough in balls, the more extensible it will be, AOTBE. Dough can be too extensible - to the point it's very difficult to work with. Flour, formula, and workflow all have a meaningful impact too, so there is no set rule that works in every situation. Generally speaking, 6-24 hours in balls is the range. It's one more thing you need to experiment with to figure out what works best for you.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
Nice gear Ben....are you going to get a BS?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »

Thanks! But what do you mean by gear? That isn't my kitchen by the way but it's very nice to cook in. What is a BS?

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:00:54 AM »
You can. The longer the dough in balls, the more extensible it will be, AOTBE. Dough can be too extensible - to the point it's very difficult to work with. Flour, formula, and workflow all have a meaningful impact too, so there is no set rule that works in every situation. Generally speaking, 6-24 hours in balls is the range. It's one more thing you need to experiment with to figure out what works best for you.

Thank you. This is interesting information. I just used a couple of balls that were in balls for  4 days and the dough was very extensible, I now understand what you mean by this. I also used a 1 day old dough and it was much tougher, it also resulted in a pizza that wasn't as light.

My first sourdough experiments have been successful, although I don't see much difference between it and the normal dried yeast recipe in terms of flavour. I'll need to make more of both, maybe at the same time to make sure.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »

Oh, do you mean baking stone? I use a thick piece of granite. The tray in the pictures I use as a rudimentary peel. Yes I know I've been told not to use granite as it's dangerous but it has already cracked and in two pieces.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
Tested this  dough at home in my not very hot oven. Pizza has never risen very well in it. However, the dough seems to taste and feel like any other dough I make so I don't see the point of using sourdough starter over dried yeast.

I'd really like a wood fired oven to play around with.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.0.html

Peter

Thank you! I'm now even more intrigued why I was asked that question as don't see the relevance to my post.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
Thank you! I'm now even more intrigued why I was asked that question as don't see the relevance to my post.

"I'd really like a wood fired oven to play around with."

A BS can give you very similar results for a couple hundred bucks.  :chef:

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
However, the dough seems to taste and feel like any other dough I make so I don't see the point of using sourdough starter over dried yeast.

It's not for everyone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
Tested this  dough at home in my not very hot oven. Pizza has never risen very well in it. However, the dough seems to taste and feel like any other dough I make so I don't see the point of using sourdough starter over dried yeast.

"Taste and feel" dramatically change at very high heat.   That is why I asked if you were getting a BS....the pics from your first post indicated you were trying to do NP type pie and ,although beautiful, those ovens in your pics won't take you there.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »
   "I'd really like a wood fired oven to play around with."

A BS can give you very similar results for a couple hundred bucks.  :chef:

Thank you! I shall research this option further.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »
    "Taste and feel" dramatically change at very high heat.   That is why I asked if you were getting a BS....the pics from your first post indicated you were trying to do NP type pie and ,although beautiful, those ovens in your pics won't take you there.

I understand. I'm not trying to do any particular type of pizza really, I'm just trying to make pizza at this point. I do understand that if I wanted to make NP pies my oven would have to be nearly twice as hot as those in my first post.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
It's not for everyone.

OK, I hear you. I am glad I'm trying these things out though, and at least getting edible results. The knowledge is good for me.

Online cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
What is that first pie? Is it pine nuts and some sort of burrata cheese? I would DESTROY that thing.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 03:40:23 AM »
What is that first pie? Is it pine nuts and some sort of burrata cheese? I would DESTROY that thing.

It is just garlic, butter, olive oil and salt. It was quite nice actually.