Author Topic: same methods....different hydration!!!  (Read 12530 times)

Offline censored

Re: same methods....different hydration!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
John,

Your pizzas look awesome! I just put a batch in the fridge 5 minutes ago. I started the preferment at 7 pm last night, going to reball on Tuesday and cook Wednesday. I might have messed up one step, I put all my yeast in the preferment, so hopefully it is still alive today. I'll post pics once, they are done. Thanks.

Jeff

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Fantastic!!

John

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
John,

How much yeast should we use in the preferment?  I used 1/4 and it turned out pretty well.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
John,

How much yeast should we use in the preferment?  I used 1/4 and it turned out pretty well.
I used .05 ounce...it's not much!!

John

Offline Lester7009

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
 Thanks John you always teach so well. Thank You

Offline censored

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
John,

Just had the pies tonight, they were very good! I didn't have any issues having had used the full yeast in the preferment. My dough didn't die at all, in fact, I was surprised how lively it was! even after reshape it still nearly doubled in size in a day. The dough was very easy to work with too. The only thing for me was that it turned out a little whiter than I would have hoped for, but I am starting to think that is something in my technique, because I have had it happened on other recipes. So yeah, thanks for the recipe, might be a keeper for me since my wife gave it a 10/10!

Jeff

Offline pythonic

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
Jeff,

What kind of flour did you use?
What temp was your oven and did you cook the pizza directly on a stone?

Offline censored

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 01:49:01 AM »
Hi Pythonic. I use KABF. I have a gas stove that I preheat for an hour. I have one stone on the bottom rack then another stone on the top 2/3 rack. I do 4 minutes on the bottom stone, 2 on the top. The bottom stone seems to run a little cooler in my gas oven.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
John,

Just had the pies tonight, they were very good! I didn't have any issues having had used the full yeast in the preferment. My dough didn't die at all, in fact, I was surprised how lively it was! even after reshape it still nearly doubled in size in a day. The dough was very easy to work with too. The only thing for me was that it turned out a little whiter than I would have hoped for, but I am starting to think that is something in my technique, because I have had it happened on other recipes. So yeah, thanks for the recipe, might be a keeper for me since my wife gave it a 10/10!

Jeff

I'm glad the recipe is working for you.  Now, try experimenting by moving your reball time a little closer to bake time.....I've recently been balling 3 to 6 hours prior to baking with excellent results.

John

Offline pythonic

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
I'm glad the recipe is working for you.  Now, try experimenting by moving your reball time a little closer to bake time.....I've recently been balling 3 to 6 hours prior to baking with excellent results.

John

John,

When u reball are you able to close up the bottom of
the doughball?  Ive tried numerous time but the dough is just too cold. I just pinch it together but it still opens a little bit.   I dont think its altered my results though.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
John,

Just to clarify, after your 15hr or so room temp poolish you are the then putting the finalized dough in the fridge for up to 4 days to develop the flavor even further?  Your dough isn't blowing out right?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
John,

Just to clarify, after your 15hr or so room temp poolish you are the then putting the finalized dough in the fridge for up to 4 days to develop the flavor even further?  Your dough isn't blowing out right?

After the 15 hour poolish, the dough is mixed, then scaled, lightly balled and refrigerated.  The longer it sits, the higher it rises and sometimes gets big bubbles by day 6.  But, the balling process takes care of all of this, and I have no problems.

john

Offline sotaboy

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I did this and something went horribly wrong, which I assume was my fault. i've never worked with a preferment. Making a small trial pizza, and I want to see if I did the math/procedure right.
Formula for 62% hydration calls for 206g flour, 128g water.  So for preferment, I should use 206*.33 = 68g flour, plus 68g water, right?
Then for final dough, I should use 206 less 68g flour, which is 138g, and 128 less 68g water, which is 60g, right?
Not concerned with any other ingredients, just making sure flour/water ratio is correct.
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
correct!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
John: I've been really impressed by your work with preferments and also your thread on the effects of bulk fermentation. I now have my 33 percent preferment into it's 10th hour on the counter. I see in this thread that you talk about lightly balling, refrigerating, and then re-balling. What I'm wondering (and my apologies if it is already in the bulk thread... I didn't see it) is if you have tried to bulk ferment (instead of lightly balling) and then ball 12-24 hours before baking.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:51 PM »
John: I've been really impressed by your work with preferments and also your thread on the effects of bulk fermentation. I now have my 33 percent preferment into it's 10th hour on the counter. I see in this thread that you talk about lightly balling, refrigerating, and then re-balling. What I'm wondering (and my apologies if it is already in the bulk thread... I didn't see it) is if you have tried to bulk ferment (instead of lightly balling) and then ball 12-24 hours before baking.

Barry

I have tried everything Barry, I have all kinds of experiments in many threads

Here is an example, and I think it talks about your question
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.0.html

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
Mr. fazzari knows pizza...beyond a shadow of a doubt.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:14 AM »
I have tried everything Barry, I have all kinds of experiments in many threads

Here is an example, and I think it talks about your question
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.0.html

John

Thanks, John. It sure does answer my question. This time around, I have time to bulk ferment for around 42 hours. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and will post results after baking (as I usually do when I start to use a new dough, I'll start a new thread so I can keep track of progress).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »
First try at this, and all I can say is WOW.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ed71839c6f399f5f5d736d3340434ee1&topic=23460.0

Thank you, John.

Barry

Offline texmex

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Thanks again, John for your experiments.  I am back at it, and recalled a succulent few pizzas made in my home oven using your methods  :chef: 

Just got my starter going again (made 30 pies on Sunday-but was not completely pleased with my rushed results-- although the group was satisfied)

Having come back to this thread I look forward to playing with dough again. ;D
Reesa

pizzapan